No internet or smartphone.

hollyjess

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

It’s getting to that stage, I would say 100% of our family and friends, many in the 70s and 80s all have smartphones and at least access to a tablet. My FIL uses both, but he does get confused from time to time, he does have a habit of switching the router off and forgetting to switch it on and then wonders why nothing work, but for a soon to be 90 year old to learn to use both is brilliant. We have to keep an eye on their online Morrison’s shop as there have been a few occasions where he has order 12 boxes of eggs rather than a dozen, so my wife always checks it before it is delivered. 

I have made more use of mobile banking in the 18 months than zi thought I would, have managed to lay in all the cheques I have received via the app, plus with android pay on my phone hardly use cash at all now and haven’t visited my bank branch in over 5 years.

I can well understand the problems of the more rural parts of the country having poor or little access to online applications and use of apps, but that will improve as technology moves on. Like credit and debit cards, mobile phones and tablets are here to stay. 

Unlike printers, which companies like P&O assume everyone has but many do not.

I do, because I am a man of a certain age (ok, old). Many of my friends, particularly younger ones, do not. They access the internet by smartphone or tablet. They have fully embraced the digital age and everything exists purely in cyberspace. Pictures and documents are kept in jpeg or pdf format on electonic devices or in the cloud, and transferred between them via wifi. They have no need for a printer because they never print anything out.

• Like 1

What annoys me is that so many organisations are trying to push everyone to do everything digitally because it will work out cheaper for them. I do embrace technology to a degree. I don't find technology easy as I don't have any concept of mathematics or science in my brain. I do banking on-line using my laptop - but I still request cheques from Ernie which I take into the bank to pay in. That is my choice. I have a smartphone but choose to have as few apps on it as possible. I book travel such as air tickets on-line but choose to go to the railway station to buy rail tickets from a real person at a desk.

On a cruise, I have no intention of carrying my phone around all night. Should P&O, post-Covid, make it difficult to cruise without using an on-board app, then it will hasten my departure to another cruise line.

• Like 5

My father has a mobile phone - a very old one which he uses just for calls. Can’t text, never typed a word in his life.  Pre Covid they spent many a happy cruise with us, but they wouldn’t have a clue how to use apps etc, even if they upgraded to a smartphone. Nobody is suggesting that P&O shouldn’t use modern technology, but neither should passengers without smart technology be at a disadvantage.

These days you can use all sort of payment methods in shops etc, but most around here still take cash. By all means give customers options, but don’t exclude those who are unable to use modern technology. Unable, not unwilling. 

The fact that we are all members of an online forum means that we here are comfortable with the technology used. And just because many note that their own circle of acquaintances are all tech savvy shouldn’t blind them to the fact that there are also lots of people who have been bypassed by all of it. The increasing use of technology has made the world a very scary and bewildering place for many people. 

• Like 6

Totally agree with you.

31 minutes ago, Britboys said:

What annoys me is that so many organisations are trying to push everyone to do everything digitally because it will work out cheaper for them. I do embrace technology to a degree. I don't find technology easy as I don't have any concept of mathematics or science in my brain. I do banking on-line using my laptop - but I still request cheques from Ernie which I take into the bank to pay in. That is my choice. I have a smartphone but choose to have as few apps on it as possible. I book travel such as air tickets on-line but choose to go to the railway station to buy rail tickets from a real person at a desk.

On a cruise, I have no intention of carrying my phone around all night. Should P&O, post-Covid, make it difficult to cruise without using an on-board app, then it will hasten my departure to another cruise line.

Andrew, agree with nearly everything, except I wonder why Ernie can't pay your winnings into your bank?  That does seem a long way round, but each to his own.    Mind you, no bank round here any more.  Would have to drive to Plymouth to pay in a cheque or use my bank's app on my phone to photo the cheque.  Easier having it paid in. 

Totally agree.  I am not carrying my phone around the ship, especially as out of the three of us who cruise together, I am the only one with a mobile.

Edited by jeanlyon

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

Totally agree with you.

Andrew, agree with nearly everything, except I wonder why Ernie can't pay your winnings into your bank?  That does seem a long way round, but each to his own.  Totally agree.  I am not carrying my phone around the ship, especially as out of the three of us who cruise together, I am the only one with a mobile.

They can Jean and I was going to do that when they said they wouldn't send cheques out any more. I needed to change my account password with them, which they made very complicated, to the degree that I gave up! I am quite happy to take the cheques to the Bank most months - it might even help keep the Bank open!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think it's a case of forgetting about new technology.  I love it, but there are so many without it and it is becoming very difficult for them to cope.

Well said. I hate new technology. I find it very hard to cope with. I have very limited internet access, no printer, and no intention of ever getting a smartphone. I'm terrified of them. My way of coping with P&O's requests for us to do stuff online now is to keep moving the deposit for my next cruise onto another cruise and worry about it later. But I now have several cruises booked, all due to sail within a few months of each other. So I'm boxing myself into a corner and I can't see any way out!

