Flights by Celebrity....What's the point??

gjohns24

I booked for the first time using Flights by Celebrity.  Here's why.

1. The price was lower.  Not by a lot, but somewhat.

2. If I booked directly with Air Canada, the flight was non-refundable.  With Flights by Celebrity, it's refundable until final payment.  At that point, the $200/ticket penalty kicks in.

3. This is not a big deal, but no cash payment until final payment booking through Celebrity.  Immediate payment upfront if booking through the airline.

4. I believe if Celebrity cancels the cruise after payment, I'd get my money back (no $200/ticket penalty) through Flights by Celebrity.  If I book directly, there's no refund at this fare's price point regardless of whether or not the cruise is cancelled.

5. If there's a problem with the flight, they will likely still get me there and likely at their expense as long as the problem isn't of my own doing (showed up late, forgot passport, etc).  Some have suggested that this is worthless.  I disagree.

My experience has been flights by celebrity has been significantly cheaper than what ive found on Kayak and the airlines.  Particularly first and business class.

They had a $100 off special at one point a few months ago as well which made it super cheap.  

I don't expect to change anything, so i guess the change fee is not relevant in my case.

If X cancels my holiday cruise, then just like last year, ill get it all back at some point.

Fighting with the airline to get it back has been problematic in the past.  That was however pre-covid.

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

4. I believe if Celebrity cancels the cruise after payment, I'd get my money back (no $200/ticket penalty) through Flights by Celebrity.  If I book directly, there's no refund at this fare's price point regardless of whether or not the cruise is cancelled.

When our Spain cruise was canceled after final payment, we got the whole amount ($6600)  back in a week to our CC with NO $200 fee deduction. This was in June so it is very recent.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, terrydtx said:

When our Spain cruise was canceled after final payment, we got the whole amount back in a week to our CC with NO $200 fee deduction. This was in June so it is very recent.

Same for me for two cancelled 2020 cruises, fully refunded CA and very quickly, maybe just several weeks.  I find CA to be super convenient.

I called CA yesterday to book direct non-stop flights from JFK to Barcelona and return home would be Rome to JFK - which Delta had on their site business class @ $3,475 pp round trip.

Based on the glowing recommendations of CA I was hoping to match the online prices or get a price a bit lower and have the comfort of CA coverage for changed or cancelled cruises.  

CA quote Delta flight $7,000+ pp with TWO connections for each leg. Zero direct flights available according to CA. 

Sorry but $14,000+ for air fare and it wasn’t even nonstop - is a bit above my budget. According to CA Comfort + wasn’t an option. 

It was disappointing.

4 minutes ago, bye-seaya said:

I called CA yesterday to book direct non-stop flights from JFK to Barcelona and return home would be Rome to JFK - which Delta had on their site business class @ $3,475 pp round trip.

Based on the glowing recommendations of CA I was hoping to match the online prices or get a price a bit lower and have the comfort of CA coverage for changed or cancelled cruises.  

CA quote Delta flight $7,000+ pp with TWO connections for each leg. Zero direct flights available according to CA. 

Sorry but $14,000+ for air fare and it wasn’t even nonstop - is a bit above my budget. According to CA Comfort + wasn’t an option. 

It was disappointing.

Those are ridiculous fares!  For May 2022, I have CA, Boston to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Boston, business class, direct flights, $2100/pp

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Those are ridiculous fares!  For May 2022, I have CA, Boston to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Boston, business class, direct flights, $2100/pp

That’s more reasonable! What airline are you guys on? The pricing given was for our June 2022 sailing. 

Can i ask, are you sailing on the British Isles cruise in May? I’ve been thinking about changing our cruise on the Edge in June because of the insane airfare. 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, terrydtx said:

British Airways is the worse, you can not choose seats prior to 24 hours before flights even in Business class unless you go online and pay an advance seat selection fee of $156, even CA can not book seats with BA. 

Thanks very much for this information! We fly from IAD, which is a United hub. Last week,  I tried to book CA for a TA next spring, but they had zero UA flights to offer me for the return flight. I had called regarding the two UA direct flights I wanted, but the best return flight from FCO they could offer me was BA connecting through LHR. I opted to do nothing until I could research the various airlines. There’s absolutely no way I’ll book business or first without being able to reserve seats that day. I want to be seated next to my DH, and that’s even more essential these days. I’m hoping UA will give CA some seats because American is flaky and Delta means at least one connection. I have never been able to get reasonable fares for a TA without using CA, so I’m in a bind.

