The Daily for Thursday August 05, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Underwear Day, National Oyster Day, and Work Like a Dog Day

"I'm thankful for the three ounce Ziploc bag, so that I have somewhere to put my savings. - Paula Poundstone"

Meal suggestion for today - Bacon Harvest Chicken Skillet

Drink of the Day - Chimayó Cocktail

Wine of the day - Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand - White

Destination of the Day - Himeji Japan

Ships with Passengers

Ketchikan, AK
Nieuw Amsterdam 07:00 - 13:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting
Noordam Destination Ensenada MX eta 8/12

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ijmuiden NL
Oosterdam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam

Piraeus GR
Eurodam

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0805World.thumb.png.eb6c7eb784ae4c9d64dacd1e4d09f4a6.png

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A salute to underwear, I'll pass on the Oysters and working like a dog.  Witty quote by Poundstone.  I don't think I've been to today's port.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, and Veal Chop with Creamy Porcini Sauce as served on MS Prinsendam August 5, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
DurangoScots shelter manager undergoing dialysis
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Out of ICU)
St Louis Cruisers brush with Covid and missing graduation
Ger_77's friend undergoing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome home Miss Camila
Nieuw Amsterdam in Ketchikan
2 days for Aliaschief and bobpatj
CrazyForCats on Nieuw Amsterdam
New booking for Cruising Along
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  I didn't know underwear had it's own day.  I'll pass on the oysters.  And if working like a dog is working like my dog, it's an easy life.😉

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The wine sounds good too, hope the drink of the day is tasty too.

Another port I have not visited, looking forward to seeing pictures and comments.

Prayers to all.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning, everyone.   

Not much new stuff happening here, which may be a good thing.  Hitting the pool this morning and washing the car.  I'll wear underwear after the pool but pass on the oysters and working like a dog.  

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a29253159/harvest-chicken-skillet-recipe/

20190926-bacon-brussels-sprout-chicken-skillet-ehg-1851-jpg-1572040584.jpg.ca927576e9e32b144bd8426151ed4796.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from a cloudy and drizzly Boston.  Nice to see that underwear has it’s own day.  We love oysters with martinis. I always like a dog but come to think of it dogs don’t usually work.  Funny quote today.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice. Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for all on our prayer list esp. baby Camilla and for@StLouisCruisers good health.  Cheers to all celebrating an event today!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Love underwear has it's own day.  Love oysters anytime, and if I worked like our neighbors dog I would sleep in the sun all day.  The meal looks good, but we are doing takeout at our favorite Mexican place tonight. 

Prayers for our care list and a huge toast to the shoutouts.  Welcome home Miss Camilla and continued good thoughts for @StLouisCruisersand your health decision.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  We all want to be on a BHB soon.

Chimayo Cocktail:

The Chimayó cocktail was created by Arturo Jaramillo, owner of the Rancho de Chimayó restaurant in Chimayó, New Mexico in 1965, the Chimayó Cocktail is a tequila and apple cider based drink. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz Apple cider, 1/4 oz Creme de cassis, 1/4 oz Lemon juice, 1½ oz Tequila
Preparation: Pour the tequila and unfiltered apple cider into glass over ice. Add the lemon juice and creme de cassis and stir. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Slice of unpeeled apple
Drinkware: Highball glass

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 7.35.59 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning!  It is yet another cloudy beginning to our day here but it's supposed to be sunny later, high of 84F.  I wonder who decided we should have an underwear day?  No thanks to the oysters, and I'm going to try not to work like a dog today.  Interesting quote.  I'm not sure about the meal suggestion for today.  I haven't been to today's port like everyone else so far.  

Thanks to Rich for the Daily today, Roy for his care and celebration lists, and to Debbie for her dedication to the menu suggestions each day.  Prayers for those in need and shout outs to everyone celebrating.  Have a good day everyone!

• Like 24

A  very  good  morning  to  everyone and  thanks  so  much  for  the Daily.  I  am  so  glad  that  underwear  has  it's  own day. I  love  oysters  and  would  work  like  a  dog  if  I  could  be  like  Fred.He  seems  to  enjoy  his  life  and  is  always  curious. Yesterday  we  sat  on  the  front  steps  and  watched the  Con  Edison  workers  dig  up  a  section  of  the  street. Very  entertaining.

