Had to cancel

Peachypooh

We were all set to sail the Pearl in May of 2020 when covid hit. It was so disappointing because we loved the Pearl and

really needed a vacation. So we jumped at the chance to reserve the Pearl for August 2022 and felt surely by then the whole covid thing 

would be a thing of the past. Fast forward to a couple of days ago and we decided that even though it is a year away we

would cancel. I love NCL and I know they are doing what they need to but I just don't feel that I can commit to any of their sailings

with all the different changes they are making. First it was covid test only. Then vaccination only. Then vaccination plus covid test.

Then no masks, then masks etc. etc.( most of this  told to me by their agents)  Plus let's say even though we are vaccinated for some

reason we test positive at the pier what do we do then? We would be flying in and couldn't (and wouldn't) risk infecting someone at a hotel

or flying home. So here is a question.Are we stranded?  Do they have protocols for this? Or is it a work in progress.

• Like 1

Clearly during this time of uncertainty in the world, then the safest thing to do is stay close to home and follow scientific guidelines to keep yourself safe. You, alone, know what makes you feel safe.

For many travelers, who feel comfortable with the precautions which they have taken, then they will feel safe to travel via cruise ship.  

It would appear that the cruise lines are following all scientific guidelines to keep their passengers and crew safe for the present conditions.  As things change, then I am sure that the cruise lines will follow suit and continue to keep us all safe.

• Like 4

With all the uncertainty going on right now, I personally would not cruise in 2021 but I do have high hopes for 2022 and plan on booking a cruise to Alaska.  I probably would have held off until final payment was due before cancelling  but you must feel comfortable in your own decision and do what you feel is right for you and yours.

@Peachypooh

I hear  you.  My story, I live walking distance to the pier in NYC and only sail out of NYC....so I have none of that pre-cruise stuff to deal with.

I have a 11/2021 booked...including Port Canaveral...the rare full day at Port Canaveral, which actually gives you time to do something there.  But with the FL covid rates soaring (what else is new), even if the ship sails, would NCL allow you to go off on your own...and more importantly, would I want to go off on my own?  I don't think so.

I see a cancellation in my very new future.

I don't think there's anything wrong with "waiting it out".

In addition....the "actual sailing" just isn't as exciting as it used to be.  It's becoming more of a nuisiance with all the "what-ifs".

• Like 2

For all you said, my concerns also.  If you test positive at the pier, what do you do????   Can't go to a hotel, can't fly home, exactly what is the correct answer and who is providing it?  Love NCL and cruising.  Want to go!  But at my wife's and my age, we need assurances of some type other than, "well, don't know.  Guess you're stuck on you own.  Good luck".   This is not being negative.  Just being realistic for all the possibilities.  For others that feel, no guts, no glory, and will take the chances, go for it.  I'm anxiously awaiting reports from a few cruises.  

• Like 1

So glad you all posted...I thought I was alone in my concerns !!!  

I ,too, am in a "holding pattern" re: cruising.  Too many unknows right now and really don't need the extra stress of that ...I cruise to relax ! 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you already read through the protocols on NCL's Sail Safe page and still had the same questions but I found this to be reassuring for my comfort level. https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

If one person in our party tests positive, will we all be denied boarding? Will the Company assist with travel arrangements?

If one person in the party tests positive for COVID-19, immediate family members, those traveling in the same cabin as the guest who tested positive and those identified as a close contact will be denied boarding. 

If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for you and those traveling with you if they are also denied boarding.

Are guests required to wear masks while onboard?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew through 10/31/21, therefore face coverings are not required for cruises prior to 10/31/21. On Europe sailings only, local government regulations requires all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I read on here somewhere that part of deck 2 on some sailings was being used for quarantining guests that test positive while sailing. Is that correct? Might have been on the Celebrity Board.

These are good questions... vaccinated but test positive in a foreign port. Then what?

Denied boarding if testing positive? Cant fly, where would one stay? I just assumed vaccinated passengers weren't  being tested in each port of call. 

