How late will RCI let me add a 3rd person in a stateroom?

Machta

Good morning, all!  

Before I tell my tale and ask my question, please note that I'm NOT looking for parenting advice, but rather for information on RCI reservations procedures . . . 

Last week my husband, 19yo daughter, and I were scheduled to sail to Alaska from Seattle on another cruise line.  We had alarms set for 3:30am to get to the airport.  At 12:15am my DD woke me up saying that she couldn't go because of a very emotional event that had happened at her work.  After a lot of talk, my husband and I went without her.  She did just fine and is working through her situation, and we had a great time.

However, as you can imagine, this has left us with a reluctance to book her on future cruises with us.  I know that one way around this is to buy some "cancel for any reason" insurance, but we wonder if another way might be to book a cruise for the two of us, book flights for all of us with miles (no change fees), and then if she gets in the car to go to the airport with us THEN call the cruise line and add her as the 3rd person in the stateroom.  Does anyone have experience with that sort of thing?

Again, I'm not looking for parenting advice, but rather info on RCI policies and procedures . . . thanks so much for sharing your expertise!

If you don't initially book with three in the room, when you go to add the third it will reprice the room at the current rates.  You are better off just booking her and letting her be a no-show if you really want to ensure she can go if she decides to.  

Also I think they also are required to submit the passenger manifest a few days before sailing and at that point no additions or name changes can be made.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If you don't initially book with three in the room, when you go to add the third it will reprice the room at the current rates.  You are better off just booking her and letting her be a no-show if you really want to ensure she can go if she decides to.  

Also I think they also are required to submit the passenger manifest a few days before sailing and at that point no additions or name changes can be made.

In addition to this good advice, you would also run the risk of there being no more life boat room for cabins in your area - just because a cabin is rated for three does not mean that the ship can still accommodate three at sailing time. 

• Like 1

Only certain cabins allow a third guest and even so, if the numbers are maxed out for the sailing you won't be able to add her. I believe sailings close earlier than you would like as well, perhaps 48 hours out? I once bought at a great discount near in like that and it was nothing but trouble at check-in. I new I had paid and would eventually be found in the system but it was surprising how much work it was for the staff.

• Thanks 1

Great thoughts, thank you all!  I should have mentioned that it was all on the assumption that we would book a cabin with room for 3+ passengers to begin with . . . but you all raise good points about whether or not the cruise would be maxed out or not.  Perhaps I'll call RCI and ask them directly.

18 minutes ago, Machta said:

Great thoughts, thank you all!  I should have mentioned that it was all on the assumption that we would book a cabin with room for 3+ passengers to begin with . . . but you all raise good points about whether or not the cruise would be maxed out or not.  Perhaps I'll call RCI and ask them directly.

I wasnt even talking about being maxed out, just way ahead of time they might not let 2 book a cabin for more. I'm solo and assume my ta couldnt book me for a aft balcony on deck 7 which has bigger balconys but put me on deck 9 in a cabin that holds 2. The cabins for 3/4 also have a different category designation on rcl. Odd hold up to 4, even hold up to 2. Like d1 is a quad, d2 for 2. Prices will be different if you can even book with only 2. Sometimes they open quads up to all to book later like maybe after final payment. 

We also have a 19 yo.  Anytime there might even be a chance he will be joining us on a cruise, we book upfront with 3 in the cabin.  We have gotten stuck not being able to add him even several months in advance.  It is always easier to go from 3 passengers to 2 than vice versa.

40 minutes ago, Machta said:

Until you get into the suites, Royal doesn't let only 2 people book rooms that hold 3+. Or at least they don't far out. There's likely a time when the do open those rooms to all - likely when the ship is getting close to sold out and there's not any 2-only rooms left or it's getting closer to the sail date and they want to fill cabins. 

I don't know for sure, but I think it's 2 or 3 days out where they close out the cruise. They have a cruise leaving Aug 13 and today (Aug 9) it's still open to book. You could check back tomorrow to see if it's still being sold. But like others said adding a third person would be a reprice - good chance to cost you a lot more money that just adding her to begin with and risking that money. 

Bits and pieces of correct information scattered among posts.

The problem that you will have is that cabins for 2 are a different category than cabins that hold 3 or 4.  If you are in a cabin that holds 2 and you go to add your daughter you will have to change categories and cabins which will result in a reprice of your reservation.

If you are lucky enough to be able to book a cabin that hold more than 2 for just the 2 of you then you can add your daughter up until 48 hours prior to sailing for the third rate without a reprice.

Nothing other than cancel for any reason will solve your daughter cancelling last minute.

Also to add that you can cancel a third / fourth guest up to 30 days prior to the cruise and get a full refund for their fare.  This may or may not involve them moving you to a double occupancy cabin and a reprice.  (This works well if there are 4 in a cabin and only one is cancelling)

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

…up until 48 hours prior to sailing for the third rate without a reprice.

So they have to turn in the manifest at least 48 hours from the time of an 8:00pm departure is scheduled? Do they ever turn it in sooner?

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

So they have to turn in the manifest at least 48 hours from the time of an 8:00pm departure is scheduled? Do they ever turn it in sooner?

Most times it is 24 hours. I always say 48 to play it safe.  It is sometime the afternoon before sailing so could be 24, could be 28 etc..

I recently made changes to our May cruise.  We had 2 cabins booked, a junior suite for our sons and the 2 bedroom grand suite for us.  Older son can’t go due to work issues.  I called travel agent to cancel junior suite and move younger son into our 2br grand suite.  RC insisted that the 2br would be reprised.  Turns out it was MUCH cheaper to move son into an interior cabin (that he won’t use) and keep gs for the 2 of us.  It was always a possibility that older son would have to cancel.  I wish I had gone ahead and set up suite for 3.  As said above, much easier to cancel one than add one.