I  promise  not  to  bore  people  with  endless  baby  pictures  but  I  had  to  have  one  with  Miss  Camilla  in  the  arms  of  her  Great  Grandma yesterday.  Things  seem  to  be  going  well  so  we  are  all  breathing  a  sign  of  relief.

Tana  remains  in  the  hospital   and  can  now  have  no  visitors. We  face  time  her  during  dinner so  that  she  can  see  her  son   and  the  dog who  sits  under  the  table  when  we  eat. She  is  on  oxygen and  IV  antibiotics  again.

Have  a  very  good  day  everyone  and  thanks  again  for  the  support.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  A salute to underwear, I'll pass on the Oysters and working like a dog.  Witty quote by Poundstone.  I don't think I've been to today's port.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Sun Ripened Pineapple Delight, Minted Melon and Raspberry Soup, and Veal Chop with Creamy Porcini Sauce as served on MS Prinsendam August 5, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
DurangoScots shelter manager undergoing dialysis
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Out of ICU)
St Louis Cruisers brush with Covid and missing graduation
Ger_77's friend undergoing mastectomy
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Tana back in the hospital

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Front Line Health Care Workers

Welcome home Miss Camila
Nieuw Amsterdam in Ketchikan
2 days for Aliaschief and bobpatj
CrazyForCats on Nieuw Amsterdam
New booking for Cruising Along
garlictown in Maui
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Care and Shout out lists.  Have a good day Roy.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

A  very  good  morning  to  everyone and  thanks  so  much  for  the Daily.  I  am  so  glad  that  underwear  has  it's  own day. I  love  oysters  and  would  work  like  a  dog  if  I  could  be  like  Fred.He  seems  to  enjoy  his  life  and  is  always  curious. Yesterday  we  sat  on  the  front  steps  and  watched the  Con  Edison  workers  dig  up  a  section  of  the  street. Very  entertaining.

I  promise  not  to  bore  people  with  endless  baby  pictures  but  I  had  to  have  one  with  Miss  Camilla  in  the  arms  of  her  Great  Grandma yesterday.  Things  seem  to  be  going  well  so  we  are  all  breathing  a  sign  of  relief.

Tana  remains  in  the  hospital   and  can  now  have  no  visitors. We  face  time  her  during  dinner so  that  she  can  see  her  son   and  the  dog who  sits  under  the  table  when  we  eat. She  is  on  oxygen and  IV  antibiotics  again.

Have  a  very  good  day  everyone  and  thanks  again  for  the  support.

Terry

Please “bore” us with lots of pictures, the more the better!

St Louis Sal

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Have to drive my neighbors to airport so I’ll call it a practice run for tomorrow. 

Hal’s Navigator App still is not fixed and we are unable to do the medical questionnaire and photo. Hal has not been a good communicator during this debacle!

So it appears we all will be walking around the ship saying “who are those masked folks!”

These two old horses are at the gate and awaiting the let’s go cruising signal. 

It’s Postime!🛳😷

• Like 30
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

An interesting collection of days and Quote.

Excellent choice of wine for the day and tasty food.

Never been to today port.

It is 68°F cloudy and very windy at the beach today.

We had some chips sitting outside and now we are eating snacks in our beach tent.

Prayers to everyone who needs them.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Graham.

16281657927226210221931661590568.jpg

16281658262682405110763311838067.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Underwear is a good thing. Skipping oysters, not so good IMHO, although youngest DD loves them on cruises. I believe I do work like a dog. Fritz takes many naps, sits by his food dish at meal time, while others prepare it for him, sits on the top step outside in the sun admiring his domain and has a dog bed in almost every room. What a life.

Reading the drink recipe reminds me of what I often say about chefs-trying to come up with a unique signature drink or dish, they sometimes come up with some strange combinations that may not hang together. I think I like the name of the drink, better than the drink 😁.

Thank you all for the Daily, including our lists of cares and celebrations. I’ve noticed when I haven’t kept up during a day, I sometimes find people on the care list and I must go back and see what happened. So prayers for all that need them 🙏 and more celebrations, please! 🍷.

