CAPTAIN’S TABLE

Lightning has struck us twice...

I've posted these most memorable events a few times but well worth repeating. (Condensed versions)

The first time, we were assigned to the "Captain's Table", Song of America. Table for 8.  We sat with a truly wonderful British couple, and the Staff Captain (second in command I'm guessing), and the other empty seats were filled by various members of the entertainment crew...mostly the dancers.  There were special meals and free-flowing wine every night.  And Oh!, the stories we heard.  This was why we got addicted to cruising.

The second time was on the Voyager of the Seas, out of Sydney, Australia.  There was an invitation in our cabin saying we have been invited to the Captain's Table...for New Year's Eve dinner.  Yes! New Year's Eve!  Our large table of 11 (5 couples and the Captain) was in the middle of the main dining room...a bit more elegantly decorated with fine china and what appeared to be a gazillion spoons, forks, and knives. (We were even politely asked not to sit until the Captain sat down.)  The food and service was simply over the top.  And yes, my glass of wine was never empty...they kept re-filling it.

I whispered and asked the couple seating next to me: "Do you know why you were invited?...because we don't know why or how we were invited".  They didn't know either.

We all received a couple of group pictures and the menu autographed by the Captain.  We hope to someday, somehow get invited again to a Captain's Table........we'd happily accept the invitation.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Joseph Hazelwood from the Exxon Valdez. Just a little oil tanker humor.  I heard things tightened up a bit onboard after that.

In UK, at least on cruise ships, things started changing after the Herald of Free Enterprise sank, which was a couple of years before the Exxon Valdez.

33 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In UK, at least on cruise ships, things started changing after the Herald of Free Enterprise sank, which was a couple of years before the Exxon Valdez.

Yes, the Herald initiated the ISM code, and started the toughening of the STCW Convention.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the Herald initiated the ISM code, and started the toughening of the STCW Convention.

Affirmative, it really changed the workload, especially on turn-around day. Prior to that, when I was on days off on a Saturday, I would drive in and pick up about 4 of the officers and drive them out to our place. Would head down to the river with the BBQ for some lunch & swimming.

Would get them back on board about an hour before departure. After the Herald, the time off in Vancouver was reduced to a few hours, so only had time to take them over to Stanley Park, or one of the pubs. A couple of years later, they couldn't get any time-off, so my visits were reduced to me heading aboard for lunch. 

On 7/26/2021 at 3:05 PM, K32682 said:

The reason invitations to the captain table are desirable isn't to talk to interesting people and learn something but to preen and attempt to impress fellow cruisers.

The opportunity to dine with an Officer gives one the chance to try to obtain more information about the operation of a cruise ship.  Side conversations with others at the table add to an interesting evening.  

Look at my signature.  I make NO effort to "preen and attempt to impress" when I meet others with my cruise history.  I am MOST reluctant to answer the question as to "how many cruises have you been on".  I "put my pants on" the same as a first time cruiser.  Willing to share my experiences?  Certainly.  But, I am almost always somewhat embarrassed that this retired Middle School Science Teacher has been able to sail on the number of cruises that God has allowed me to experience.  

On 7/26/2021 at 3:05 PM, K32682 said:

If I really want to learn something about the boat my preference is a ship tour.  I find them very educational

The Behind the Ship Tours are always educational.  They always--no matter how many I have done--leave me with additional questions upon reflection of what I have experienced.  

• Like 1