My mothers last name is spelled wrong on my birth certificate, help!

Ysld17

My mothers last name is spelled wrong on my birth certificate,I’m in the process of trying to get it worked out I sent all the papers yesterday I have no idea how long it’s gonna take, do you think it’ll matter that my mom’s last name is spelled wrong by one letter? My name is all spelled correctly it matches my license everything on my end is spelled fine, I don’t know what customs looks for, I don’t know if they pull up my old file and see what’s there I have no idea I’ve never been cruising. Can anyone help me?

Do you have a passport?   Your birth certificate is used to get the passport.  The passport is all you then need.  I'm guessing that an official original birth certificate, not the hospital issue, regardless of the spelling, a passport would be issued.  

Edited by roger001

No passport, the woman at the post office said that they would probably deny my passport because my mothers name is spelled wrong so I went and sent everything in to get corrected, but I doubt I’m gonna have a corrected bc by September 26 So I’m probably gonna have to use the one that’s spelled wrong, and then when I get the one that’s correct go for my passport

This is copied from the US Passport Service site.

Parents name misspelled on BC
by: Anonymous

Question: I just noticed that one of my parent's last names is misspelled on my birth certificate. Is it going to be a problem if I have already submitted my passport application? A letter from one of their last names is misspelled, but all other information match.

Answer: The misspelling should not affect your passport application.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Question: I just noticed that one of my parent's last names is misspelled on my birth certificate. Is it going to be a problem if I have already submitted my passport application? A letter from one of their last names is misspelled, but all other information match.

Can you link me to this website?Can you link me to this website?

If your cruise in in September you won't be able to get a passport by then anyway. Believe it's months long wait right now. 

Your mother's name being wrong won't make a difference when you use it on your cruise. They don't actually care who your mother or father are or how their names are spelled. They just care that your name matches the one on your DL So they can prove who you are (DL) and that you were born in the US (BC). 

U.S. State Department web site today says routine passports are taking up to 18 weeks; expedited up to 12 weeks; and a third category for emergency travel where you have to prove you need to be in a foreign country within 3 days.If you're cruising on 9/26, I think you've run out of time. Good luck!!

45 minutes ago, Ysld17 said:

No passport, the woman at the post office said that they would probably deny my passport because my mothers name is spelled wrong so I went and sent everything in to get corrected, but I doubt I’m gonna have a corrected bc by September 26 So I’m probably gonna have to use the one that’s spelled wrong, and then when I get the one that’s correct go for my passport

I don't think you'll be able to get a passport by September 26.  Where are you going to be cruising to and from?  You might be able to get an Enhanced New York Driver's License from DMV.  Depending on where you are travelling, that may be just as good as a passport.  Check with the cruise line too.

The State Department is saying plan on at least 18 weeks for a passport (That's 4 1/2 months...)

See:  7 On Your Side: Passport backlog has travelers scrambling, frustrated - ABC7 New York (abc7ny.com)

I really wouldn't worry about it, as others have said, they're only concerned about the applicant's data, not his/her relatives'. In a pinch you can come down to DC and get a passport in person:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/washington.html

But I doubt it's anything to worry about.

I don’t need a Passport to where I’m cruising from, New York to Bermuda round-trip. But I was just worried that they were gonna make it an issue because my mom’s name is spelled wrong, I was also told that they were not excepting passport because of that error so I am trying to get that all sorted out. So you don’t think it matters if her name is spelled wrong I just want to make sure my name matches my license?

6 minutes ago, Ysld17 said:

I don’t need a Passport to where I’m cruising from, New York to Bermuda round-trip. But I was just worried that they were gonna make it an issue because my mom’s name is spelled wrong, I was also told that they were not excepting passport because of that error so I am trying to get that all sorted out. So you don’t think it matters if her name is spelled wrong I just want to make sure my name matches my license?

You won't need a passport for that sailing, you can get an Enhanced New York State Driver's License that will enable you to travel.  Just check with NCL to see if they will be satisfied with an Enhances NYS License.

"While your initial thought might be to get a passport, you may want to consider getting a New York State Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or an Enhanced Non-Driver ID.  The EDL allows for a convenient and cost-effective method of crossing the U.S. border by land or sea. However, an Enhanced Driver License cannot be used for air travel, and it can only be used to go to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. 

The benefit of an EDL is that it only takes about 2 weeks to process, while a passport takes about four weeks."

