Questions - One Way Flight from London to States?

We are on our first Transatlantic cruise in May 2022.  Need one way flight from London to the States.  What is the earliest flight time we should take from London with ship debarking in Southampton?  What transfer options do we have from Southampton to London?  How many hours in advance of flight should we arrive at airport?  How many months in advance is a good time to purchase flights?

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, M&M cruiseaholics said:

We are on our first Transatlantic cruise in May 2022.  Need one way flight from London to the States.  What is the earliest flight time we should take from London with ship debarking in Southampton?  What transfer options do we have from Southampton to London?  How many hours in advance of flight should we arrive at airport?  How many months in advance is a good time to purchase flights?

Thank you for your help.

Mrs Bear and I have avoided flying by booking round trip sailings - but that's not an option for everyone.

First, check over in the 'cruise air' forum https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/ for similar questions.

Second, check with your cruise line [or travel agent] about air options. For example, Cunard has a 'Cunard CompleteAir' program that may have better prices than standard airfare.

Third, check again with your cruise line - for example Cunard has combined tours and airport transfers from Southampton to Heathrow.  

Edited by TheOldBear
oops!

My recommendation would be to try to extend your stay in England before heading back. If you absolutely can't, your cruise line should be able to give you guidance as to what is the earliest flight you should book. Here's a link to the Princess guidelines for ports around the world. It says 7 hours after the ship's arrival. On our British Isles cruise a few years ago, the ship was scheduled for 5 a.m. and our flight was at 2 p.m. That was more than enough time. We booked the air through Princess because it was a lot less expensive when we took transatlantics in subsequent years.

Flight Guidelines for Port Cities - Princess Cruises

If you travel ship-to-airport  and you're flying from Heathrow (LHR), aim for an earliest flight time of12.30pm, from Gatwick (LGW) make it 1.00pm.

You can make it earlier if you disembark unassisted (usually from 7am) and if it's on a saturday or especially a sunday.

A pre-booked car transfer for 2 or 3 people will cost about £100 to LHR,  £120 to LGW.

Cruise lines provide their own transfer buses to both airports, fares vary quite a lot with Princess usually good value, RCI poor value. But for two people a private transfer should cost no more than ship's bus. 

Best public transport options are

LHR by  coach (bus) https://www.nationalexpress.com/en 

LGW by train  https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ (but on sundays & national holidays only, better by national express coach.

Southampton train station & coach station are both less than 10 minutes by taxi from the taxi stands at any cruise terminal).

I daren't quote an earliest time because althpo journey times will be the same both train & coach timetables are likely to be very different next year.

Allow yourselves a minimum of 2 hours between arrival at the airport and your flight time.

I don't usually rate either the cost or routing of ship-sponsored flights, but airlines do tend to sting one-way passengers so in your circumstances I certainly agree with the old bear - your cruise line might be your best bet. 

JB 🙂

15 minutes ago, John Bull said:

airlines do tend to sting one-way passengers so in your circumstances I certainly agree with the old bear - your cruise line might be your best bet.

I haven't found that to be true in recent years, fares are quoted based on each one way direction, and just added to get the total. At least that is what it seems to be from Canada, I can't speak for booking London to USA.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I haven't found that to be true in recent years, fares are quoted based on each one way direction, and just added to get the total. At least that is what it seems to be from Canada, I can't speak for booking London to USA.

Hi, my garden friend

The likes of BA still gouge one-way by as much as 50% eg LHR - LAX & return £737, LHR - LAX one-way  £452.

But certainly you're right about many airlines, especially at the lo-cost end. We flew Oakland (nr San Francisco) to LGW one-way with Norwegian for £180 plus luggage.🙂  

JB 🙂

@M&M cruiseaholics If you have frequent flyer miles, a one-way transatlantic flight is usually a good thing to use them on, as the major carriers don't gouge you on the miles as much for a one-way as they do when you are paying cash. (I will say, though, that the carriers do seem to be making it harder to use miles, by cranking up how many it takes.)

There are a number of options for getting from Southampton to Heathrow, as noted in the comments above.   There is also an entire thread devoted to transfers between Southampton and London, pinned to the top of this forum, and at this link:

I know you didn't ask this, since you are planning to fly straight home after your cruise, but it would be great to stay in London for a few days at least after the cruise.  😊

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...