Live Horizon/Mardi Gras B2B 8/1-8/7and 8/7-814

jimbo5544

Hey Jimbo - happy to see that you enjoyed Rudi's. It was our favorite place onboard as well.

I'll just add in a few tidbits regarding our experiences, rather than starting a new/unnecessary thread.

I concur, there's basically too many food options onboard... too many if you're only onboard for 7 days. I'd guess somewhere around the 2-3 week point would be ideal! Having booked 4 Steakhouse nights and 3 Rudi's nights prior to sailing, that took away other options. On prior ships, there just were not as many good competing places. Next time, we're going to play the field!!

Sure, we experienced a couple of hiccups, but were very impressed with this new class of ship and, most of all, its crew. Everyone was doing their best and, time and again, smiling faces (under masks, but you could see it in their eyes) greeted us. From cabin stewards to bar and dining staff, to maintenance staff and officers.

The crew at Guest Services promptly answered the line the few times I called with questions, often answered by Harrison Findley (one of two? GSM's). I can recall on a few other sailings calling GS only to have the phone ring and ring.

I unknowingly used my Platinum/Diamond party drink voucher at the Smokehouse when I purchased a flight of draft beers for the two of us to sample - wish we had tried them sooner! The Amber and the IPA were the winners in our book (thank you, I'll take another)! We also gave them a try for dinner on the last night, after cancelling our Steakhouse dinner. I enjoyed the (upcharge) Prime Rib there. I had asked for extra horseradish for it and was told they don't have any there. I asked if it could be procured (not the word I used) from another restaurant. They brought the food to our table PDQ, along with about a ~2/3 cup portion of horseradish.... way overkill, but THANKS 🙂

Overall impression of the Presidential suite - it was nice, but could have used more shade on the balcony. I know it's basically up top, so no matter which way the ship was turned, there was sun (skin starting to peel this morning as I type this). Most of our balcony time was at night - even sleeping for hours on the daybed on about 3 evenings, once until 5 am. 🙂  I was surprised that it's tough getting around the bed - the door to the living area basically hits the corner of the bed when it's open. Just a tad more space (yes!) or a different arrangement would help. Oh, and while they're at it -- how about a soft close lid on the toilet? !  A second toilet would have been a nice extra - as is the case in the Captain's Suite on a couple of the Conquest class ships. BTW, those balconies are also over the bridge. We've been in some which had overhead coverage for shade, and others which were fully open to the sky. Pros and cons depending on your preference, and the weather.  The closet area is a traffic jam, only one person can be there at a time. Even when I was at the far left (of three doors) getting to my hanging clothes, if Cheryl was trying to get to something at the far right door, it would close mine. I almost had my fingers pinched a couple of times. Speaking of doors, I know we're on the front and subject to higher winds and such - but MAN, those two doors going out onto the balcony take some real strength to open or hold open. Did I say they were heavy?

I pre-purchased the premium Wi-Fi, and was very VERY pleased with the coverage on the ship and the speed. Carnival has come a long way! On three different occasions I tested the speed (1 port day, two at sea) and averaged close to 30 Mbps. I used my phone as a hotspot, so that Cheryl could piggy back and I could get my laptop online as well. The downside, if I left the cabin Cheryl would not have service. Still, it worked out well. I was able to stream Sirius and Pandora without issue.

I will say that it was at times challenging using the QR codes to pull up meal or drink menus. Sometimes it would download them, and I'd have to use another app to find them. Just kind of glitchy. I like tech and all, but I'd like a physical menu in my hands!

For this year, we have a hold on a forward excel suite, but I really feel that it would be too windy up there, and the steel balcony would block a lot of sea view when sitting down. I was also looking at a Havana balcony cabin - those were small, but intriguing. Over the next two years I did book 3-4 other sailings (where deck 15 aft excel or Presidential suites were available)... if only to grab them before they were gone. Better to have them as options (booked with fully refundable military rates), than have nothing left to choose from when the time comes! 

We had FUN (that's what Carnival sells)!

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Hey Jimbo - happy to see that you enjoyed Rudi's. It was our favorite place onboard as well.

I'll just add in a few tidbits regarding our experiences, rather than starting a new/unnecessary thread.

I concur, there's basically too many food options onboard... too many if you're only onboard for 7 days. I'd guess somewhere around the 2-3 week point would be ideal! Having booked 4 Steakhouse nights and 3 Rudi's nights prior to sailing, that took away other options. On prior ships, there just were not as many good competing places. Next time, we're going to play the field!!

Sure, we experienced a couple of hiccups, but were very impressed with this new class of ship and, most of all, its crew. Everyone was doing their best and, time and again, smiling faces (under masks, but you could see it in their eyes) greeted us. From cabin stewards to bar and dining staff, to maintenance staff and officers.

