Vista now Orange?

EmmasNana

It means someone tested positive for covid. But not enough cases to warrant an investigation. We are on the Vista sailing Aug. 21,  so we are monitoring closely as well. I'm not concerned at this point.

1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

It means someone tested positive for covid. But not enough cases to warrant an investigation. We are on the Vista sailing Aug. 21,  so we are monitoring closely as well. I'm not concerned at this point.

Is it a bad thing if I don't tell my hubby? He would probably freak.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

It's up to you. But what would happen if he found out about it? Check out this from CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

Well according to their color coding, it seems like really the only ones that are green for the most part are "crew" only.  Most other sailings that are actually running are yellow or orange.

12 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

Seriously though, really not a big deal.  Probably in contact with more potential issues on a daily basis:

Should I be concerned if a cruise ship status is “Orange” or “Yellow”?

CDC acknowledges that it is not possible for cruising to be a zero-risk activity for spread of COVID-19. Cruising will always pose some risk of COVID-19 transmission. Therefore, public health measures, including testing and vaccinations, will continue to play a role. CDC recommends that all travelers (passengers and crew) get fully vaccinated against COVID-19. CDC recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.

Edited by wemjam
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

I wouldnt tell him unless you actually know something. A form was filed late, we dont know.

Horizon had quarantined crew and turned yellow, never heard if they were positive.

Until I had real info not just a color, why tell or not, up to you. You dont know something is wrong. Just says cdc is monitoring.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wouldnt tell him unless you actually know something. A form was filed late, we dont know.

Horizon had quarantined crew and turned yellow, never heard if they were positive.

Until I had real info not just a color, why tell or not, up to you. You dont know something is wrong. Just says cdc is monitoring.

Yeah, I have not plans on telling him at this point. He tries to keep up with what  is going on anyway. If there is a real issue he will discover it. The CDC colors, he is not watching.

23 minutes ago, EmmasNana said:

Yeah, I have not plans on telling him at this point. He tries to keep up with what  is going on anyway. If there is a real issue he will discover it. The CDC colors, he is not watching.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when at first we practice to deceive" . . . . LOL just kidding

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Seems like Orange is not as bad as Yellow, and Horizon was Yellow for 3 weeks straight.  I think this is a reset to neutral after being Yellow and having triggered multiple consecutive investigations.

The trigger for Yellow is 3+ passenger cases (0.1%) when passenger count is below 3000 as it has been for the recent voyages, or a late/missing submission of required daily data from the ship.  Unknown if there is a crew case % threshold to go to Yellow.  If there is one, it isn't published.

Edited by arkaine23
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

I would not worry about it.  Every cruise ship has covid people onboard.  Just like every cruise ships before this pandemic had people with the cold or flu virus.  It's going to happen.  

Totally agree.  Its getting everyone to understand this going forward now that is the issue.  people are still stuck in the pre vaccine way of thinking.  I think the protocols are speaking for themselves when you look at those ships currently sailing that have had positive cases detected on board and the fact that they are very small numbers and not affecting or disrupting the majority of the passengers vacation.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Totally agree.  Its getting everyone to understand this going forward now that is the issue.  people are still stuck in the pre vaccine way of thinking.  I think the protocols are speaking for themselves when you look at those ships currently sailing that have had positive cases detected on board and the fact that they are very small numbers and not affecting or disrupting the majority of the passengers vacation.

True.  They are now saying that the Delta variant is starting to lose steam and will be on the downward slope in the southern states in a couple of weeks.  UK is already seeing a big downward slope.  Good news for those that have cruises coming up soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BrotherCraig said:

True.  They are now saying that the Delta variant is starting to lose steam and will be on the downward slope in the southern states in a couple of weeks.  UK is already seeing a big downward slope.  Good news for those that have cruises coming up soon.

Agreed our Province announced yesterday they will be moving to an Endemic stance from a Pandemic stance starting Aug 9th.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

This is the numbers game. We have learned that even with 100% testing we can't completely keep Covid off of a ship. With the 5% being unvaccinated and mostly children who, for some reason, are less likely to spread Covid, and the mRNA vaccines being roughly 95% effective, only around 1 out of every 20 people should be considered vulnerable to Covid (Although more may test positive with no issues). The odds of these 1 out of 20 having pre exposure to Covid or interacting closely with each other is unlikely and should prevent rapid spread through the ship. 

Edited by Brew12
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Brew12 said:

This is the numbers game. We have learned that even with 100% testing we can't completely keep Covid off of a ship. With the 5% being unvaccinated and mostly children who, for some reason, are less likely to spread Covid, and the mRNA vaccines being roughly 95% effective, only around 1 out of every 20 people should be considered vulnerable to Covid (Although more may test positive with no issues). The odds of these 1 out of 20 having pre exposure to Covid or interacting closely with each other is unlikely and should prevent rapid spread through the ship. 

Agree with everything you say, but that said, statistics are so……general.  

• Like 2

Just off the Breeze today, fully vaccinated 2 doses Pfizer 3 weeks apart back in March/April.  Son (10) not vaxxed and I both positive.  Husband fully vaxxed and daughter 9 non vaxxed both negative.  Carnival gave us free calls and a list of hotels with bad phone numbers toi arrange Texas quarantine (from CT). Did not announce the positive cases on board and the polcieci/procedures for dealing with cases non existent.  They did shell out for transfer to hotel as I mentioned that I would have to find an ambulance.  They snuck us out after all passenger were disembarked thru the back door...Horrible experience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah, its really way too general. I wouldnt trust it either. I mean any statistics these days are so NOT transparent. Its hard to believe it. I believe my eyes most of the time. Dont see a reason not to believe them 

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I think we are all stuck in pre vaccine thinking and this thing is ever changing.  The delta variant is much more contagious.  And we the vaccinated are not bullet proof and we can pick up the virus. But then again our bodies are prepared to fight it off quickly, saving ourselves from a bad case and stop the spread. 

We as cruisers need to keep this in mind and act accordingly and follow the cruise lines guidance.  So far the cruise lines have done a good job at keeping things safe and making cruising enjoyable again. 

I do wish there was more info on these color changes released to us.  The Carnival Breeze and Horizon are yellow and the Vista is orange.  Also the Mardi Gras is Orange and they are going to start passengers this Saturday.  What does this really mean to us?  Is it even something we should be concerned about?

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Statistics are the third form of lies, right? That is why the color coding system is a good idea. Statistics, even properly used, have their outliers. It's a tool to see if the return to sailing is proceeding as expected or if there are problems.

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Yeah, its really way too general. I wouldnt trust it either. I mean any statistics these days are so NOT transparent. Its hard to believe it. I believe my eyes most of the time. Dont see a reason not to believe them 

I think the point was that averages (according to the poster) says 1 in 20, but the reality could be zero or eight.  All that said,  it is what it is, what we do when we process the info is up to us.