Edited by Silkroad

3 hours ago, bye-seaya said:

That’s more reasonable! What airline are you guys on? The pricing given was for our June 2022 sailing. 

Can i ask, are you sailing on the British Isles cruise in May? I’ve been thinking about changing our cruise on the Edge in June because of the insane airfare. 

Delta Air, cruise is 12 day Scandinavia & Russia 

Same as others really. A couple of years ago our cruise was delayed returning by bad weather. Celebrity organised and paid for a hotel overnight, rebooked flights and as our car was at Gatwick and the flight they got us on was Heathrow they organise a car to take us to Gatwick. Also our recent cruise had a date change and they rebooked flights etc.  Having had this experience I would not like to be stranded and have to organise our own flights in a foreign country.  

• Thanks 1

I find that Choice Air is tough to beat on one way, international fares, especially for Business or First. So it's great when doing a transatlantic. Domestic fares are the same as you can find on the carrier's site.

8 minutes ago, sasset said:

Domestic fares are the same as you can find on the carrier's site.

The other thing is they only cover the big three, jetblue, (if you can tolerate) spirit or frontier will usually be cheaper.  I rarely find southwest flights cheaper but always check them just in case, if you're taking a longer cruise where you need to check two bags perhaps southwest would be cheaper.

1 hour ago, sasset said:

I find that Choice Air is tough to beat on one way, international fares, especially for Business or First. So it's great when doing a transatlantic. Domestic fares are the same as you can find on the carrier's site.

Very much agree here.  Almost any cruise I take embarks/disembarks in a foreign port, so CA really works well for me.  I am on a Beyond TA in Nov 2022 which departs from Barcelona and arrives in NJ, CA on outbound flight and domestic from NJ.  I really have felt for me, CA has always been a win-win.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The other thing is they only cover the big three, jetblue, (if you can tolerate) spirit or frontier will usually be cheaper.  I rarely find southwest flights cheaper but always check them just in case, if you're taking a longer cruise where you need to check two bags perhaps southwest would be cheaper.

I agree on Jet Blue. We were leaving from FLL on a transatlantic We were on American (booked directly with AA), from California and weather knocked out about every flight going through Dallas and Chicago. Booked sameday on Jet Blue Mint (which is great) non stop LAX to FLL for better than anything Choice Air could do for us.

10 minutes ago, sasset said:

I agree on Jet Blue. We were leaving from FLL on a transatlantic We were on American (booked directly with AA), from California and weather knocked out about every flight going through Dallas and Chicago. Booked sameday on Jet Blue Mint (which is great) non stop LAX to FLL for better than anything Choice Air could do for us.

Off cruise topic, but super glad to hear this about Mint.  I fly from Boston to San Diego for Thanksgiving week in Nov, splurged and bought a Mint ticket.  Have flown JB many any times but will be first time in a Mint seat.

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They also work with "other " carriers such as Alitalia, TAP, ect which works well for a one way ticket. It pays to check often! we needed tickets, Boston to Rome for a TA, and prices were very high...a few weeks later scored extra comfort seats on Alitalia for $350 each, which a week earlier were about $1500.(pre covid)

As much as I like CA, you really need to shop around. Our last cruise Hawaii to Vancouver: Hawaii Air was the cheapest by far for a non stop Boston to Hawaii.

Unfortunately nowadays choices are limited with few deals to be had, but happy to once again be cruising!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, highway180 said:

They also work with "other " carriers such as Alitalia, TAP, ect which works well for a one way ticket. It pays to check often! we needed tickets, Boston to Rome for a TA, and prices were very high...a few weeks later scored extra comfort seats on Alitalia for $350 each, which a week earlier were about $1500.(pre covid)

As much as I like CA, you really need to shop around. Our last cruise Hawaii to Vancouver: Hawaii Air was the cheapest by far for a non stop Boston to Hawaii.

Unfortunately nowadays choices are limited with few deals to be had, but happy to once again be cruising!

Yup!  I quoted the other persons "domestic" portion.  International (or as stated, hawaii) are different.  Last week H.A./United/Alaska were having a three day flash sale from the west coast to/from hawaii, $99 basic fares each way and $129 main cabin Mon-Thurs or $30 more for the weekend days.