Summer Travel May Require An Enhanced Driver License or a U.S. Passport | NY State Senate (nysenate.gov)

I used an enhanced license for my first couple years of cruising.  I've also had family do the same on NCL without issue.  NCL will make you sign a waiver that basically says you are aware that if you miss the ship, you won't be able to give home easily since the enhanced license can't be used for air travel.  I think it's the same waiver as using only a birth certificate.  You could get a temporary passport if you had to at the US Consulate in Bermuda - It's just a pain and probably very expensive.

Getting in enhanced ID is a pain in the butt because you got to have all different types of proof of where you live and my issue is I don’t have many things of where I live as far as my physical I only have my mailing address so it’s a pain in the ass

2 hours ago, Ysld17 said:

My mothers last name is spelled wrong on my birth certificate,I’m in the process of trying to get it worked out I sent all the papers yesterday I have no idea how long it’s gonna take, do you think it’ll matter that my mom’s last name is spelled wrong by one letter? My name is all spelled correctly it matches my license everything on my end is spelled fine, I don’t know what customs looks for, I don’t know if they pull up my old file and see what’s there I have no idea I’ve never been cruising. Can anyone help me?

I think they could care less about the spelling of your mothers name. The only thing that really matters is you name needs to match up with other ID.

How would they know its spelled wrong anyway?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I think they could care less about the spelling of your mothers name. The only thing that really matters is you name needs to match up with other ID.

How would they know its spelled wrong anyway?

I have no idea if they pull up my history or not I don’t know how it works or do they just match up my name versus my birth certificateI have no idea if they pull up my history or not I don’t know how it works or do they just match up my name versus my birth certificate

59 minutes ago, Ysld17 said:

I have no idea if they pull up my history or not I don’t know how it works or do they just match up my name versus my birth certificateI have no idea if they pull up my history or not I don’t know how it works or do they just match up my name versus my birth certificate

@Laszlo is correct.

There's no "history" to pull up. Birth certificate records are kept by  individual states, counties and municipalities, not some centralized US government database such as where passport records are kept. The cruise line doesn't have access to the birth certificate data bases.

As long as the name on your photo ID matches the name on the birth certificate and the photo on the ID is a reasonable match to your face you're good to go.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Sorry, but that is not an official US government website. It's commercial website for a business trying to sell you their expediting services...which you generally don't need. While the information might be correct there's no guarantee that it is.

If I've said this once, I've said it a hundred times...official US government websites are .gov URLs...perhaps once in a blue moon .org, but not .com .

For information on US passports use the official State Department site:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

You won't need a passport for that sailing, you can get an Enhanced New York State Driver's License that will enable you to travel.  Just check with NCL to see if they will be satisfied with an Enhances NYS License.

"While your initial thought might be to get a passport, you may want to consider getting a New York State Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or an Enhanced Non-Driver ID.  The EDL allows for a convenient and cost-effective method of crossing the U.S. border by land or sea. However, an Enhanced Driver License cannot be used for air travel, and it can only be used to go to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. 

The benefit of an EDL is that it only takes about 2 weeks to process, while a passport takes about four weeks."

Summer Travel May Require An Enhanced Driver License or a U.S. Passport | NY State Senate (nysenate.gov)

The OP doesn't need an EDL. An ordinary drivers license and birth certificate are perfectly valid for a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. An EDL has no additional benefit for this itinerary as you can't fly internationally with one...you'd still need to get a passport or temporary authorization from DHS and State in order to fly back from Bermuda

Edited by njhorseman

17 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The OP doesn't need an EDL. An ordinary drivers license and birth certificate are perfectly valid for a closed loop cruise to Bermuda. An EDL has no additional benefit for this itinerary as you can't fly internationally with one...you'd still need to get a passport or temporary authorization from DHS and State in order to fly back from Bermuda

I'm cognizant of that.  The advantage to the EDL for the OP is that it won't have the mother's misspelled name on it.  That seems to be the main concern of the OP.  Also OP stated looking to get a passport.  OP will never get one in time for a 9/26 sailing but can get the EDL in time which will serve just as well.  But the OP doesn't want to be bothered getting an EDL, so it's all a moot point anyway.

Will NCL accept a DL and Birth Certificate for sailing?

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Yes...absolutely. 

I only asked because Oceania refused to permit my neighbor to board a NY to Bermuda with just a DL and BC.  They were adamant about that.  Oceania is a part of NCLH so I didn't know if that was a policy that would run across all of their lines.