Another destination I’ve missed and another chance to live vicariously.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

P.S. Lived through another lumbar puncture, two more to go. Also learned that having finished dosing, I may be eligible for other trials, waiting to hear (they are not all lumbar punctures, yay!)

• Like 30

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. I guess the day means that noone should be going "comando" today. lol.

I love oysters - an oyster Po Boy wold be good today.

It is a beautiful stat to the day here.

Stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

I had no idea underwear had it’s own day!

FAED0487-3150-46CB-927A-E12C16343654.thumb.png.2b6cb0c77f3b8809d25d50c8a6b54211.png

Yum on oysters.  I’ll happily celebrate them.  I’d love to work like my dogs - they have the life even if they are technically working dogs 😉 

F90295F1-2C26-467E-B19B-B9EC2FB5D3A8.gif.6f2268570bcb05d226e99f93929a308b.gif

LOL on the Poundstone quote.  The meal suggestion sounds good but for another night as we just had chicken.  @summer slopethat drink sounds interesting - thanks for the details.  

It is absolutely pouring here.  It’s so heavy that the dogs won’t go out.  We really don’t need more rain.  Wish some of it could go out West where it’s needed.  We might have to start building an arc here 😉 

2A1EE103-E293-4469-ABE5-8BB23F815071.jpeg.a033c552c967858f2de7f75721902b98.jpeg

@smitty34877so sorry to hear about poor Tana 😔 What a struggle for her and you.  Praying that the antibiotics & oxygen help her and she improves 🙏🏻   And we’re always happy to see pics of beautiful Miss Camilla 👍 

Another port we didn’t get to because of cancelled covid cruises so I’ll have to visit vicariously through pics of people who have been.

My old clematis survived the staining of the pergola when it’s old vines were removed and is now trying to show up the big one on the back.  It’s flowers are smaller 

4528F207-AF93-4084-8F6E-BB887561F4B6.thumb.jpeg.d71c86be09ac980d410b9cfe8f0259ab.jpeg

but it has a lot more blooms 🙂 

989E680A-F3E8-4934-A2B1-FFE24056D0F8.thumb.jpeg.15e318371c9122838f9cc09204a87717.jpeg

And my malvas are really showing off now.

8564F420-F88C-4470-9C53-58AA9AC2D98F.thumb.jpeg.93f9acd7b32da13fb77fc7e57f5ac94e.jpeg

I’m pretty pleased as they are perennials and the result of my seed starting this past winter.

8E95B239-DA9B-4E1C-BA12-A8E468AF0C55.thumb.jpeg.dee2fd9a1bf69ba952072e1a7026b38c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Lived through another lumbar puncture, two more to go. Also learned that having finished dosing, I may be eligible for other trials, waiting to hear (they are not all lumbar punctures, yay!)

YAY 🙂. Good news!

• Like 13

Good morning from central Texas.  

An interesting combination of days.  I was surprised underwear has its own day.  I like fried oysters, especially in a Po Boy and as oysters Rockefeller, just not raw.  Some dogs work hard, and then there are those who take it easy all day.  I'll settle for some where in between.

The Paula Poundstone quote is funny.

We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  Might try the meal suggestion sometime.  @rafinmd Roy's veal chop sounds good.  I'm not sure what will be our dinner, but it might be the pulled pork we were going to have yesterday.  Last night we grilled a ribeye and split it.  In August, we have to wait for cooler weather to grill, and it was about 90F yesterday.

We have not been to today's port and look forward to pictures.

@smitty34877. Glad Camilla and family are doing well.  There can't be too many pictures of that cutie.  Sad to read that Tana is still in the hospital and needing it antibiotics.  Sending good thoughts her way.

@ger_77 Gerry, good thoughts for your friends surgery.

@St. Louis Sal. Hope you get in other trials, especially those without punctures..

@kazu Loved the pictures of your plants.

There are still problems with the like button on my tablet using Chrome.  It seems to work off and on.  Yesterday was the first time a post completely disappeared into the ether.  Hopefully, it'll get fixed sooner rather than later.

My mask 😷 and I are off to the store early before it gets crowded.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1