Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

8 minutes ago, fluffybunny22 said:

I have a cruise booked that leaves on a Monday and we are flying out on Saturday morning too early to schedule a test before flying out. We could get the test done Friday afternoon and still be within the 72 hour window when we board on Monday. It's still a good ways away but I don't think countries and cruise lines are going to drop the negative test requirement. I could change our EZ Air reservations and fly a different less desirable airline for basically the same price and we'd leave Saturday night.

The CDC / Airlines use the 3 day window to make it easier for travelers to make flight arrangements. For example:  A test taken anytime  on Tuesday for a flight anytime on Friday. Also confirm by checking CDC 72 Hour definition on the web. I "Assume" Princess will follow the same logic as passengers will board at different times.  Hope this helps

Princess language refers to days, so you should be fine anytime on Day Zero.  Day Zero + 3 is sail date.  You can also do test on Day 1 or Day 2 (assuming can get quick result back).  IDK how they would measure the 72 hrs - from personal check-in time, or scheduled sail-away time.

Am I thrilled about having to get a test done before the cruise, no. I think Princess and other lines doing similar requirements are trying their best to keep passengers safe and get back to profit making. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RRFan said:

So does this mean you get 100% refund?  or 100% future cruise on account?  That sounds like a good plan for all cruise lines at this point.  They have made a huge mess of this. 

Yes, 100% refund.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

No fees.   100% refund back to my card.

Could this be for the nearest cruises (as in August 15, 22 only) or would it be for all AK cruises?  We've got one on HAL in Sept and one on PCL later in Sept.  Have not gotten any notification on either.  Hoping to just cancel one or both!  

6 minutes ago, RRFan said:

Could this be for the nearest cruises (as in August 15, 22 only) or would it be for all AK cruises?  We've got one on HAL in Sept and one on PCL later in Sept.  Have not gotten any notification on either.  Hoping to just cancel one or both!  

We were on August 22, 2021.  We also cancelled a December cruise to Caribbean as well.  I believe they are opening the door to refund anyone who calls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

We do not disagree of the protocol.  We are upset there is no official note from Princess for FCC or Cash back cancellation.

On their COVID-19 Protection Plan & Book with Confidence webpages they explain some cancellation options for FCC for the cruise fare & cash refunds for other costs.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

On their COVID-19 Protection Plan & Book with Confidence webpages they explain some cancellation options for FCC for the cruise fare & cash refunds for other costs.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

I had a few conversation with Princess.  The person said after the final payment date, there will be a charge for cancellation.  And I was quoted a $4000 cancellation fees.

1 hour ago, gorge girl said:

Try Carbon Health in Seattle.  They have several locations and it is easy to book an appointment.  They had set up a testing site at the Portland Airport earlier this spring and we used them for getting a test before flying to Hawaii.  Easy to set up appointment and easy to get a test with fast results.  We live in a rural area with no quick testing so will probably drive to Portland Airport and use Carbon Healthy again on the Thursday before our cruise that leaves on Sunday, 9/12.  Good Luck!

Unfortunately the clinic in Seattle is only taking appointments for the Rapid Molecular test, which Princess won’t accept. I’m not sure how many more  hours I want to spend on this. If I can get a refund for the cruise, that may be my next step. But we’ve gotten no notifications from Princess of that option, and I can’t find anything on their website. For those who’ve cancelled and said they’ve gotten a refund or will get one, will you please let me know how you got the information. TYIA

Edited by Crystabel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The negative publicity would be over-the-top out of proportion no doubt due to the issues in spring 2020 as the pandemic took hold.  I imagine the press would have a feeding frenzy.

So did investors with RCL and other cruise stocks dropping significantly and have not recovered yet to the prices they were before that day.

1 minute ago, Crystabel said:

I’m not sure how many more  hours I want to spend on this.

I have a little laugh in my head reading this.  I was just thinking the other day that if I added up all the hours on the calls from the time we had with Medallions up to today, it could be a very good paycheck.

• Like 2

I agree that Princess should have done what Royal Caribbean did - PHASE IN the on-your-own testing prior to boarding. Royal provided onsite testing for the first cruise for ALL guests when they first implemented the testing requirement. (Unvaxed guests still have to get tested onsite prior to boarding.) This allowed those sailing on that early cruise a chance to relax knowing Royal would provide the testing. On our cruise I know there was at least one vaccinated guest who did not get the test within the correct timeline. Royal gave him the test onsite so he could board. This is what Princess should offer IMO. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My opinion is that the decision was made to eliminate a large group gathering waiting to be tested and waiting for results at port. They could be hosting a super spreader just by testing.

Does not appear to be a problem for the UK sailings.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

No fees.   100% refund back to my card.

5 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I had a few conversation with Princess.  The person said after the final payment date, there will be a charge for cancellation.  And I was quoted a $4000 cancellation fees.

So now I am confused 

is there a $4000 penalty to cancel your cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This is the exact issue that we're going to have. Our first cruise will be on a Tuesday.

We fly to Maui several times per year usually on a Tuesday so we get tested on Saturday.

We get the PCR test at Kaiser which has an LA area lab & each time we received test results by Sunday afternoon. As a Hawaii trusted partner testing site it is done for free but don’t know if it’ll be the same for a cruise. Even if we have to pay for the test we’ll likely use that option but if not a KP member don’t know if testing is an option. They’ve stated that non-KP members can be vaccinated so testing might be an option to non-members.

5 minutes ago, shackpacker said:

This is all too complicated!  If I am sailing on a Saturday but flying in two days early (leaving on Thursday) does my test on Wednesday work???

It should. Testing Day 0 = Wednesday. Thursday = Day 1. Friday= Day 2. Saturday = Day 3. 

They told me that masks will be required in all public areas inside the ship except when you are eating or drinking.  I'm sure some people won't be happy but I say better safe than sorry.  Just FYI, for anyone planning a cruise in the near future.

2 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

So now I am confused 

is there a $4000 penalty to cancel your cruise?

That was before today.  

There is no penalty to cancel now.

Edited by CeCe_

3 hours ago, Condocat said:

Does anyone know if the BinaxNow "home" test by Abbott Labs is accepted as proof for your Covid test?  Many airlines are accepting it for international flights.  That would make life so much easier! 

Can you get the results in time?

Just now, CeCe_ said:

It was before today.  

There is no penalty to cancel.

Okay, so after sending out that mask, testing notification they are allowing cancellations without penalty after final payment 

thank you for sharing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

Okay, so after sending out that mask, testing notification they are allowing cancellations without penalty after final payment 

thank you for sharing 

They need to put that change in writing on their website.

• Like 2