The Daily for Thursday August 05, 2021

richwmn

In the spring of 2018, while on a Far East cruise, we were in Kobe for an overnight stay. While there we took a private one-day tour of the area, which included a train trip to see the Himeji Castle. 

image.png.f15e894c53f3e512cb33030c00d0dcce.png

Although the Himeji Castle, as a building site, dates back to the mid-1300’s, the castle as we see it today was primarily built in the early 1600’s. It is the biggest and best-preserved original castle in Japan. The main building has seven floors, surrounded by several keeps, moats, and defensive stone/brick walls.

The entry to the castle grounds is an easy 15-20 minute walk from the train station. A tour of the castle and grounds takes a couple of hours. 

The castle sits on top of a hill, so to visit the main building area, you still have a long climb up the hill. You must pass through five gates, which range from the very tall, to the very short, but all are impressive.

image.png.dd0e84a4bdf58584189c3e9c00acfd13.png

image.png.d71c9f272138a03e1e476c6e29c2535c.png

Our guide mentioned for the people who went up to the top floor (we did), that it was equivalent of climbing to the top of the Statue of Liberty!! The climb up the stairs inside the castle is a challenging task, as they were developed in a defensive manner to slow down invaders. They include many tight turns, very narrow and steep stairwells, and steps at many different heights. But when you do make to the top floor, the views are excellent.  

image.png.643d1537d1bb57cfdcbfa15d3ee5b2dc.png

Only the top floor has any thing much for displays. 

A model of the original walled city.

image.png.ba92f5bbb1c2d3514645781f2f2c3d7b.png

A wooden model of the castle. 

image.thumb.png.1c5f3031b6ce7776c09dfbf64a8178b9.png

Most of the surviving castles are made out of stone/brick, but Himeji is of wooden construction.

For almost 700 years, Himeji Castle has stayed miraculously intact and untouched even through the heavy bombing of Himeji city in World War II. A firebomb was actually dropped on the castle’s top floor, but luckily it did not explode. The surrounding area of the castle and Himeji City burned down to the ground during World War II.

The castle also remarkably survived the Great Hanshin earthquake in January 1995, which destroyed most of Himeji city. Even a bottle of sake that stood on the altar on the castle’s top floor was untouched by the earthquake. This shows that Himeji Castle is earthquake-resistant and impressively strongly built.

Today, Himeji Castle is one of only twelve original castles left in Japan.

The symbols sculpted on the roof tiles of the Japanese buildings are symbols of protection against natural disasters such as lightning, typhoon, or torrential rain. 

The rooftop tiles on Himeji castle’s towers and gates are beautifully decorated with old Japanese family crests of families that were important in the building and service of the castle and the lords who lived there. In all, there are eight different family crests adorning the ridge-end tiles and the eave-end tiles.

At one of the gates of the Himeji castle, there is a cross sign hidden between the regular roof tiles. It is believed that it was put there with the same meaning, as a protective symbol, during the late 16th century, probably by the samurai converted to Christianity who were living in the area, or by Kuroda Yoshitaka, a feudal lord in the early Edo period.
 image.png.439575afc2f6350a0210bffe0ff713d2.png

Next to Himeji Castle, you will find the lovely Kokoen Garden where the lord of Himeji Castle once lived in his residence. The garden has nine different sections with smaller gardens separated by walls, each in a different style like a Japanese water garden, tea garden, bamboo garden, and flower garden.

image.png.04e0924fcedfe15a896bdd90de1e181c.png

image.png.fce2a4aea6262785fa5c1bf68a2b1421.png

image.png.5eb55407fd63a01b3e9f80bffd699ec8.png

image.png.98c03cac935f294511b8867f35384509.png

image.png.8c1fc25fd8da9d68eb51315fc4cb244b.png

Some of the gates were of the low construction method, Lynne is 5 feet tall, most of the rest of us must duck!

image.png.1d1b73ab77bd2ee965d2f47c6023ed06.png

On the way back to the train station, we were greeted by several girls on their way home from school. 

image.png.3b7be587aadc33e9b1733addfe16fbc6.png

Like these girls, everywhere in Japan, we found the people to be very friendly and cheerful.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks all!  
@cunnorl happy anniversary 

@ger_77 sending good thoughts for healing for your friend

We very much enjoyed our visit to Himeji, although it is not a port,  we visited prior to our cruise,  it’s between Hiroshima and Kyoto and we reached it by bullet train.  The garden club will be interested in one of the top Japanese gardens in nearby Okayama.  

