Gin - which ones?

Alsun

Could anyone please tell me which gins are available?

I have seen a drinks menu on one of the threads but it only showed Beefeater and Gordon’s. Think that was on the Living Room drinks menu? 

Really hope additional choices are available….. if so, where (which bar) could  I find them?

And related, which tonic is used? 

Thanks

Sadly Viking were still not offering any of the many flavoured gins that some of us in the UK now enjoy when I was on Viking Venus in June.

In 2019 on the suggestions form handed out on my cruise I mentioned that they might like to offer some.

The same day I got a phone call from customer services to say they thought it was a good idea and it would be pushed up line for consideration.

No progress ,situation still the same.

I was only able to get Fevertree I think,not sure now.

Edited by sugarside
omission
  • Like 1

I remember a copy of a bar menu on Iceland live and am pretty sure it said Gordon’s, Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks.  Probably inspired my husband to agree to packages for the last two.  He would probably not like the modern flavoured ones!

• Like 1

Aaron, the pool bartender on  Viking Orion, showed us a high end gin Highclere,  Named after a castle in England.  I was drinking rum drinks at the time. But I do love a fine gin martini.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Aaron, the pool bartender on  Viking Orion, showed us a high end gin Highclere,  Named after a castle in England.  I was drinking rum drinks at the time. But I do love a fine gin martini.  

Highclere = Downton Abbey.

• Thanks 1

I didn’t care for the Highclere-it was pretty harsh IMHO.  However, was surprised by the Ketel One.  Not only that they made a gin but that it was tasty-very smooth and enough botanicals without being overpowering.  
YMMV

30 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I didn’t care for the Highclere-it was pretty harsh IMHO.  However, was surprised by the Ketel One.  Not only that they made a gin but that it was tasty-very smooth and enough botanicals without being overpowering.  
YMMV

Haha, I thought so too.  The fine print on the bottle says "made in China".  😱 Ok that might be a bit of a sea tale but I did agree with you..🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

YMMV

I always thought that Ketel 1 is a jenever, not a gin as it is distilled from grains? 

Did they serve it neat? 

1 hour ago, Alsun said:

I always thought that Ketel 1 is a jenever, not a gin as it is distilled from grains? 

Did they serve it neat? 

It is a jenever…my knowledge is not as great as yours. Never knew what that meant. 

They serve it how you wish. I had mine (as I do most liquors) on the rocks. I had to have tonic and several limes to make the Highclere tolerable. LOL

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

It is a jenever…my knowledge is not as great as yours. Never knew what that meant. 

They serve it how you wish. I had mine (as I do most liquors) on the rocks. I had to have tonic and several limes to make the Highclere tolerable. LOL

You ended up drinking a G & T. A great summertime drink! 😀

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Definitely wouldn’t claim a great knowledge! It’s just that I spent some time in the Netherlands over 15 years ago (before the “gin revival”) and noticed (& tried) both young and mature jenever. It was mostly served neat at fridge temperature and sometimes in a combi with beer! (One would first drink the beer followed by a shot of jenever…..)

I guess it’s a tricky one to classify as it’s neither a (genuine) gin, whiskey or liquor, but gin would probably be closest. Agree it’s very nice 😊 

• Like 1

they did have fever tree a couple of years ago!!!

although not available on the ship I suggest you try Hendricks with Elderflower Tonic Water by fever tree...not your father's G&T!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1