Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

4 hours ago, beaveh said:

I booked on sky princess for an October cruise to the Canary Islands. I’d like to book the main dining room for an early sitting every night How do I do this?

I tried going to the princess medallion app and selected dinining options, but a message said I couldn’t use that function until I have paid in full ( I have ). Am I just tryring  to do this too early or is it a glitch with the  princess app?  

Or, try accessing DMW using the web version of Ocean Ready (Princess App).

• Like 1

For longer cruises (mine is 23 days on the Royal), do you know if Princess offers the Chef’s Table/Chef’s Table Lumiere more than once if there are enough people interested? My understanding is that in recent years (post-Covid), priority for the Chef's Table is offered to those with elite status, suites, etc. – although I’ve also read that is not the case. 🤷‍♀️ I’ve also read that it is best to go to guest services, the maître d/head waiter, or the house phone and dial dining services to get on this list.  As a lowly first-time cruiser, I am wondering if I even have a chance to participate, and how best to get on the list ASAP!

24 minutes ago, BaliThai said:

As a lowly first-time cruiser, I am wondering if I even have a chance to participate, and how best to get on the list ASAP!

Far from being "lowly" a first time cruiser is someone who is getting the chance to experience cruising as a new and amazing experience. My first cruise really changed my life. You only get that "OMG! Wow!!" experience once so enjoy it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BaliThai said:

For longer cruises (mine is 23 days on the Royal), do you know if Princess offers the Chef’s Table/Chef’s Table Lumiere more than once if there are enough people interested? My understanding is that in recent years (post-Covid), priority for the Chef's Table is offered to those with elite status, suites, etc. – although I’ve also read that is not the case. 🤷‍♀️ I’ve also read that it is best to go to guest services, the maître d/head waiter, or the house phone and dial dining services to get on this list.  As a lowly first-time cruiser, I am wondering if I even have a chance to participate, and how best to get on the list ASAP!

Probably 2x on the Royal. As soon as you get to your cabin, call the Dine Line to get on the list.  Also, there is the Wine Makers Dinner that is great.  Sometimes, they will offer that if there’s not room at the CT.  

It seems there is a nice mixture of Elites, Suites and yes new cruisers.  We had some at the Wine Makers Dinner also.

Our 20 night had 2 CT’s.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Probably 2x on the Royal. As soon as you get to your cabin, call the Dine Line to get on the list.  Also, there is the Wine Makers Dinner that is great.  Sometimes, they will offer that if there’s not room at the CT.  

It seems there is a nice mixture of Elites, Suites and yes new cruisers.  We had some at the Wine Makers Dinner also.

Our 20 night had 2 CT’s.  

Speaking of... has anyone reading this seen the new WMD mentioned on board or been to one?  It was suppose to change to a way higher price ($140 - more than CTL) recently, but be pretty much the same thing but with Caymus wines of Napa, CA, region.

5 hours ago, BaliThai said:

Last cruise we did the Winemaker's dinner since we were told they were full for the Chef's table.  We weren't in a suite but we were in a mini suite and we're Elite and we didn't get chosen.
On a 23 day cruise they will probably do the Chef's table 3 times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Speaking of... has anyone reading this seen the new WMD mentioned on board or been to one?  It was suppose to change to a way higher price ($140 - more than CTL) recently, but be pretty much the same thing but with Caymus wines of Napa, CA, region.

We wouldn't do it for $140.  While we love the Caymus Cab, we don't care for any of the others from the same winery.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

We have got cruises booked on Sky and Caribbean.

When I look to book dinner I am only shown 2 out of the 3 dining rooms - why? The ones missing are not the ones that have the reserve tables as far as I know.

And is there anything I can do about it - apart from wait until we are on board.

After the length of time this system has been running why has nobody involved in it ironed out the glitches

I do apologise if this question has been asked before

16 minutes ago, Travelmadoldie said:

When I look to book dinner I am only shown 2 out of the 3 dining rooms - why? The ones missing are not the ones that have the reserve tables as far as I know.

And is there anything I can do about it - apart from wait until we are on board.

After the length of time this system has been running why has nobody involved in it ironed out the glitches

How far out are your cruises?  Maybe they’ll open the other MDRs when they get closer to sold out.  Might not have enough pax booked to fill all.

Related question – I’ve read about the Winemakers Dinner/ Wine Dinner (and people have just mentioned it here) – do they do this on all cruises/ships? How does one sign up for that? Is it a similar process to the Chef’s Table and is it by invitation? 

21 hours ago, Thrak said:

Far from being "lowly" a first time cruiser is someone who is getting the chance to experience cruising as a new and amazing experience. My first cruise really changed my life. You only get that "OMG! Wow!!" experience once so enjoy it.

Thank you! I am very excited for this first-time cruise! And I love good food, so I am trying to figure out the best way to participate in the Chef's Table and/or Wine Makers Dinner . . .

1 minute ago, BaliThai said:

Related question – I’ve read about the Winemakers Dinner/ Wine Dinner (and people have just mentioned it here) – do they do this on all cruises/ships? How does one sign up for that? Is it a similar process to the Chef’s Table and is it by invitation? 

Royal Class ships and you need to call the Dine Line and tell them you want

on the list.  It was not as many courses as the CT, but plenty of food, we enjoyed it even more than the CT.  IDK if the price went up, as some have reported $140 per person, instead of $40.  You will need to ask when you get OB.