Edited by son3cruisers

Not to beat a dead horse...well...guess I am actually.   But if I understand correctly, even if you are fully vaccinated you can still be mildly infected again.  Good news, if it does occur, you can very possibly have no symptoms or at worse just very mild, so much so that you don't even realize you are infected.  No need even for medical attention.    However, a test would probably come back positive even if tested a second time.   So, at the port, what happens?  You can't board, you can't fly, you cant stay in local lodging, and I guess must quarantine.  NCL says they will take care of all of this then.  Is this going to be part of the plan that requires them to have a quarantine location predetermined?  I sure can't see them hiring a charter flight just for you.  NCL covering costs for travel arraignments, does this mean also covering costs for the possible 10 day quarantine and your eventual flight back home?  I realize, no answers to any of this...yet.   But I sure would like to know what if.......for advanced piece of mind....or for making a cruise decision.   Ok...guess I'm through.

Edited by roger001

So, I have one recommendation. Wear you mask everyday when going out, wash your hands and or sanitize them for the 2 weeks prior to your cruise date. This should be for anyone who is planning on cruising. You guarantee that you will not be positive (well 99.5%). And if others do this, then we don’t run the chance of infecting each other. This is what I plan on doing and so does my family. We want to get away from all of the crazy from the last 2 years. I’m more than willing to wear a mask for 2 weeks! And if anyone says anything to me about wearing one, my comment would be, I’m going on a cruise in *x amount  of days* and I can’t wait! 😉 

• Like 7

Why cancel now though?  Final payment isn't due for another 8 months, and it's fully refundable until then.

If rules change and you decide that you like how things are, then you're already booked at a price that works for you - and if you don't like how things are looking in March, you could always cancel then.

Unless you really need that $200, you lose nothing by keeping your reservation active until final payment.

The situation is changing with COVID so much, that nobody knows what restrictions are going to look like in July 2022 - there might not even be any restrictions at all.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Why cancel now though?  Final payment isn't due for another 8 months, and it's fully refundable until then.

If rules change and you decide that you like how things are, then you're already booked at a price that works for you - and if you don't like how things are looking in March, you could always cancel then.

Unless you really need that $200, you lose nothing by keeping your reservation active until final payment.

The situation is changing with COVID so much, that nobody knows what restrictions are going to look like in July 2022 - there might not even be any restrictions at all.

That does make sense but we just decided to get a refund and apply it towards a 2023 cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwimmingDragon said:

So, I have one recommendation. Wear you mask everyday when going out, wash your hands and or sanitize them for the 2 weeks prior to your cruise date. This should be for anyone who is planning on cruising. You guarantee that you will not be positive (well 99.5%). And if others do this, then we don’t run the chance of infecting each other. This is what I plan on doing and so does my family. We want to get away from all of the crazy from the last 2 years. I’m more than willing to wear a mask for 2 weeks! And if anyone says anything to me about wearing one, my comment would be, I’m going on a cruise in *x amount  of days* and I can’t wait! 😉 

Oh yeah, my kids already know that we’re going to be hardcore with disease prevention leading up to the cruise! Masks and hand washing and minimizing social contacts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

This is my plan also and most of my friends who are planning major trips in the next few months are doing the same.  I have started to see many people in masks lately when out shopping...they are older and with 80% of our over 65 population here vaccinated, I know others are concerned too. I have 2 cruises booked for this year and would much rather be on 100% vaccinated cruises than my local Wal-Mart right now without a mask.

• Like 2

If you cancelled at this point you should get a refund except for any portion of the payment that was FCC. If you think you got a great price/deal on the August 2022 cruise and it's a trip you want to take, I would have left the reservation intact. You are so far away from the final payment date there's little economic value to canceling now.

We reserve with just Cruise Next certificates, so we only have spent money out with our reservations. I make payments over time until final payment although this time I only made one such payment so I pretty much paid for the cruise at Final payment date.

We are on the Jade at the end of August, so about 2-3 weeks left to cancel for FCC. We have a November cruise booked so we'd just roll money over to that if we cancel the Jade. I also have a May 2022 girls cruise booked so my balance could cover that too.

These are uncertain times, so I look at this way. If we feel good about going to Greece now we will go. We never expected 2020, so who's to say what 2022 or 2023 will bring our way? My mother is only getting older, she's healthy and able to travel. This trip started out as a post Olympics 2020 birthday cruise to Japan, so after many cancellations later, we'll seize the moment in 2021 for this trip if we feel safe to do so. Hopefully we'll still get her to Japan, but Greece is the option for now.

• Like 1