No internet or smartphone.

hollyjess

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Just waiting to disembark Britannia. The topic of conversation that is predominant is the utterly useless and frustrating 'App'.

OK, I will be taking a smart phone on Iona, Maybe apart from booking a restaurant for formal night i might just take pot luck and put the phone in its proper place, the cabin safe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Bet you still get piles of crap delivered to your cabin benefitting Princes and ways to make them money.

Reading the various "live from " threads on the Princess forum, all the crap has now disappeared !

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

OK, I will be taking a smart phone on Iona, Maybe apart from booking a restaurant for formal night i might just take pot luck and put the phone in its proper place, the cabin safe.

When you join the virtual queue, you need to keep the app open and the phone with you at all times, without exception, on fear of the person at the desk at the begining of the actual queue telling you that you are a nincompoop and didn't follow the procedure.If you don't press the button to tell the app you are on your way, off to the buffet with you. If you leave you phone in the cabin, you can join the queue anyway and the nincompoopery lady will give you a pager, you can then sit in the Atrium and listen to the musical entertainment and watch folk jumping around trying to find out if the annoying buzzing sound was their pager, the table next to them, or the hooligan reversing their electric wheelchair over everyone's toes. Technology has caught up with P&O at last🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, terrierjohn said:

I do think that we have passed the point where people can ignore smart phones,  just like we no longer can live without credit or debit cards. 

I can assure you that many of my customers at the office do not have a mobile nor the internet, and neither does my friend who cruises with us.  With our customers everything is paper.  We have stopped taking cheques, so they have to use a debit card, but that's about it.

• Like 1

In my village, I would estimate a quarter of them have no internet nor mobile phone.  Our friends who go on overseas holidays simply use a travel agent and everything is done for them.  One of the advantages of a TA.

My friend uses the sameTA as us and everything is sent to her.  As we don't do excursions nor special restaurants, have no need of the app.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can assure you that many of my customers at the office do not have a mobile nor the internet, and neither does my friend who cruises with us.  With our customers everything is paper.  We have stopped taking cheques, so they have to use a debit card, but that's about it.

Sorry Jean, but I have a vision of Popeye turning up to pay his harbour dues on his iPad🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sorry Jean, but I have a vision of Popeye turning up to pay his harbour dues on his iPad🤣

hA HA.  We email out the invoices each year and they pay on line.  Our system generates all the ones who don't have email and we have to send by snail mail.  They then phone up to pay with a debit/credit card.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Also not long before I retired, my boss walked over to me, showed me a document and asked what a particular word meant.  I said it means try  looking up the Oxford Dictionary....however as it has been mis-spelt I shall do that for you...  They used to bang on about how they got a wonderful degree.  At least by walking over they increased the step count on their Fitbit.

When I was about 63, HR interviewed all the staff to prepare their future journey..... If you could choose to live anywhere, where would it be ?........Woking.....why ?. That's where my wife and son live.....No,I mean if you could have your office location anywhere..........Disney world.......... You aren't taking this seriously are you,?........not really.🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Bet you still get piles of crap delivered to your cabin benefitting Princes and ways to make them money.

Ok you win this is a pointless discussion, p&o should forget about new technology and revert back to the good old days, to be honest I have no idea when those days was

34 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Ok you win this is a pointless discussion, p&o should forget about new technology and revert back to the good old days, to be honest I have no idea when those days was

I don't think it's a case of forgetting about new technology.  I love it, but there are so many without it and it is becoming very difficult for them to cope.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Aha the golden years, when I joined an organisation some forty odd years ago I was told it’s not like it used to be we are lucky we have seen the golden years. Some years later when I transferred to London the same thing was said. It was so prevalent throughout the organisation that a study was said to have been carried out to find out when these golden years were. It was concluded that the golden years finished two years before an individual joined.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think it's a case of forgetting about new technology.  I love it, but there are so many without it and it is becoming very difficult for them to cope.

There are so many who refuse to accept it would be more accurate, but like I said previously p&o should let there competition use all this new technology and they should just stick to the good old ways.

19 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

There are so many who refuse to accept it would be more accurate, but like I said previously p&o should let there competition use all this new technology and they should just stick to the good old ways.