Would be nice if someone currently OB could advise us the correct price. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BaliThai said:

Thank you! I am very excited for this first-time cruise! And I love good food, so I am trying to figure out the best way to participate in the Chef's Table and/or Wine Makers Dinner . . .

I would bet you are likely quite a bit younger than I am. When I was young I would always jump at the chance to have the 22 oz. Rib Eye at dinner and could eat, eat, eat, and never gain weight or be "too full". These days I end up ordering an 8 oz. steak and don't finish all the side dishes. I just can't eat all that much and, of course, these days "not gaining weight no matter what I eat" is no longer a reality. 🙃

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Travelmadoldie said:

Hi BamaVol 

May and September next year.

But have just left Sky and at no time were all 3 dining rooms shown on the app that I saw.

It’s not unusual to show 2 out of 3 available for reservations this far out.

I would book one of the offered MDR’s for the time you want and then recheck it periodically, to see if you can change it.

Of course you can wait until you’re OB, but may be a little more difficult getting your time.  Just Depends.  

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

on the list.  It was not as many courses as the CT, but plenty of food, we enjoyed it even more than the CT.  IDK if the price went up, as some have reported $140 per person, instead of $40.  You will need to ask when you get OB.

Thank you! I guess I will try to get on both lists! LOL!

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would bet you are likely quite a bit younger than I am. When I was young I would always jump at the chance to have the 22 oz. Rib Eye at dinner and could eat, eat, eat, and never gain weight or be "too full". These days I end up ordering an 8 oz. steak and don't finish all the side dishes. I just can't eat all that much and, of course, these days "not gaining weight no matter what I eat" is no longer a reality. 🙃

Oh I don't know about the younger bit - but I do understand about the gaining weight part! I'm long past my days of eating all I want without gaining weight, but I've never lost my love of trying new food and new experiences! Both the Chef's Table and the Wine Makers Dinner sound like fun!

Just now, BaliThai said:

Thank you! I guess I will try to get on both lists! LOL!

I just book one and when they open the other MDR, just go in and change each day to the one you want.  You will then cancel the other one.  You will see how to do it.

If it doesn’t open, see the DRO Dir of Restaurant Ops the first night or one of the Hostess’s up front of the MDR.

4 hours ago, Travelmadoldie said:

I believe this is now an unannounced procedure/policy.  PCL is keeping one DR "back" from the App.  I am thinking they are now at least attempting it to be the one that hosts the Reserve section.  That said, it may not be always well understood between each ship and HQ which mid-ship DR is going to be hosting Reserve (it is always one of the mid-ship DR's).  The aft DR should be one of the two offered in DMW.

I believe they are doing this to allow for better accommodating walk-ups who don't book a res.  It also gives the DR Mgmt more flexibility in blocking a set table for those guests requesting it because it is impossible for DMW to do that. 

That 3rd DR (and for Diamond and Sapphire I am treating the split DR's as a single virtual DR on each deck) may be available in the App on board, but don't count on it as they may be directing walk-ups there.  Nevertheless, rest assured that all three DR's will be in use.

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe this is now an unannounced procedure/policy.  PCL is keeping one DR "back" from the App.  I am thinking they are now at least attempting it to be the one that hosts the Reserve section.  That said, it may not be always well understood between each ship and HQ which mid-ship DR is going to be hosting Reserve (it is always one of the mid-ship DR's).  The aft DR should be one of the two offered in DMW.

I believe they are doing this to allow for better accommodating walk-ups who don't book a res.  It also gives the DR Mgmt more flexibility in blocking a set table for those guests requesting it because it is impossible for DMW to do that. 

That 3rd DR (and for Diamond and Sapphire I am treating the split DR's as a single virtual DR on each deck) may be available in the App on board, but don't count on it as they may be directing walk-ups there.  Nevertheless, rest assured that all three DR's will be in use.

That is what I did for our recent cruise. 

And as I said I never saw the 3rd room on the available list and, on Sky, it was Cielo  - the one down on Deck 6 at the back whereas the reserve tables were in the central MDR. When I looked to book for September 24 also on Sky only the Estrella and Soleil were available

7 minutes ago, Travelmadoldie said:

That is what I did for our recent cruise. 

And as I said I never saw the 3rd room on the available list and, on Sky, it was Cielo  - the one down on Deck 6 at the back whereas the reserve tables were in the central MDR. When I looked to book for September 24 also on Sky only the Estrella and Soleil were available

Alright.  There is always an exception to a "rule".  Interesting that they blocked the aft DR for those ships.  Perhaps they want to direct the walk-ups to the aft as more people prefer mid-ship (I know we do).

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Is there any shared dining now there is only my time dining offered?

"My time" is not a Princess term, but you can show up and be seated as a walk-up, or you can make a res with 20 minute intervals offered (subject to space available).  When booking in DWM, you can elect a Private table for your party for Sharing table.  If you are a walk-up (which is what you may have been referring to), you can also ask for Sharing or Private.  Even if you don't ask, they are going to ask you, because they want to fill Shared tables if possible.

Note that unless a group gets together and coordinates a specific arrangement, if you do Shared dining on Princess now, it won't be with the same group of guests each night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

The one that went up to $140 is the Caymus Winemaker's Dinner.  Don't know if they are still doing the other cheaper one.

• Like 1