The crew at Guest Services promptly answered the line the few times I called with questions, often answered by Harrison Findley (one of two? GSM's). I can recall on a few other sailings calling GS only to have the phone ring and ring.

I unknowingly used my Platinum/Diamond party drink voucher at the Smokehouse when I purchased a flight of draft beers for the two of us to sample - wish we had tried them sooner! The Amber and the IPA were the winners in our book (thank you, I'll take another)! We also gave them a try for dinner on the last night, after cancelling our Steakhouse dinner. I enjoyed the (upcharge) Prime Rib there. I had asked for extra horseradish for it and was told they don't have any there. I asked if it could be procured (not the word I used) from another restaurant. They brought the food to our table PDQ, along with about a ~2/3 cup portion of horseradish.... way overkill, but THANKS 🙂

Overall impression of the Presidential suite - it was nice, but could have used more shade on the balcony. I know it's basically up top, so no matter which way the ship was turned, there was sun (skin starting to peel this morning as I type this). Most of our balcony time was at night - even sleeping for hours on the daybed on about 3 evenings, once until 5 am. 🙂  I was surprised that it's tough getting around the bed - the door to the living area basically hits the corner of the bed when it's open. Just a tad more space (yes!) or a different arrangement would help. Oh, and while they're at it -- how about a soft close lid on the toilet? !  A second toilet would have been a nice extra - as is the case in the Captain's Suite on a couple of the Conquest class ships. BTW, those balconies are also over the bridge. We've been in some which had overhead coverage for shade, and others which were fully open to the sky. Pros and cons depending on your preference, and the weather.  The closet area is a traffic jam, only one person can be there at a time. Even when I was at the far left (of three doors) getting to my hanging clothes, if Cheryl was trying to get to something at the far right door, it would close mine. I almost had my fingers pinched a couple of times. Speaking of doors, I know we're on the front and subject to higher winds and such - but MAN, those two doors going out onto the balcony take some real strength to open or hold open. Did I say they were heavy?

I pre-purchased the premium Wi-Fi, and was very VERY pleased with the coverage on the ship and the speed. Carnival has come a long way! On three different occasions I tested the speed (1 port day, two at sea) and averaged close to 30 Mbps. I used my phone as a hotspot, so that Cheryl could piggy back and I could get my laptop online as well. The downside, if I left the cabin Cheryl would not have service. Still, it worked out well. I was able to stream Sirius and Pandora without issue.

I will say that it was at times challenging using the QR codes to pull up meal or drink menus. Sometimes it would download them, and I'd have to use another app to find them. Just kind of glitchy. I like tech and all, but I'd like a physical menu in my hands!

For this year, we have a hold on a forward excel suite, but I really feel that it would be too windy up there, and the steel balcony would block a lot of sea view when sitting down. I was also looking at a Havana balcony cabin - those were small, but intriguing. Over the next two years I did book 3-4 other sailings (where deck 15 aft excel or Presidential suites were available)... if only to grab them before they were gone. Better to have them as options (booked with fully refundable military rates), than have nothing left to choose from when the time comes! 

Tom

Thanks for the comments.  We have one of the aft excel corner suites in January.  The overhand is large and I will spend lots of time there.  I did not have any issues using the qr codes but saw some that did.  Wish we had a chance to meet up again, sure we will get an opportunity to do so again.

1 minute ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks for taking us along on your cruises. I really appreciate the time you put in to inform us all. I enjoyed Horizon when we sailed in 2018 and really look forward to being able to sail on Mardi Gras in the future.

Heather

My pleasure

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks for the comments.  We have one of the aft excel corner suites in January.  The overhand is large and I will spend lots of time there.  I did not have any issues using the qr codes but saw some that did.  Wish we had a chance to meet up again, sure we will get an opportunity to do so again.

No doubt we will (meet up again) !

🙂

Tom

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Tom, you slacker! I've been searching all over for your review. Ya think they'd at build you a walk-in closet.

Seriously, I have really enjoyed reading all your posts. Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously and experience the Suite life. Really great threads by @Jimbo5544 and @KMomChicago.

and @SonoranDevil, too.

Edited by mondello
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Thanks Tom for your honest review of the beautiful suite and its massive private outdoor paradise. My dad’s handicap balcony had a powered door; I wonder if that could replace the heavy door to the deck in the suite? It was so blisteringly hot on this cruise, I have to wonder if the Presidential would be more usable in, say, January with slightly cooler weather and less intense sunlight?

Also thank you for your service and for being an essential worker.