I think many ' older passengers ' are happy to embrace and welcome new technology, when it works. We went to the glass house and told them the glass house virtual queue has just disappeared from the app. Don't worry, if you just sit in Java we will find you a table and come and find you. We had eaten there the previous evening. As we walked through the restaurant the waiter said ' welcome back Mr & Mrs P. Same table as last night ok?. He got a £10 tip.🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think many ' older passengers ' are happy to embrace and welcome new technology, when it works. We went to the glass house and told them the glass house virtual queue has just disappeared from the app. Don't worry, if you just sit in Java we will find you a table and come and find you. We had eaten there the previous evening. As we walked through the restaurant the waiter said ' welcome back Mr & Mrs P. Same table as last night ok?. He got a £10 tip.🤣

Did they ever find those people in the virtual queue or are they lost forever in cyberspace 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If you take my friend.  She is a very fit 86 year old.  Hasn't a clue about the internet, has never used it and when she got a bog standard mobile, she just didn't use it properly and gave up.  She's hardly going to learn now.  My other friend's mother, who was 88 got an Ipad and loved it.  We're all different.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

So the Glass House has finally changed into a restaurant that you have to book? In the golden olden days it was a relaxed casual bar where you could buy tapas etc . Reservations where only needed if you were having one of the pairing meals etc.

Edited by davecttr

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

So the Glass House has finally changed into a restaurant that you have to book? In the golden olden days it was a relaxed casual bar where you could buy tapas etc . Reservations where only needed if you were having one of the pairing meals etc.

The only restaurant that you don't have to join the virtual queue is the beach house, but that is currently closed.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, terrierjohn said:

I do think that we have passed the point where people can ignore smart phones,  just like we no longer can live without credit or debit cards. 

It’s getting to that stage, I would say 100% of our family and friends, many in the 70s and 80s all have smartphones and at least access to a tablet. My FIL uses both, but he does get confused from time to time, he does have a habit of switching the router off and forgetting to switch it on and then wonders why nothing work, but for a soon to be 90 year old to learn to use both is brilliant. We have to keep an eye on their online Morrison’s shop as there have been a few occasions where he has order 12 boxes of eggs rather than a dozen, so my wife always checks it before it is delivered. 

I have made more use of mobile banking in the 18 months than zi thought I would, have managed to lay in all the cheques I have received via the app, plus with android pay on my phone hardly use cash at all now and haven’t visited my bank branch in over 5 years.

I can well understand the problems of the more rural parts of the country having poor or little access to online applications and use of apps, but that will improve as technology moves on. Like credit and debit cards, mobile phones and tablets are here to stay. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

But your customers are yacht owners, are they not, so maybe that's understandable, you see very few mobile masts at sea, and they will have a radio transmitter on board, and maybe a satellite phone.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

If you take my friend.  She is a very fit 86 year old.  Hasn't a clue about the internet, has never used it and when she got a bog standard mobile, she just didn't use it properly and gave up.  She's hardly going to learn now.  My other friend's mother, who was 88 got an Ipad and loved it.  We're all different.

Saying that my mother is also 86 left school to work in a sewing factory making trousers for m&s, when that closed she became an home help, she as a laptop iPad and a smartphone which she uses frequently sending me videos of all the bad things happening in the world.

50 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think it’s due to the Covid procedures, who knows if they’ll change it back again though 😒

• Like 1

My 82 year old mum uses her mobile all the time now - just for calls though, it’s not a smart phone. I visited her the other day and she kept going on about a video call with her GP- I told her she can’t do one with her phone. She went and found a letter from her GP saying how you COULD have a video call if you wanted. I told her she just had to ignore it and that she didn’t need to have a video call. My Dad was muttering ‘that’s what I told her’ bless them!

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

But your customers are yacht owners, are they not, so maybe that's understandable, you see very few mobile masts at sea, and they will have a radio transmitter on board, and maybe a satellite phone.

No our customers are not all yacht owners.  Mostly small boat owners who just piddle about in the harbour and then go home.  Nothing to do with having a radio transmitter on board.  Some customers merely have a car park space with us.    It's not always age either.  One guy is in his late 60s and refuses to have anything to do with the internet or credit cards!