Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

10 minutes ago, Mikeandliz said:

It takes up to 2 days to get PCR Test results. Our Cruise is in 2 weeks on the 21st.  If I take the test on that Tuesday assuming the results will be available  on  Thursday , does that meet the 72hr requirement?

No Wednesday 

37 minutes ago, Mikeandliz said:

It takes up to 2 days to get PCR Test results. Our Cruise is in 2 weeks on the 21st.  If I take the test on that Tuesday assuming the results will be available  on  Thursday , does that meet the 72hr requirement?

If vaccinated you have the option of taking the antigen test if available in your area. It takes a few minutes to a few hours to get the results.... from the letter I got from Carnival

"Effective with cruises departing on Saturday, August 14, 2021, we will require ALL fully vaccinated guests to produce a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Carnival Cruise Line sailings. Guests who are unvaccinated will continue to follow the requirements already communicated (and as detailed below). "

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mikeandliz said:

Here is a link to the CVS Minute Clinic Website.  Type in your zip code and a list of nearby places will show up.  You can make a reservation 2 weeks in advance, you pick a place, pick a day and then pick a time.  easy peasey.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

• Like 5

Vaccinated passengers can use the rapid antigen tests. Unvaccinated passengers have to present the results of a PCR tests. 
Some places require the PCR test regardless of vaccination status, that’s why that warning is there. But Carnival’s website states that rapid antigen test results are acceptable, as long as you’re also presenting proof of vaccination along with it. 

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here is a link to the CVS Minute Clinic Website.  Type in your zip code and a list of nearby places will show up.  You can make a reservation 2 weeks in advance, you pick a place, pick a day and then pick a time.  easy peasey.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Not so easy peasy. When you follow the link you provided, you eventually get to a page where you select your test type:

"Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)" - Where does that leave us when we need it to be a PCR test? Will you get the PCR test or the NAAT test, which it seems is not acceptable to Carnival?

The other option, rapid-result test, doesn't specify that it's the acceptable antigen test. My understanding is the other type of rapid test is that NAAT test, which CVS lists with PCR as a Molecular lab test, so I would guess it's an antigen test, but it doesn't actually say that.

CVS test type.png

4 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Not so easy peasy. When you follow the link you provided, you eventually get to a page where you select your test type:

"Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)" - Where does that leave us when we need it to be a PCR test? Will you get the PCR test or the NAAT test, which it seems is not acceptable to Carnival?

The other option, rapid-result test, doesn't specify that it's the acceptable antigen test. My understanding is the other type of rapid test is that NAAT test, which CVS lists with PCR as a Molecular lab test, so I would guess it's an antigen test, but it doesn't actually say that.

CVS test type.png

All I know is that it was reported by multiple people on that thread that they got their testing done at CVS previously and one poster had it done four times.  The Rapid result test results come back in an hour.  If by some chance I get a false positive, I will get re tested with the PCR test.

All I am doing is paying forward a link that may help some people.  I don't care where you go Jim, if CVS is not good enough for you, go to Walgreens or your local walk in clinic.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

The other option, rapid-result test, doesn't specify that it's the acceptable antigen test.

As a matter of fact, it does.  Enter your zip code, answer the first few questions and then you will be given a list of locations that are near you and which type of testing they provide.  There are ones that say Test type: Rapid-result (Antigen), while others say Molecular Lab test (PCR/NAAT).

The rapid result antigen is required by Carnival.

Just now, SNJCruisers said:

All I know is that it was reported by multiple people on that thread that they got their testing done at CVS previously and one poster had it done four times.  The Rapid result test results come back in an hour.  If by some chance I get a false positive, I will get re tested with the PCR test.

All I am doing is paying forward a link that may help some people.  I don't care where you go Jim, if CVS is not good enough for you, go to Walgreens or your local walk in clinic.

I didn't say CVS isn't good enough for me, or that one couldn't get their test done at CVS. All I'm saying is at the CVS site it's not clear which test you'll be given since the rapid test option doesn't specify it's antigen and the other option might be the NAAT test, which apparently isn't accepted by Carnival. It puts us in a spot.

Walgreens options seem more useful, since they clearly list antigen, PCR, and the third type, ID-NOW, which Carnival doesn't specify as acceptable. The only problem there is in my case the closest antigen test to me is in Maine and I live in upstate New York. But the PCR would work, assuming I get the results fast enough.

