Capacity Limits on Equinox?

MaggieAtSea

I was told by Celebrity customer service last week that all Celebrity ships will be at a max 50% capacity for the rest of this year. When this is reached the cruise is taken off the website as being available. From what past passengers are saying it looks like all Retreat cabins are being sold at 100% and the shortage in passengers is is the lower end cost cabins. I know yesterday when I checked all Sky suites were sold out on our Aug 27th Equinox cruise.  There were plenty of Veranda cabins still available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm scheduled to sail on  the 8/1 sailing, and a couple of days ago called to find out the cost to add a third guest in our cabin.  I was told that the sailing had reached its maximum capacity for triples and quads and the only option I had was to book that person as a single.  I have a feeling they are keeping the ship capacity fairly low for a while.

5 minutes ago, brwneyedgirl72 said:

I'm scheduled to sail on  the 8/1 sailing, and a couple of days ago called to find out the cost to add a third guest in our cabin.  I was told that the sailing had reached its maximum capacity for triples and quads and the only option I had was to book that person as a single.  I have a feeling they are keeping the ship capacity fairly low for a while.

I haven't tried lately but at first they were not allowing 3/4 passengers in any cabins through the end of September. 

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I was told by Celebrity customer service last week that all Celebrity ships will be at a max 50% capacity for the rest of this year. When this is reached the cruise is taken off the website as being available. From what past passengers are saying it looks like all Retreat cabins are being sold at 100% and the shortage in passengers is is the lower end cost cabins. I know yesterday when I checked all Sky suites were sold out on our Aug 27th Equinox cruise.  There were plenty of Veranda cabins still available.

That makes perfect sense financially...works for me, as I have a SV cabin booked on Equinox for Aug 1...

I was afraid they would do that for financial reasons. If nothing else, upgrading is a way to work all those credits out of the system. I expect Luminae to be at 100%. It will be a little weird for the ship to be half full, but have to wait for dinner.

No biggie if we get to cruise! Love to meet some of you guys IRL, I'm also on the Aug 1.

I was told by Celebrity customer service last week that all Celebrity ships will be at a max 50% capacity for the rest of this year.

Bad information.   On our Edge sailing it was reported onboard that we were at 58% with just over 1600 passengers.   I had heard that they would be holding at 60% for July which I assumed meant that it would be increased after.

31 minutes ago, brwneyedgirl72 said:

Is that discount on singles still available? Your situation may explain why they offered that deal.

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

Bad information.   On our Edge sailing it was reported onboard that we were at 58% with just over 1600 passengers.   I had heard that they would be holding at 60% for July which I assumed meant that it would be increased after.

I have no special knowledge, but it's possible that the capacity is related to available crew and it fluctuates some as they bring on more ships. Has anyone read or heard anything about adding anymore ships - like Reflection?

We are on the 8/15 Equinox sailing. We also contacted Celebrity yesterday. The representative told us that all sailings through the end of 2021 were being capped at 50% capacity. Our 12 day sailing has now been removed from the list of available cruises as it has evidently reached capacity. 

22 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I can't say if it is bad information or not, but I am not the only one reporting this what Celebrity is saying.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Keith Lane (VP of Sales) is the one that mentioned the 50% number yesterday but he also didn't say it was exactly 50% on the dot either. 

It's essentially semantics at this point, but you can also use double occupancy or max occupancy to calculate that figure. In that case max occupancy on Edge is 115% of double occupancy. The first Edge sailing (and maybe Equinox on Sunday?) had a ton of invited (i.e. free) social media influencers and press onboard also. 

Booked on the Equinox for August 8.   Receive call from Celebrity to be moved out of my room on Deck 6.     They said it was for inventory control purposes.        They were trying to stick me in the last room on Deck 7.   ...  but finally relented and gave me a similar location on Deck 8.      They did the same thing for a November 4 cruise on the Reflection...   moved us out of the same cabin on Deck 6...  but moved us further back on Deck 6 for "inventory" purposes.     No other details provided.    

Edited by ptcflyer
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I will be on the 7/25 sailing, so I will try to report back with any capacity info I can get onboard.

We’ll be a month behind you on the August 27 sailing, would enjoy your comments on boarding and sailing.  Have a wonderful cruise!

On 7/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, ptcflyer said:

Booked on the Equinox for August 8.   Receive call from Celebrity to be moved out of my room on Deck 6.     They said it was for inventory control purposes.        They were trying to stick me in the last room on Deck 7.   ...  but finally relented and gave me a similar location on Deck 8.      They did the same thing for a November 4 cruise on the Reflection...   moved us out of the same cabin on Deck 6...  but moved us further back on Deck 6 for "inventory" purposes.     No other details provided.    

Just off Apex - Giuseppe, CD, said they were using Deck 6 for guest entertainers and some crew and no passengers were on Deck 6. 
Wendy

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, Steve Q said:

We are on the 8/15 Equinox sailing. We also contacted Celebrity yesterday. The representative told us that all sailings through the end of 2021 were being capped at 50% capacity. Our 12 day sailing has now been removed from the list of available cruises as it has evidently reached capacity. 

We are also on the 8/15 sailing.  When we booked this, last year during a big promotion, we were told that the ship was almost full for this sailing.  I have wondered, if that's so, WHO will be removed?  Perhaps many have cancelled.  Just curious.