For those who have participated in a bid-for-upgrade involving YC (successfully or not) how was your timeline and outcome?

no1talks

We've decided to go back to the drawing board.

Instead of the YC Deluxe on Divina, from the Voyagers Selections discounts, we are going to instruct our TA to get us YC Inside on Mera or Seashore, using the discounted choices on Voyagers Selection. We'll try for a bump up in bidding. Divina, it seems, has no Inside rooms in YC.

How long after final payment or how soon before sailing do bid e-mails go to passengers?

For the bidding process, is there any difference between initial bookings made with a TA and those made by the passengers themselves?

Have you found any differences if you were upgrading from a Voyagers Selections discounted rate, versus initial bookings not from the Voyagers list?

Success on a low bid? Failure on a high bid? How did it go for you?

(I've already checked the Privacy boxes for "I'm happy to share details with third parties," and "Register me for special offers and news from MSC Cruises." It is my understanding that unchecked boxes means no bidding e-mail.)

Thank you all very much for your insights.

30 minutes ago, no1talks said:

(I've already checked the Privacy boxes for "I'm happy to share details with third parties," and "Register me for special offers and news from MSC Cruises." It is my understanding that unchecked boxes means no bidding e-mail.)

I only checked the “Register me for special offers…” box and I did not check the “I’m happy to share details with third parties” box. I still received the email offer to bid for an upgrade.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, orangemini said:

I only checked the “Register me for special offers…” box and I did not check the “I’m happy to share details with third parties” box. I still received the email offer to bid for an upgrade.

Thanks for that tip! Since the bidding is implemented via Plusgrade, I was unsure if third-party dynamics applied.

I received the upgrade email exactly one week prior to our sailing 8/13, so 8/6 (which was a Friday). Bid the minimum (“poor”) the same day. Bid accepted on Monday 8/9.

Fantastica Balcony —> YC Deluxe Suite

To be fair, I only booked the cruise about 2-2.5 weeks in advance. However, they obviously bolus the upgrade emails. My friend is sailing the same itinerary 9/3, and she got the upgrade email the same time I did. She has not yet heard back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zackarykeef said:

I received the upgrade email exactly one week prior to our sailing 8/13, so 8/6 (which was a Friday). Bid the minimum (“poor”) the same day. Bid accepted on Monday 8/9.

Fantastica Balcony —> YC Deluxe Suite

Can I ask what the minimum was?

Steve

1 minute ago, alyssamma said:

Insane deal...I'm jealous...

It really was, especially with the original 50% discount for healthcare workers. I was looking at booking more NCL cruises for fall and winter, but with this healthcare worker promotion currently from MSC, it’s too hard to pass up. Definitely going to book the Seashore…it’s insanely beautiful.

• Like 2

My daughter did the "free balcony" upgrade in Fantastica for the 8/20 Meraviglia. Got the upgrade offer today and bid the minimum - $360pp - for YC Deluxe. She got accepted less than 2hrs later. So $1300 all in for 2 people in the YC Deluxe cabin.

There are close to 50 YC cabins open on this sailing.

The only problem is I actually *paid* for a YIN, so now she's paid less than me and has a better cabin 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Didn't you get the chance to bid?

Steve

Well, like I said, I paid upfront for a YIN. I'm going solo, so while I did get the chance to bid, the bidding process counts double. So I would have paid about $550 for a deluxe. For a 3 day cruise, I'm fine with YIN...my first time in the YC I did that so I know what to expect.

But this is my daughter's first time in YC so I'm happy (and mad 🙂 ) that she got a better cabin than me. I'm going in April with my other daughter on the Seashore in YC so glad this one got to experience YC too.

15 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

Well, like I said, I paid upfront for a YIN. I'm going solo, so while I did get the chance to bid, the bidding process counts double. So I would have paid about $550 for a deluxe. For a 3 day cruise, I'm fine with YIN...my first time in the YC I did that so I know what to expect.

But this is my daughter's first time in YC so I'm happy (and mad 🙂 ) that she got a better cabin than me. I'm going in April with my other daughter on the Seashore in YC so glad this one got to experience YC too.

Did your daughter get the chance to bid for YC interior too?

Steve

7 minutes ago, Margaretealexander said:

My new documents say I’ve been upgraded to a balcony YC but I still have fantastica experience. What?!!!

The docs will say that, but rest assured you will get YC benefits.

The T&C state you keep your experience...*except* for YC. If you upgrade to YC you get the YC experience.

Whatever software they use to print the boarding docs can't handle that distinction.

Go to the white tent for your check in and have a great time!

17 minutes ago, Margaretealexander said:

My new documents say I’ve been upgraded to a balcony YC but I still have fantastica experience. What?!!!

You have full YC experience, without a shadow of a doubt, trust me! 😉

Wow.  I wish that I had the opportunity.  I booked 2 adjoining fantastica Balcony cabins for DH and myself due to the no single supplement promo, but now if we want to bid to upgrade we have to bid for DOUBLE occupancy, but only one person can upgrade.  Lesson learned.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

The docs will say that, but rest assured you will get YC benefits.

The T&C state you keep your experience...*except* for YC. If you upgrade to YC you get the YC experience.

Whatever software they use to print the boarding docs can't handle that distinction.

Go to the white tent for your check in and have a great time!

Does my check in time change?