Required Insurance - Options

tm_aw_love

Since many people already have travel insurance, and since Carnival is requiring insurance for all unvaccinated guests;

What COVID-19 friendly options have people found to insure their trips?

And, how expensive/cheap have you found options?

3 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

Since many people already have travel insurance, and since Carnival is requiring insurance for all unvaccinated guests;

You may want to check the Travel Insurance board here on CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

They only require it for non vaccinated age 12 and over. Its waived for under age 12.

23 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

Most comprehensive travel policies today treat Covid as any other illness. Just be sure to read the policy to be sure it does not specifically exclude Covid.

If you are not interested in the cancellation coverage, you can insure a minimum amount, say $500, and still get medical and evacuation. That will reduce the cost.

You can get quotes at tripinsurancestore.com or insuremytrip.com.

• Like 1

Note, I am vaccinated. But for peace of mind with the delta variant circulating, I ended up purchasing trip insurance. For my 7/31 Mardi Gras trip, I am paying ~$230 for 4 people through Trawick International. Main reason is that the Safe Travels Voyager plan is one of the few that actually covers hotel stays if you are required to quarantine. There are cheaper options, but I paid extra for the trip delay portion to cover up to $500 for hotel per day vs the base $150 per day option. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

Note, I am vaccinated. But for peace of mind with the delta variant circulating, I ended up purchasing trip insurance. For my 7/31 Mardi Gras trip, I am paying ~$230 for 4 people through Trawick International. Main reason is that the Safe Travels Voyager plan is one of the few that actually covers hotel stays if you are required to quarantine. There are cheaper options, but I paid extra for the trip delay portion to cover up to $500 for hotel per day vs the base $150 per day option. 

Is the quarantine coverage under Trip Delay or Trip Interruption? I thought the delay clause was for  helping you if you were prevented from starting the trip on time, such as weather or flight problems. Trip Interruption reimburses for ending the trip early and costs getting home. It usually pays up to 150% of the cost of the trip depending on the policy.

Either way, thanks for the tip. I’m going to file it away for the time I’ll need insurance.

I just booked a policy today for a 01/2022 cruise.  $80 for 2 people, through Travel Insurance com.  Pricing can vary based on how quickly book the insurance compared to when you booked the actual trip plus all the other factors like medical evac, etc.  Mine covered Covid, but most of the policies I looked at covered Covid too, under their general sickness policy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I picked the Journey coverage instead of Voyager and it covers hotel as well.

18 minutes ago, Babr said:

Is the quarantine coverage under Trip Delay or Trip Interruption? I thought the delay clause was for  helping you if you were prevented from starting the trip on time, such as weather or flight problems. Trip Interruption reimburses for ending the trip early and costs getting home. It usually pays up to 150% of the cost of the trip depending on the policy.

Either way, thanks for the tip. I’m going to file it away for the time I’ll need insurance.

It is listed under trip delay, which according to verbiage looks like it includes en route to or from the trip. So if I am unable to fly back to Los Angeles from Orlando due to catching Covid, and have to be quarantined in Florida then it should be covered. Several factors came into play why I ended up getting insurance:

- Florida makes up 20% of all new Covid cases in the US (one state vs the whole US - good job DeSantis you are definitely winning).

- The bulk of the cruisers on the Mardi Gras will be Floridians.

- Being vaccinated does not stop you from catching Covid.

- Carnival is not testing everyone before boarding the ship (which helps, but does not stop them from identifying those that have Covid, but not enough virus load yet to be detected).

I have a feeling a lot more Covid cases are circulating on board, but if you don't test for it, you therefore do not have to report and claim it. I am not afraid to get Covid as I am confident the vaccine works and will mitigate severe symptoms. The one thing I am afraid about is being stuck somewhere else and having to pay out of pocket for the quarantine requirement or having to pay for the private plane to fly me back. Financially, I could not nor would want to pay for that. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CruisingFromLA said:

It is listed under trip delay, which according to verbiage looks like it includes en route to or from the trip. So if I am unable to fly back to Los Angeles from Orlando due to catching Covid, and have to be quarantined in Florida then it should be covered. Several factors came into play why I ended up getting insurance:

- Florida makes up 20% of all new Covid cases in the US (one state vs the whole US - good job DeSantis you are definitely winning).