• Like 1

All this talk about new technology and some people have fear or no interest in it but to be brutally honest we are not the future of cruise companies, the next generation is coming through who have no fear/hatred of new technology, that is we’re the cruise industry are aim for now.

• Like 2

I found the 'app' on Marella Explorer was OK but I ended up using the terminals they had around the ship. You scanned your cruise card and all the choices came up on the screen allowing you to book etc. A hybrid approach like this would work but not if P&O insist on virtual queueing. Having to constantly monitor your phone is not attractive. I would re engineer the pager system so it worked throughout the ship via the WiFI

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Valfan said:

Well said. I hate new technology. I find it very hard to cope with. I have very limited internet access, no printer, and no intention of ever getting a smartphone. I'm terrified of them. My way of coping with P&O's requests for us to do stuff online now is to keep moving the deposit for my next cruise onto another cruise and worry about it later. But I now have several cruises booked, all due to sail within a few months of each other. So I'm boxing myself into a corner and I can't see any way out!

Perhaps you could use a Travel Agent.They would be able to print stuff off for you and help you with things that might be necessary online.They often offer a discount as well

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

They can Jean and I was going to do that when they said they wouldn't send cheques out any more. I needed to change my account password with them, which they made very complicated, to the degree that I gave up! I am quite happy to take the cheques to the Bank most months - it might even help keep the Bank open!

We go into town once a week and normally call in the bank...........You can use the ATM for that sir, you could also do on line banking........If everyone did that they wouldn't need the branch and that would flush your job down the toilet ... wouldn't it......they can help you at the counter sir.😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

All this talk about new technology and some people have fear or no interest in it but to be brutally honest we are not the future of cruise companies, the next generation is coming through who have no fear/hatred of new technology, that is we’re the cruise industry are aim for now.

You are of course absolutely right but the change needs to be gradual, not instant and there needs to be an alternative in the interim for those who cannot - or do not wish to - use the technology. I believe for instance that Princess use this 'medallion' technology but that (certainly pre-Covid) pax can request a standard key-card instead. It looks as though P&O are currently offering alternative ways to book things too but it doesn't sound as though the system is working too well yet...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that P&O do not retain the current system post-Covid as the last thing I want to have to do is book entertainment or main dining (apart from Club/Fixed dining) in advance.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Britboys said:

pax can request a standard key-card instead. It

Pretty sure you can't. You can use the Medallion in exactly the same way as you would use a key card, if you do not want to make use of its functionality.

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Pretty sure you can't. You can use the Medallion in exactly the same way as you would use a key card, if you do not want to make use of its functionality.

I'm sure I read it somewhere but maybe it has changed now. I would be paranoid that the cabin door hasn't locked properly after walking away... Love Princess but sadly, like P&O, only 2 smaller ships and the Royal Class don't have a Promenade, so not much to attract me.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

That’s true enough and I can’t see a problem in a few years, but in the meantime, businesses have to ensure that there are appropriate transition arrangements in place. All current customers are important. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

That’s true enough and I can’t see a problem in a few years, but in the meantime, businesses have to ensure that there are appropriate transition arrangements in place. All current customers are important. 

There gets a point in time when people will have to make a choice use the new actually not really new technology or go to another cruise line, the transition period is like a piece of string in how long do you wait to implement the changes 

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

What about disability discrimination, pretty difficult to use an app if you can't see. 

Very true about the app,but you cannot read unless it is in Braille, one would hope they would have thought about that issue.

41 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

There gets a point in time when people will have to make a choice use the new actually not really new technology or go to another cruise line, the transition period is like a piece of string in how long do you wait to implement the changes 

I don't agree.  If you are a business you should be open to anyone, not just because they use a smartphone/laptop.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't agree.  If you are a business you should be open to anyone, not just because they use a smartphone/laptop.

They are open to everyone just some don’t wish to move forward 

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

They are open to everyone just some don’t wish to move forward 

Well if they are open to everyone it shouldn't matter if you don't use the internet or have a smartphone.  I do and I love it, but loads don't

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Just had a funny thought.  P&O should make it part of the booking conditions that you have a smartphone and can use an app!🤣

Why would they you lost me on your logic, the company I work for have invested heavily in new technology, but according to the prevailing logic on here they should not have done so, because some employees are not capable of using the new equipment so they might feel excluded 

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

You are of course absolutely right but the change needs to be gradual, not instant and there needs to be an alternative in the interim for those who cannot - or do not wish to - use the technology. I believe for instance that Princess use this 'medallion' technology but that (certainly pre-Covid) pax can request a standard key-card instead. It looks as though P&O are currently offering alternative ways to book things too but it doesn't sound as though the system is working too well yet...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that P&O do not retain the current system post-Covid as the last thing I want to have to do is book entertainment or main dining (apart from Club/Fixed dining) in advance.

RCI use an app which enables you to book things on line, but they also permit manual operationas well. So I imagine P&O will also still operate a manual system for some time to come, but it will probably become increasingly more advantageous to use the app.

• Like 1