Walgreens test type.png

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

As a matter of fact, it does.  Enter your zip code, answer the first few questions and then you will be given a list of locations that are near you and which type of testing they provide.  There are ones that say Test type: Rapid-result (Antigen), while others say Molecular Lab test (PCR/NAAT).

The rapid result antigen is required by Carnival.

You apparently missed my inserted screen shot of what the CVS site says. It just says "Rapid-result test". it doesn't specify that it's antigen. The NAAT test is also a form of rapid test.

CVS test type.png

Edited by Earthworm Jim

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

You apparently missed my inserted screen shot of what the CVS site says. It just says "Rapid-result test". it doesn't specify that it's antigen. The NAAT test is also a form of rapid test.

CVS test type.png

No, you are wrong Jim.  Did you bother to look at the list of nearby CVS stores that you can choose from?  Once you look at that list, it specifies whether that particular location provides the Molecular test or the Rapid result one and it's at that location that it specifically adds Antigen.  This is all after you scroll down past the check boxes that you screen shot me about.

48 minutes ago, xraymomma said:

Vaccinated passengers can use the rapid antigen tests. Unvaccinated passengers have to present the results of a PCR tests. 
Some places require the PCR test regardless of vaccination status, that’s why that warning is there. But Carnival’s website states that rapid antigen test results are acceptable, as long as you’re also presenting proof of vaccination along with it. 

And since everything else changes, who knows how long that will be the policy?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

CVS test type.png

Here's a link to a posting in another thread that the OP had a screenshot of what I was talking about.

I did a “mock testing booking” since my cruise is 5+ weeks out & scheduling for CVS only allows up to 2 weeks.  The closest one that matches rapid is 25+ miles away while the dozen or so closer apparently don’t.  I may have to look at alternatives based on that.  Obviously don’t want to fly down to Miami expecting rapid tests to be available the day before the cruise.

11 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

No, you are wrong Jim.  Did you bother to look at the list of nearby CVS stores that you can choose from?  Once you look at that list, it specifies whether that particular location provides the Molecular test or the Rapid result one and it's at that location that it specifically adds Antigen.  This is all after you scroll down past the check boxes that you screen shot me about.

OK fair enough. I'll have to take your word for it. Because when I select the rapid test option I just get a message "We're sorry. We are unable to find any testing locations with the filter you selected". And it's not as if I live in the boonies.

It does give me plenty of Molecular Lab Test options, but they all say "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)", so it's not clear which you'd be getting. Though perhaps at the actual CVS they give you a choice. Or maybe the reason I have no rapid test options in my area is because they are using the NAAT, which is also rapid. Who knows?

• Like 1

SNJ, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you've put in to assist total strangers.  I've read extensively as well.  The CVS rapid test qualifies for Carnival from everything I've read.

We personally went through all of this once before prior to our April Hawaii trip. Only at that time Hawaii was only accepting 'trusted partners' and a required 72 hour PCR cost us $150pp, administered at the local medical research center.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

SNJ, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you've put in to assist total strangers.  I've read extensively as well.  The CVS rapid test qualifies for Carnival from everything I've read.

We personally went through all of this once before prior to our April Hawaii trip. Only at that time Hawaii was only accepting 'trusted partners' and a required 72 hour PCR cost us $150pp, administered at the local medical research center.

My pleasure, just paying it forward.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

OK fair enough. I'll have to take your word for it. Because when I select the rapid test option I just get a message "We're sorry. We are unable to find any testing locations with the filter you selected". And it's not as if I live in the boonies.

It does give me plenty of Molecular Lab Test options, but they all say "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)", so it's not clear which you'd be getting. Though perhaps at the actual CVS they give you a choice. Or maybe the reason I have no rapid test options in my area is because they are using the NAAT, which is also rapid. Who knows?

The original choices location wise only gave me 7.  Then there was a box to click for additional locations and it gave me 25 locations.  18 offered PCR, 6 offered Antigen and 1 was temporarily closed. And they were all within 15 miles of my house.

• Like 2

I went to CVS with a copy of what I need.  The rapid results test is used for " I don't feel well, wonder if I have Covid". 

The molecular PCR/NAAT is what is used to proof for travel. Takes 24=72 hours for results. You make an appointment, go to the drive thru, stick a stick up your nose and give it back. They send it to a lab (quest/ labcorp). You are then given info for an app you place on your phone, or computer. You create an account, and that is where your results are sent. You can show Carnival, RCI, whomever your negative results on your phone.

The antigen BIMAX is another test that will work, but you generally have to pay for it ($150-$200)pp. Usually done at a different location. (Not CVS/Walgreens).