Sept 22 London to Barcelona Splendor Itinerary changed

wcsdkqh

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Look at this garbage from the CDC, issued yesterday, the same day that Regent moved the new ports to Portugal and Spain...

https://news.yahoo.com/u-cdc-raises-concern-israel-181606940.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

I was expecting that as soon as I looked at the numbers.  The fourth wave is hitting many countries.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I consider the "coincidence" in dates to be political (aka garbage). 

I have never seen you this upset; you are usually the mouth of reason when all the rest of us are running around like chicken little.

edited to add:  Looks like the first two Splendor cruises will now be cancelled with season starting in Barcelona.

Edited by mrlevin

7 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Strike upset, insert frustrated. Sometimes, like you, I hear things that may come to pass.

Don't get me in trouble with Regent again.  I have no sources within Regent nor the crew nor leaks by my TA; everything I write is pure conjecture based on publicly available information usually on RSSC website or NCLH website or sea trade or here on cc.

My TA won't talk to me half the time. Like you, I only post info that I glean from facts, guesses and extrapolation of future actions based on past decisions.

On what website is the info about the first 2 cruises posted?

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

On what website is the info about the first 2 cruises posted?

Prior to yesterday bottom three categories said "call."  Yesterday with the change of itineraries all categories said "call."  Today, they all say waitlist.  Itineraries weren't full even before the change; now there should be significant inventory.  I believe (my conjecture) that the change from "call" to "waitlist" is in anticipation of cancelling.  

With the lack of airlift, and the inability of brits to take these itineraries without quarantine due to stops in France, I think sanity has set in and they will cancel.

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Prior to yesterday bottom three categories said "call."  Yesterday with the change of itineraries all categories said "call."  Today, they all say waitlist.  Itineraries weren't full even before the change; now there should be significant inventory.  I believe (my conjecture) that the change from "call" to "waitlist" is in anticipation of cancelling.  

With the lack of airlift, and the inability of brits to take these itineraries without quarantine due to stops in France, I think sanity has set in and they will cancel.

I called yesterday and I was told the first two sailings were indeed sold out....

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I consider the "coincidence" in dates to be political (aka garbage). 

I still don't get it. 

By putting "coincidence" in quotes, I assume you are saying the two actions were somehow not coincidences of time, but instead were related?   I gather you are criticizing the CDC for something "political" but I don't understand what you think was political--they shouldn't have issued a travel advisory?  Or they only issued the travel advisory because Regent changed an itinerary?  Or what?  I feel like I just read the lede of a mystery story?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

then it looks like I am wrong (again).

I am not sure you are wrong though. You know I really enjoy the guessing part of all this but something seems "off" right now. I don't know what it is but I bet we hear something soon.

All suite grades on the Splendor September cruises changed from “Wait List” to “Call” last Friday; three days before the Splendor itinerary changes were announced (and four days after the CDC raised the travel warning for the U.K. from level 3 to level 4)

Unfortunately, COVID is back and stronger than ever. I suspect the cruise cancellations and itinerary changes will be the norm until the world gets this under better control. It’s a moving target. For developed countries, the answer is pretty simple but ……………………………

What’s most frustrating is that we do have tools in our toolbox to combat this disease. It’s easy to trash the governments, the CDC and WHO but they have given us solutions. Unfortunately too many people won’t take advantage of the tools available. COVID won’t be controlled until it doesn’t have so many hosts that remain vulnerable. This has happened before and just like a fire, it won’t go out until there is no more fuel to burn. 

If you are planning a cruise, I think you have to prepare for the unexpected, hope for the best but prepare for significant changes.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

Not sure of the significance, but presently all the categories say "call" not waitlist.

13 hours ago, flossie009 said:

All suite grades on the Splendor September cruises changed from “Wait List” to “Call” last Friday; 

Availability for all suite grades on Splendor September cruises are now back to "Wait List"

For information, the UK Government is again discussing removing the quarantine requirements for those fully vaccinated in the U.S.A.

BBC News Wed, July 28th

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

For information, the UK Government is again discussing removing the quarantine requirements for those fully vaccinated in the U.S.A.

BBC News Wed, July 28th

I guess it is official that UK will allow Americans that are fully vaccinated without quarantine starting next Monday.  Now, I am very confused as to why Regent changed these first two itineraries.

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I guess it is official that UK will allow Americans that are fully vaccinated without quarantine starting next Monday.  Now, I am very confused as to why Regent changed these first two itineraries.

Discussing per the BBC does not make it official until it is announced by the Government and likely a multitude of reasons for changes.  

11 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Discussing per the BBC does not make it official until it is announced by the Government and likely a multitude of reasons for changes.  

Believe what you want; I based my post on government "tweets."

edited to add:  So far this applies only to England; no decision yet from Scotland and Wales.

Edited by mrlevin

According to the BBC it's confirmed that fully vaccinated travellers from the EU and the US will not need to quarantine from 4am Monday.  (Applies to England only) 

@flossie009 perhaps you had a point about Regent's timing.

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 1

I think these types of changes are made after weeks of planning and making commitments to new ports.  I'm willing to bet Regent made a risk decision that it would be less risky to change the itinerary (and likely face some cancellations) vs stay the course and risk canceling the sailing altogether or losing more cruisers. Perhaps Spain was willing to commit to letting Regent sail, while the UK was silent or worse.

I'm sure if they knew that the quarantine would be lifted they would have left the itinerary unchanged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wcsdkqh said:

I still would have cancelled due to the EU onboard mask requirement.

......... which would probably not apply for a cruise around the UK as masks are no longer mandatory (although many still choose to wear them in indoor public spaces)

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I guess it is official that UK will allow Americans that are fully vaccinated without quarantine starting next Monday.

Yes it was announced today, but of course the CDC level 4 warning is still in place, even though COVID cases in the UK have been reducing every day for the past week.

Today, the UK Government (FCDO) also removed its previous guidance against international cruise travel 

It must have been a difficult call for Regent to change the first two Splendor itineraries and they could only make their decision based on the information and official advice available at the time. 

Now all we need is some reciprocity from the U.S.A. to open its borders to us Brits 😉

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 2