No internet or smartphone.

hollyjess

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

An employee is a totally different matter.  If you have a job, then you have to use the technology.  If you are a customer, you should not have to.

You missed my point the company that stands still is not around that long

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

You missed my point the company that stands still is not around that long

I didn't miss your point at all.  Not saying the company should stand still.  They just need to accommodate people who are not computer literate.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I didn't miss your point at all.  Not saying the company should stand still.  They just need to accommodate people who are not computer literate.

Ok you win the company should run a dual system to cater for those unwilling or unable to grasp new technology 

19 hours ago, Denarius said:

Unlike printers, which companies like P&O assume everyone has but many do not.

I do, because I am a man of a certain age (ok, old). Many of my friends, particularly younger ones, do not. They access the internet by smartphone or tablet. They have fully embraced the digital age and everything exists purely in cyberspace. Pictures and documents are kept in jpeg or pdf format on electonic devices or in the cloud, and transferred between them via wifi. They have no need for a printer because they never print anything out.

That’s true, my 31 year old son often uses our printer!

13 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That’s true, my 31 year old son often uses our printer!

Mine said he doesn't, so why does my flipping ink keep running out. Every time I want to print something off, no ink. Now don't start me off on toilet paper. Why is it always empty. Perhaps it is the app monster nicking everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ann141 said:

Perhaps you could use a Travel Agent.They would be able to print stuff off for you and help you with things that might be necessary online.They often offer a discount as well

I do use a travel agent. But from what I read, P&O seem to want passengers themselves to do so much now that involves apps and printers etc. that it's scaring me and putting me off returning to cruising.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Mine said he doesn't, so why does my flipping ink keep running out. Every time I want to print something off, no ink. Now don't start me off on toilet paper. Why is it always empty. Perhaps it is the app monster nicking everything.

Your lucky my 30 year old son just borrows ours for his university course, actually that’s not correct it just disappears into deepest darkest Wales forcing us to buy another one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

There gets a point in time when people will have to make a choice use the new actually not really new technology or go to another cruise line, the transition period is like a piece of string in how long do you wait to implement the changes 

Well, I'm sure there will be fewer of us luddites sailing with P&O once they have disposed of Aurora and Arcadia...😏

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Well, I'm sure there will be fewer of us luddites sailing with P&O once they have disposed of Aurora and Arcadia...😏

Nothing wrong in being a Luddite I am one when it comes to beer

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Ok you win the company should run a dual system to cater for those unwilling or unable to grasp new technology 

I am happy to use whatever technology I am faced with but I think there has to be an alternative for those who can't use technology for whatever reason. There are many reasons why someone may not be able to use technology, we cannot assume that they are either unwilling or unable to grasp new technology.  There will always be people who have various disabilities ( physical, psychological, or mental ) that prevent them using the new technologies.  When I worked we always had to produce a documented manual work round because the business could not stop if there was a major IT outage so I would expect that P&O have backup systems for anyone who cannot use technology for whatever reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I am happy to use whatever technology I am faced with but I think there has to be an alternative for those who can't use technology for whatever reason. There are many reasons why someone may not be able to use technology, we cannot assume that they are either unwilling or unable to grasp new technology.  There will always be people who have various disabilities ( physical, psychological, or mental ) that prevent them using the new technologies.  When I worked we always had to produce a documented manual work round because the business could not stop if there was a major IT outage so I would expect that P&O have backup systems for anyone who cannot use technology for whatever reason.

What a sensible response Graham xx

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Same in any business but my point was not against those who with physical mental or psychological problems but those who choose not to embrace new technology, strangely P&O are really not doing anything different than other companies, but because there is a certain certain clientele that use P&O any change is always seen as going down the slippery slope and lowering the standards.

8 hours ago, Bazrat said:

They are open to everyone just some don’t wish to move forward 

It’s just not as simple as not wishing to move forward. You fail to understand that it’s simply beyond a lot of people. I don’t like the ‘I’m alright Jack’ sentiment. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Why would they you lost me on your logic, the company I work for have invested heavily in new technology, but according to the prevailing logic on here they should not have done so, because some employees are not capable of using the new equipment so they might feel excluded 

Don’t be daft. And we’re not talking about ‘employees’ but customers. People who spend money and expect a decent product without having to jump through hoops. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

It’s just not as simple as not wishing to move forward. You fail to understand that it’s simply beyond a lot of people. I don’t like the ‘I’m alright Jack’ sentiment. 

For those who cannot or even do not want to use the on line systems, P & O have a back up system in place. So there really is no need for anyone to complain they are being forced into something against their will, or to argue that we all need to accept progress or fall by the wayside. But progress is inevitable.

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

Don’t be daft. And we’re not talking about ‘employees’ but customers. People who spend money and expect a decent product without having to jump through hoops. 

I know I am being provocative,  but why should a company worry too much about a small and diminishing number of customers that cannot use current technology?

It all comes down to profit at the end of the day,  and if P&O,  Princess  etc lose some customers due to the new technology, I am sure that someone has calculated that on a cost benefit analysis,  the loss of those customers is not significant.

I'm not saying that the policy is correct,  but economically it makes sense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

For those who cannot or even do not want to use the on line systems, P & O have a back up system in place. So there really is no need for anyone to complain they are being forced into something against their will, or to argue that we all need to accept progress or fall by the wayside. But progress is inevitable.

I agree, as long as some poor dab without a smartphone doesn’t find himself unable to book any onboard entertainment or speciality dining! 

We could spend all day arguing about ‘progress’!  Strange world with all this technology, yet customers find it almost impossible to access a real, live customer service rep, spending hours waiting for someone to answer their call! And things were deteriorating before Covid. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know I am being provocative,  but why should a company worry too much about a small and diminishing number of customers that cannot use current technology?

It all comes down to profit at the end of the day,  and if P&O,  Princess  etc lose some customers due to the new technology, I am sure that someone has calculated that on a cost benefit analysis,  the loss of those customers is not significant.

I'm not saying that the policy is correct,  but economically it makes sense. 

You’re probably right, I don’t think they care. Thing is, their current technology doesn’t seem up to snuff and makes customers even more annoyed/anxious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Actually I wasn’t as you call being daft and as far as I remember I kept my posts civil

• Like 1