Judge rules in favor of NCL proof of vaccine in FL

bajathree

This injunction seems to only cover the NCL brands in the ruling,  will it allow other cruise lines from Florida to ignor the no proof requirement? I prefer Celebrity to be 100% vaccinated by the time we sail in a couple of weeks.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

This injunction seems to only cover the NCL brands in the ruling,  will it allow other cruise lines from Florida to ignor the no proof requirement? I prefer Celebrity to be 100% vaccinated by the time we sail in a couple of weeks.

My understanding is that it sets a precedence for all cruise lines sailing from FL

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bajathree said:

My understanding is that it sets a precedence for all cruise lines sailing from FL

It will be interesting to see if the RCCL brands will make the change to 100%.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Someone on another site with way more knowledge than myself commented overnight. Since this is only a preliminary injunction it is only applicable to the plaintiff (NCLH companies). There are a few avenues other companies can pursue to join the suit but that will take some time. 

You can pretty much bet that FL has an appeal ready to fire off since they didn't get their way on this issue and they were denied the change of venue they were seeking to shop for a more friendly judge.

• Like 1

Three cheers for NCl for pursuing this injunction and the safety of all cruise passengers.  Hopefully, this will give RCI and the other cruise lines the opportunity to participate in all VAX cruises; at least initially to get cruising back on it's feet.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Someone on another site with way more knowledge than myself commented overnight. Since this is only a preliminary injunction it is only applicable to the plaintiff (NCLH companies). There are a few avenues other companies can pursue to join the suit but that will take some time. 

You can pretty much bet that FL has an appeal ready to fire off since they didn't get their way on this issue and they were denied the change of venue they were seeking to shop for a more friendly judge.

I agree FL will no doubt appeal.

7 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I agree FL will no doubt appeal.

Maybe.  But, at what point does it turn negative for the State to continue to pursue this when few or no one cares or wants it?  

To me it’s burning through state funds that could be much better used to stem what has become a hotbed COVID state.

• Like 2

Just now, graphicguy said:

Maybe.  But, at what point does it turn negative for the State to continue to pursue this when few or no one cares or wants it?  

To me it’s burning through state funds that could be much better used to stem what has become a hotbed COVID state.

It will keep it in the headlines, good for certain people.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The only people wanting the ban are the anti-vaxxers on both sides of the political isle.

• Like 3

Would I be correct in assuming then that Children 12 and under can no longer cruise from these ports?

I too hope that Celebrity does what it takes to be included in this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

35 minutes ago, bajathree said:

While the court’s reasoning would be applicable in a lawsuit brought by another cruise line, the Order itself is a preliminary injunction that by its terms only applies to NCLH ships.  The Order specifically states “Defendant [Florida] is ENJOINED from enforcing Section 381.00316 against Plaintiffs [NCLH] pending resolution of the merits of this case.”

https://www.2150.com/files/cc/1-21-cv-22492-KMW-CMM/43_051023674708_OrderGrantingPreliminaryInjunction.pdf

It would have been nice if the other cruise lines had challenged the Florida 

law as well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruzfiend said:

Seeing as how people are getting sick even with the vaccine, I don't see how this changes much. This virus will keep mutating, same as any flu.

Here’s the difference…..less than 1% of those who are vaccinated result in breakthrough cases.  And, in those cases, the symptoms are mild and, to my knowledge do not result in a mortality.

99% of COVID deaths are a result of those who are unvaccinated.

This makes good business sense and good health sense to get out of the way for the cruise lines to sail totally vaccinated.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

While the court’s reasoning would be applicable in a lawsuit brought by another cruise line, the Order itself is a preliminary injunction that by its terms only applies to NCLH ships.  The Order specifically states “Defendant [Florida] is ENJOINED from enforcing Section 381.00316 against Plaintiffs [NCLH] pending resolution of the merits of this case.”

https://www.2150.com/files/cc/1-21-cv-22492-KMW-CMM/43_051023674708_OrderGrantingPreliminaryInjunction.pdf

It would have been nice if the other cruise lines had challenged the Florida 

law as well. 

Well, there's a word (enjoined) that wasn't in my vocabulary.  I wonder if I can use it later today?

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

You must not be running for President. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

Would I be correct in assuming then that Children 12 and under can no longer cruise from these ports?

On NCL, yes!  At least for the time being

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Here’s the difference…..less than 1% of those who are vaccinated result in breakthrough cases.  And, in those cases, the symptoms are mild and, to my knowledge do not result in a mortality.

99% of COVID deaths are a result of those who are unvaccinated.

This makes good business sense and good health sense to get out of the way for the cruise lines to sail totally vaccinated.

I think this was a bated question/comment by cruzfiend or at least inaccurate.  Choose to ignore.  

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

Just now, jgmorgan said:

You must not be running for President. 😂

LOL!  I have way too many skeletons residing in ALL OF MY CLOSETS.  Come to think of it, none of that matters any more, so maybe I’ll throw my hat into the ring! 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

Not necessarily for Celebrity. NCL wants 100% vaccination, no exceptions. For Celebrity - right now in ports like Seattle where required vaccination records are allowable, Celebrity still lets kids under 12 onboard. Of course all of that could change if they felt kids were a significant risk. With school back in session soon, aside from maybe some holiday cruises, temporarily eliminating kids from Celebrity would have very little impact. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

Hmmm.  Maybe I will switch to NCL.