Any Canadians Cruising???.....doing alot of dreaming and reading

Kelownabccan

I have a cruise for March 2022 booked. Since we currently run afoul of HAL’s silly “mixed vaccination” ban, we’re hoping a change is made before late December or we’ll have to cancel and either switch to another cruise line or head to Mexico for an AI.

Was reading the same blog idea that I posted on the Princess web site.....apparently the cruise line will give a free COVD test the day before you get off the ship so you can fly right home to Canada.....neat idea.....that was always a negative.....get off the ship....run around trying to get a test....stay in a hotel.....then fly home if still negative.....wow....lots of buts....and ands......this way you could get off the ship and go right to airport in LA and be home late afternoon the same day......like that idea.....does HAL do anything like that out of SAN????

On 8/9/2021 at 3:42 PM, trixiee said:

Oh that's awesome!  That's what I thought, (MNRA any brand is OK) then heard otherwise.  

Thanks!

This is from the HAL website when you click at the top.  It is the Health Protocals that is part of the Worry-free promise. You have to go to the Q &A section that is under the FAQ's  

Health Protocols & FAQs | Holland America Line Cruises

image.png.f3c6c46bf191aba1f9311e93d3b3660a.png

• Like 1

We are booked for the Baltics in May of 2022 and we are thinking of cancelling.  We expect Covid to come a bit more under control in Canada and the US by the end of the year but in Russia we don't know how its going to be.  Since the Baltics is a Bucket List cruise the idea of staying onboard in any port just doesn't float our boat (pun intended LOL) so putting it off to another year is something we are seriously considering.  

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

We are booked for the Baltics in May of 2022 and we are thinking of cancelling.  We expect Covid to come a bit more under control in Canada and the US by the end of the year but in Russia we don't know how its going to be.  Since the Baltics is a Bucket List cruise the idea of staying onboard in any port just doesn't float our boat (pun intended LOL) so putting it off to another year is something we are seriously considering.  

We also have a Baltics cruise in May 2022 and just hoping it’s a go.  We’ll definitely hang in until final payment and then make a decision.  We have cancel for any reason insurance, so we could wait it out even longer if necessary.

56 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We also have a Baltics cruise in May 2022 and just hoping it’s a go.  We’ll definitely hang in until final payment and then make a decision.  We have cancel for any reason insurance, so we could wait it out even longer if necessary.

We are on an Oceania cruise that includes the Baltic in August.  Still hopeful.....

We have had many cruises cancelled.  Next up for us is a B2B on Apex with Celebrity out of FLL in April 2022.  If I had to decide today I would cancel as we will not go Florida with the covid rates so high.   Like many others we have lots of FCC to use...mainly with Celebrity.  If we don't do the Apex we may do an Alaskan cruise round trip Vancouver with Celebrity as that seems like it would be safer.

As for HAL...we had a 2021 SA cruise cancelled and we used the FCC from that to book a Sept 2022 14 day Norway cruise.  We've also booked a Jan 2023 SA Antarctica cruise with HAL.

We are both double vaxxed but I received mixed doses...AZ and Moderna.

For 2021 we are staying in Canada.  We are booked to go to Banff for a week in September...now we are re-thinking that as we aren't comfortable with Alberta's new approach to Covid.  We may go to Newfoundland instead....or just go on a road trip closer to home.  We really want to go somewhere this year!! 

FYI We live in Gatineau, just across the river from Ottawa.

• Like 2

Many of us in the same boat.....plan this cancel that.....it just seems to go on and on......CBC just put this up

For Canadians who decide to travel, using a proof of vaccination will provide foreign border officials with the vaccination history needed to assess whether a traveller meets their public health requirements and provide a trusted and verifiable credential for when they return home," says a government release.

Not sure how this is going to go over but starting something......now get rid of all the testing to travel...hope hope

And what happens with Covid on the ships....another problem.....

29 minutes ago, bobpell said:

Checked with Lifelabs here in Brampton, Ontario and a PCR test is $200 each. Results would be forwarded to an email address provided

Check with your region's health centre.  We can get a PCR test with Waterloo Region heath centre for $80.00.  And if the border ever opens, CVR does them for $139 USD, and they will do visiting Canadians.  We have planned a trip to NC and have checked out what we need re: Covid...if the border opens.  😉  

With all the latest news....who would want to go anywhere.....just seems to be getting worse.....here in Kelowna instead of snow falling we have ash falling from forest fires all around us.....almost need a mask just to walk in your backyard....