You’re right about the food options. Literally more than a person could sample in a single voyage!! What a terrible problem.  We had to make very difficult decisions daily! And on vacation! 😆

Glad to have briefly met you and Cheryl; thanks for your co-leadership on the roll call and the crawl and bringing us into the fold. If you choose to start your own thread (whether here or future journeys) I would not ever call that unnecessary. Your knowledge and perspective and experience make you a very valuable contributor here. ❤️

Travel safely, often and well and please keep us all posted on your adventures.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

OK, if you are considering going on the Mardi Gras, my recommendation is DO IT.  If you DO IT soon, it might be the BEST cruising opportunity you have.  To be on ship at 60% makes it a flat out home run.  Thanks for following along.  Next stop Horizon 9/26…

Jimbo...thanks for the great review.  We'll be sailing the same 2 ships, just a few weeks apart.   We'll be on the Horizon on 8/29 and then the Mardi Gras on 10/30.  And we already have a B2B lined up for 8/27 9/3/22 back on the MG.

Just to throw out a hypothetical to you.  Assuming that Excel 3 is coming out Nov or Dec of 2023 and will be stationed in Galveston, would Carnival have the TA come into MIA or possibly even NYC  like the Mardi Gras was supposed to and then have another leg or two before repositioning to Galveston? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Jimbo...thanks for the great review.  We'll be sailing the same 2 ships, just a few weeks apart.   We'll be on the Horizon on 8/29 and then the Mardi Gras on 10/30.  And we already have a B2B lined up for 8/27 9/3/22 back on the MG.

Just to throw out a hypothetical to you.  Assuming that Excel 3 is coming out Nov or Dec of 2023 and will be stationed in Galveston, would Carnival have the TA come into MIA or possibly even NYC  like the Mardi Gras was supposed to and then have another leg or two before repositioning to Galveston? 

Sounds like I need to line up a side hustle as a TA in advance of all of this excitement.  I already have about 4 of those but what's one more?

(Waits for the TA's to explain why it's NOT a side hustle.)

Sorry, sorry, sorry. Can't resist. I gotta get some kind of retirement plan in place. It's either gonna be pharma consulting or travel consulting. Hmmmm.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I t really was my pleasure.  Here is a little secret I learned., You might get your wish on theird build  excel class being home ported in Galveston when she comes out in 2023

i can't wait!! 

we have a cruise coming up in october on the vista,  which we've been on several times and another in march, on the dream which will be our first time. 

if it was one of the larger carnival ships and it came out of galveston we've been on it!  so looking forward to the dream.

all your info has been fantastic!!

btw,  just started monitoring the boards again.  for christmas my husband gave me all of my notes that i've taken over the past 20 years and had them bound!!  and he separately wrapped all of my picture albums, which there were about 35!!!  so i've been busy reliving!!

now it's CRUISIN TIME!!!!

thanks again

hugs from texas

nicki

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

i can't wait!! 

we have a cruise coming up in october on the vista,  which we've been on several times and another in march, on the dream which will be our first time. 

if it was one of the larger carnival ships and it came out of galveston we've been on it!  so looking forward to the dream.

all your info has been fantastic!!

btw,  just started monitoring the boards again.  for christmas my husband gave me all of my notes that i've taken over the past 20 years and had them bound!!  and he separately wrapped all of my picture albums, which there were about 35!!!  so i've been busy reliving!!

now it's CRUISIN TIME!!!!

thanks again

hugs from texas

nicki

Love it, enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JaniceB said:

Thank you so much for your review of both cruises.  I have enjoyed reading about both ships.

Thanks for following along.  I loved doing them.  I hope my love for cruising shown thru loud and clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I asked that question of the Mgt friend and he said they hoped they would b able to do just that.  He also did say that was a ways off

2 hours ago, mondello said:

Tom, you slacker! I've been searching all over for your review. Ya think they'd at build you a walk-in closet.

Seriously, I have really enjoyed reading all your posts. Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously and experience the Suite life. Really great threads by @Jimbo5544 and @KMomChicago.

and @SonoranDevil, too.

Thanks

On 8/11/2021 at 4:54 PM, chichigirl said:

Any info on casino would be great.  Slots tight or loose.  I’m on an ultra the 28th and it’s long overdo.  Thanks for comments.

I did not hear too many slot jackpots announced. Did see a lot of ultra chips being bet. Almost all $5 minimum tables, and they were usually near full.

12 minutes ago, LinBil said:

I did not hear too many slot jackpots announced. Did see a lot of ultra chips being bet. Almost all $5 minimum tables, and they were usually near full.

Oddly, many times the $25 blackjack table on the non-smoking side was full as well. When I plopped my promo chips down, I probably had to wait 10 to 15 minutes just to get a seat.

One of the busiest Carnival casinos I've witnessed.

Tom

1 minute ago, blarko said:

Love the LIVE reviews and this one did not disappoint. Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to do this.

You are most welcome.  I LOVE cruising and wanted to share that lovr with everyone here.

• Like 2