1356D12F-7D21-4A17-99D6-F6F45F0173D2.jpeg

C7E8E64A-6DAC-4B1E-93E8-B59FFABABC95.jpeg

3E7E128B-EDC4-4E1C-A77D-D0C2FF45AC44.jpeg

D6267354-9FF5-456D-BF68-4C45DA2C32A0.jpeg

938A800D-36C8-4F31-9EB7-5330DFEA6123.jpeg

BC2CF224-9721-4F6E-84B6-2D4C27CAB653.jpeg

66578C58-237B-408B-99E8-058D3572E159.jpeg

23F473E5-9D46-469E-BD0C-5B18F60D5DE6.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning from Ketchikan.   Last night we had a wonderful meal at the Tamarind.  The staff had switched to KN95 masks.  This morning more staff have switched to them as well.   Nothing has been announced to us about any changes while on board.

We don't have anything planned although I do hope to try a reindeer burger.

20210805_074551.jpg

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Add pictures
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Underwear - don't leave home without 'em! I'll happily take oysters from anyone who's not a fan (DH couldn't stand them)! And I was out pulling weeds early this morning, so I think I was working like a dog!

Please keep my DDIL in your thoughts in prayers - she's a covid long-hauler(chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia) and now has a collapsed lung! 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

We were quite excited about the relative normalcy reported for the NA Alaska cruise on the live threads. Then yesterday the boards exploded with news of required covid testing and extensive mask wearing onboard. 

Final payment (and CCP) is due August 22 for our Nov 20th Caribbean cruise so I have about 2 weeks to decide whether to go or cancel! 

Testing is perhaps not a big deal, but masking onboard would certainly put a damper on the cruise experience. Also, flying into Florida which seems to be a hotbed of Delta variant infections worries me a bit. Mitzi and I will be travelling with our son and his girlfriend (2 staterooms) which slightly complicates the testing logistics. We will have to put our heads together soon and examine the options...

My 50th high school reunion is scheduled for mid October with several indoor activities planned. I am already leaning towards not attending due to the Delta strain concerns. 

We are also planning to finally get to our Canadian cottage, but probably not until early September (due to Dr appts. and such). We are hoping Delta doesn't mess up the border reopening!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

From a food point of view, I find it interesting that in the Alaska, they are called reindeer burgers, whereas, in the Yukon, they are called caribou burgers. Either way, they are great burgers.🙂

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

From a food point of view, I find it interesting that in the Alaska, they are called reindeer burgers, whereas, in the Yukon, they are called caribou burgers. Either way, they are great burgers.🙂

If I call it caribou maybe DH will give it a try.  He thinks I'm nuts.😆

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Please keep my DDIL in your thoughts in prayers - she's a covid long-hauler(chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia) and now has a collapsed lung! 

Oh my!  How so very sad 😢 More prayers winging her way, Edi 🙏🏻 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning from Ketchikan.   Last night we had a wonderful meal at the Tamarind.  The staff had switched to KN95 masks.  This morning more staff have switched to them as well.   Nothing has been announced to us about any changes while on board.

20210805_074551.jpg

Appears you really lucked out, Jake.  Those boarding this Saturday will be required to wear masks, now.

Great pic!  Enjoy the reindeer burger

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Underwear - don't leave home without 'em! I'll happily take oysters from anyone who's not a fan (DH couldn't stand them)! And I was out pulling weeds early this morning, so I think I was working like a dog!

Sending prayers to your DDIL.

Hopefully she will get the treatment she needs.