On 8/8/2021 at 7:54 PM, nimiq said:

If we wait for the Canadian government to reduce the travel advisory to the states we might just wait for ever. Funny how out government à letting US citizens fully vaccinated to come visit us but at same time he’s saying not to go. I’m fully vaccinated and willing to take the risk and will wear my mask when possible. 
The only thing bugging me like u said is because our gouvernement has issue that travel advisory this might void our COVID Insurance. 
Sea Ya 

Eric 

HAL offers travel insurance and I am 99% sure  Manulife offers it too . I don't care what drama teacher advise or think .

• Haha 1

Cruising in Greece on the Seabourn Ovation.  Understand we do not have a single Canadian aboard although some Americans told us they flew to Europe on Air Canada.  On our ship we have happy Americans, French, Germans, Greeks and a few other nationalities.  Things are pretty normal with no passenger masking and only some inside masking in the shops of some ports.  It is kind of strange and wonderful to be on this voyage with all the pandemic news seeming to be in another world.  We do get tested every Friday (for free).  The Geeks islands are all open (and crowded) and we will do some independent island hopping after the cruise.  For what it’s worth there is some normalcy in the world while other parts of the world continue to lock down.

We have a Spring 2022 HAL cruise in Japan and expect it will be canceled like our previous two HAL bookings.  But

plenty of other travel opportunities for those who are flexible.

Hank

12 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

HAL offers travel insurance and I am 99% sure  Manulife offers it too . I don't care what drama teacher advise or think .

I haven’t heard of any travel insurance that currently covers trip interruption or cancellation due to COVID related issues.  If you find yourself in a foreign city with a positive test you will be denied cruise boarding, won’t be able to get on a plane home until negative so will have to quarantine in a hotel. All at your own cost. Politicizing the issue doesn’t make it go away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 3:40 AM, bobpell said:

Checked with Lifelabs here in Brampton, Ontario and a PCR test is $200 each. Results would be forwarded to an email address provided

Bob,  that is more than we are being quoted on a roundtrip airfare from San Diego to Seattle per person right now.

A PCR test is costing more than a domestic round-trip airplane trip in the US!

Unbelievable,   but I believe it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kelownabccan said:

Looks like hardly any Canadians are cruising....or am I reading things wrong.....looks like we will be waiting to next year now....I wonder when the FCC credits go away....will have to check that one out....

With the Level 4 advisory I can't image many Canadians are interested in cruising at this time.  Our FCCs are good until Dec 2022 (sail by).  I expect that if things don't improve and we have only a handful of ships and itineraries for 2022 to choose from, HAL will have to extend the time frame for the FCCs, as they have done already.

How about reporting back when your FCCs expire?  Always good to know if HAL has a consistent plan or everyone has different dates :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Looks like hardly any Canadians are cruising....or am I reading things wrong.....looks like we will be waiting to next year now....I wonder when the FCC credits go away....will have to check that one out....

There are certainly some Canadians on the Eurodam transatlantic at the end of October.

Most FCC deposits require you to be by 2021 and sail by 2022.  Everyone’s terms and conditions may be different depending on when they or  their cruise was cancelled

Canada announced today that proof of vaccinations will be required on all airlines, trains, cruise ships in the near future.

Plus all civil servants, employees of Federally regulated industries will require proof of vaccinations as a condition of employment....banks, airlines, telcos, broadcast, crown corps etc.

We are only at 70 percent fully vaccinated and 80 for one shot.  Need to do much better.  Plus get busy on 5-11 year olds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, iancal said:

Canada announced today that proof of vaccinations will be required on all airlines, trains, cruise ships in the near future.

I saw that and it is high time 👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iancal said:

Plus all civil servants, employees of Federally regulated industries will require proof of vaccinations as a condition of employment....banks, airlines, telcos, broadcast, crown corps etc.

We are only at 70 percent fully vaccinated and 80 for one shot.  Need to do much better.  Plus get busy on 5-11 year olds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-mandatory-vaccinations-1.6140131

Thanks for posting that!!!!  🙂 

This on CBC news......sends shivers up my spine.....I am spineless to go cruising...lol

Twenty-seven people aboard a Carnival cruise tested positive for COVID-19 just before the ship made a stop in Belize City this week, according to the Belize Tourism Board.

The positive cases were among 26 crew members and one passenger on the Carnival Vista, which is carrying over 1,400 crew and nearly 3,000 passengers, the board said in a statement. The ship arrived Wednesday in Belize City.

All 27 people were vaccinated, had mild or no symptoms, and were in isolation, according to the statement. The tourism board said 99.98 per cent of the ship's crew was vaccinated, as well as 96.5 per cent of its passengers.