- Carnival is not testing everyone before boarding the ship (which helps, but does not stop them from identifying those that have Covid, but not enough virus load yet to be detected).

I have a feeling a lot more Covid cases are circulating on board, but if you don't test for it, you therefore do not have to report and claim it. I am not afraid to get Covid as I am confident the vaccine works and will mitigate severe symptoms. The one thing I am afraid about is being stuck somewhere else and having to pay out of pocket for the quarantine requirement or having to pay for the private plane to fly me back. Financially, I could not nor would want to pay for that. 

The private plane would come into play only if you absolutely had to get home and were willing to pay for it yourself. Insurance will pay for you to fly home via commercial air once you test negative, hence the need for quarantine coverage. Now if you’ve found a policy for $230 that will charter a plane for you, you’ve hit the jackpot!

I was thinking of someone who tested positive mid-cruise, as in someone showing symptoms quickly after exposure to Delta. That is why I was wondering which clause / how quarantine coverage was paid.

However it happens, we have plenty of examples of vaccinated people testing positive. Planning for quarantine is a smart move. You just made the search for it easier for lots of people.

Edited by Babr

1 hour ago, CruisingFromLA said:

I think even with insurance you are going to be paying out of pocket, then getting reimbursed  later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I typically purchase an Allianz annual travel plan.  Their AllTrips Prime has an Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, which sounds as though COVID-related expenses are covered.  I can't get a quote for a policy beginning in November.  Dates available are only through September.  Plugged in a date and the quote is on $5 more than last time I purchased, which is a little surprising.  I figured premiums would be way up.

I'm considering rebooking a cruise on MSC for February using an FCC I have.  Reading on that board makes it sounds as though you have to purchase specific COVID coverage.  I'd hate to pay for an annual policy and then find out the cruiseline won't accept it.  MSC's customer service is pretty awful and I'm not sure I'd trust an agent to give the correct info.

My TA won't deal with them (!) so I'm thinking of trying an online agency just for my MSC bookings (I have upcoming sailings on HAL, Carnival, X, and NCL).

If anyone's familiar with Allianz annual trip policies and can confirm my interpretation of their Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, I'd appreciate hearing that.

12 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I typically purchase an Allianz annual travel plan.  Their AllTrips Prime has an Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, which sounds as though COVID-related expenses are covered.  I can't get a quote for a policy beginning in November.  Dates available are only through September.  Plugged in a date and the quote is on $5 more than last time I purchased, which is a little surprising.  I figured premiums would be way up.

I'm considering rebooking a cruise on MSC for February using an FCC I have.  Reading on that board makes it sounds as though you have to purchase specific COVID coverage.  I'd hate to pay for an annual policy and then find out the cruiseline won't accept it.  MSC's customer service is pretty awful and I'm not sure I'd trust an agent to give the correct info.

My TA won't deal with them (!) so I'm thinking of trying an online agency just for my MSC bookings (I have upcoming sailings on HAL, Carnival, X, and NCL).

If anyone's familiar with Allianz annual trip policies and can confirm my interpretation of their Epidemic Coverage Endorsement, I'd appreciate hearing that.

I looked at Allianz again because it was the company used by the family that reported their experience after testing positive on the Carnival Breeze. As I understand it, the policy would pay $2,000 toward their quarantine expenses because that was the limit of their policy, but higher limits are available.  They did not need medical care.

I’m not sure what MSC considers specific Covid coverage. Allianz will accept a positive test or a doctor’s diagnosis as proof that you are ill with Covid in order to qualify for benefits and you will have quarantine coverage (trip interruption) as well.  Be sure you satisfy any dollars limits MSC may have such as $25,000 medical or $50,000 evacuation. Also know that once you have exhausted the policy limits, it will not pay if you have additional trips scheduled.

Allianz seems to be an acceptable choice. Before you buy an individual policy, call Allianz to get clarification of any lingering questions.