Graham. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  
@cunnorl happy anniversary 

@ger_77 sending good thoughts for healing for your friend

We very much enjoyed our visit to Himeji, although it is not a port,  we visited prior to our cruise,  it’s between Hiroshima and Kyoto and we reached it by bullet train.  The garden club will be interested in one of the top Japanese gardens in nearby Okayama.  

1356D12F-7D21-4A17-99D6-F6F45F0173D2.jpeg

C7E8E64A-6DAC-4B1E-93E8-B59FFABABC95.jpeg

3E7E128B-EDC4-4E1C-A77D-D0C2FF45AC44.jpeg

D6267354-9FF5-456D-BF68-4C45DA2C32A0.jpeg

938A800D-36C8-4F31-9EB7-5330DFEA6123.jpeg

BC2CF224-9721-4F6E-84B6-2D4C27CAB653.jpeg

66578C58-237B-408B-99E8-058D3572E159.jpeg

23F473E5-9D46-469E-BD0C-5B18F60D5DE6.jpeg

Wow!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui how is your friends husband doing?

He’s in a lot of pain which sadly will be the case for a while but he was able to take a few steps with a walker (and a nurse watching like a hawk).  He was exhausted after that.  He’s undergoing a ton of tests (guessing to watch for the brain bleed) and to make sure his blood numbers are remaining ok.

I think though, Roy you can take him off the Care list.  Not that I don’t care and don’t ask for regular reports and pray but because he’s going to be there for a while.  There’s not a lot you can do for broken ribs except to keep them immobilized as much as possible and administer pain meds to help manage the pain.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I am so sorry to hear this.We understand completely  here .Prayers  for her and the family. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh my!  How so very sad 😢 More prayers winging her way, Edi 🙏🏻 

Just got a progress (or lack of) report from DS. My DIL saw her doctor last Thursday and had several tests done. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but was waiting for the test results for further treatment. After that, they heard nothing until they called the Dr's office on Tuesday. She's on vacation! Grrr. I understand that doctors are people too, and need vacations like the rest of us,  but could she at least have told my DIL that she'd be away? or ask another member of the practice to follow up? Sorry for my rant, just reflecting their level of frustration right now.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Not a first world problem, but for the 3rd. time in 18 months we are on to another PCC.  Our beloved TA from up North was forced to retire when her Agency closed due to covid.  Was assigned one from HA and he quit 2 months later.  Given the last one and she was wonderful.  Got an email today that she retired.  I hope this next one will be around for awhile.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists....and to all the Dailyites posting. Beautiful photos of Himeji, Japan! ( @bennybear@GeorgeCharlie and @Sir PMP.😊  Best Wishes to @cunnorl on your Anniversary. ✈We leave paradise later today...had a nice family ( 9 of us) dinner at Duke's last night...❤ Hula Pie!!😁

🙏Prayers for all in need.

🌺😷Katie

FB_IMG_6090357332016041089.jpg

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Just got a progress (or lack of) report from DS. My DIL saw her doctor last Thursday and had several tests done. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but was waiting for the test results for further treatment. After that, they heard nothing until they called the Dr's office on Tuesday. She's on vacation! Grrr. I understand that doctors are people too, and need vacations like the rest of us,  but could she at least have told my DIL that she'd be away? or ask another member of the practice to follow up? Sorry for my rant, just reflecting their level of frustration right now.

Sorry your DDIL is having so many problems recovering from Covid.  Sending good thoughts for an improvement and more treatment options.  Don't feel bad about the rant, as your Daily family is here to support and listen in addition to celebrating.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists....and to all the Dailyites posting. Beautiful photos of Himeji, Japan! ( @bennybear@GeorgeCharlie and @Sir PMP.😊  Best Wishes to @cunnorl on your Anniversary. ✈We leave paradise later today...had a nice family ( 9 of us) dinner at Duke's last night...❤ Hula Pie!!😁

🙏Prayers for all in need.

🌺😷Katie

FB_IMG_6090357332016041089.jpg

Been there, great place.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1