Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Wow, a cash tipping thread here on CC has turned into a pre vs post service tipping debate.

The world is truly returning to normal!😉

And isn't normal wonderful?🙄

And it’s so nice to have at least one subject we can all agree on.

• Haha 1

Interesting in a sense I think from just perusing these posts, many of the people also need the thought of how they tip to make themselves feel good overall, the argument pre tipping and tipping along the way to the people who do it at the end of the cruise. I’ll be honest the pre tipping is not a huge motivator for the many staff I use to manage, I ran  hotel n bars for 25 or so years, yes for some I’ll say it does, very small percentage  In general tipping like some have said is personal in nature and I can care less what others do. If anything I steer clear of people who are very boisterous, not the right word, of how much they tipped someone, that is a more look at me attitude which I find funny overall.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Wow, a cash tipping thread here on CC has turned into a pre vs post service tipping debate.

The world is truly returning to normal!😉

And isn't normal wonderful?🙄

When I started this thread, i thought Id maybe get some sense of present Celebrity cash tipping practice or experiences from recent guest, and the thread would retreat to the background.  Had no idea the thread would take off in so many directions. but for the most part its been friendly and fun to read. Still can't get the image of the fruit cake out of my mind. Anyway, hope everybody stays healthy and happy. 

33 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Interesting in a sense I think from just perusing these posts, many of the people also need the thought of how they tip to make themselves feel good overall, the argument pre tipping and tipping along the way to the people who do it at the end of the cruise. I’ll be honest the pre tipping is not a huge motivator for the many staff I use to manage, I ran  hotel n bars for 25 or so years, yes for some I’ll say it does, very small percentage  In general tipping like some have said is personal in nature and I can care less what others do. If anything I steer clear of people who are very boisterous, not the right word, of how much they tipped someone, that is a more look at me attitude which I find funny overall.  

So what was a huge motivator for your staff?

29 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

No one on this thread even knows me, and most likely never will.  I won’t be running around on board with a “I pre-tip” sign.  I will say definitively, in my personal experience, the crew on board have always appreciated my approach.  I don’t run around the ship announcing what I do.  Seems to me you are looking to compare apples to oranges, as well as looking for a problem that does not exist. Do not do what I do to make me feel good, I do it because I want to, never boisterous, always between me and the crew.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

No one on this thread even knows me, and most likely never will.

I don’t run around the ship announcing what I do.

Do not do what I do to make me feel good, I do it because I want to, never boisterous, always between me and the crew.  

Perfect--- I'm Exactly the same .

I don't even take part in that friggin ,dumb , Silent Disco, the Newlywed Game or the How to look 16 yrs younger in 90 minutes " promise " ( ?? ) .

( OK, Ok so you like it----- Enjoy--- )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

No one on this thread even knows me, and most likely never will.  I won’t be running around on board with a “I pre-tip” sign.  I will say definitively, in my personal experience, the crew on board have always appreciated my approach.  I don’t run around the ship announcing what I do.  Seems to me you are looking to compare apples to oranges, as well as looking for a problem that does not exist. Do not do what I do to make me feel good, I do it because I want to, never boisterous, always between me and the crew.  

As Shakespeare would say, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Perfect--- I'm Exactly the same .

I don't even take part in that friggin ,dumb , Silent Disco, the Newlywed Game or the How to look 16 yrs younger in 90 minutes " promise " ( ?? ) .

( OK, Ok so you like it----- Enjoy--- )

If I saw you doing the Silent Disco, I would probably give you a cash tip because it would probably be hilarious.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Were these establishments in the United States or elsewhere, this can make a difference....

cheers and bon voyage

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

l - I may not know you, yet, but I do know at least one (1) type of red wine we both can share a meal over and get to know each other, for sure...  😎

This, would be a honour for sure.... at least for me.  😉

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

On 8/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, m8zenblue said:

Just a note.

We always give our cabin attendant, waiters, sommelier and all bartenders tips at the end of our trip.

I was told they keep all cash tips given to them.

Go Blue....

Staff are required to pool any cash tips.  If they get caught personally pocketing it they are subject to discipline, including firing.  

However, some employees will keep it if it is handled very discretely.

I personally always give my steward cash at the beginning and end of each trip. (in addition to the pre-paid tips thing).

39 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Staff are required to pool any cash tips.  If they get caught personally pocketing it they are subject to discipline, including firing.  

However, some employees will keep it if it is handled very discretely.

I personally always give my steward cash at the beginning and end of each trip. (in addition to the pre-paid tips thing).

I'm not sure pooling is the case in all instances.  If you leave on the auto grats and give extra to waiter/assistant/stateroom attendant, those tips are not pooled.  With regard to bars, I think pooling is on a case-by-case basis.  

I think the only fair way to do it is leave on the auto grats and tip individuals as you wish.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

#If# tips were pooled I would be less motivated to give extra.  I would leave whatever automated tips there are on my account but that's it.

Why? That’s how they’re handled at most better restaurants in the US. If more than one person waits on you, tips are almost always pooled. 

I'm ok with pooled tips.  My logic is ... if my 'martini bar host' - the wait staff that comes to my table and gets the particular drink we ask for all week is doing  great job, and entertaining us along the way, he/she likely is working with other staff/bartenders to make it happen.   They all work together so sharing tips is likely the right thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

#If# tips were pooled I would be less motivated to give extra.  I would leave whatever automated tips there are on my account but that's it.

So, what the hell do you keep a spreadsheet for ??

I'm not so sure I would like to serve you--- but, I'll have dinner with you any time and meet the " Real " you.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Why? That’s how they’re handled at most better restaurants in the US. If more than one person waits on you, tips are almost always pooled. 

I would prefer to give tips to people who earn it.  Yes I think salaries are low but then we should have minimum wage laws.  Should I give the pool $100 because they are sharing instead of the $20 I was going to give the waiter? 

5 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

So, what the hell do you keep a spreadsheet for ??

I'm not so sure I would like to serve you--- but, I'll have dinner with you any time and meet the " Real " you.

I said I wouldn't give extra.  I never said I wouldn't tip.

But we're talking cash again.  I *think* it was confirmed that any given using the X 'paper card' method did go directly to the person named.  If one needed an assurance as to where the tip was really going, that would *seem* to be the right solution.  And since X is involved in the process this way, they should be required to provide a definitive answer on named distributions, or perhaps have done so already somewhere.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I would prefer to give tips to people who earn it.  Yes I think salaries are low but then we should have minimum wage laws.  Should I give the pool $100 because they are sharing instead of the $20 I was going to give the waiter? 

Do you think that on land? Employers can require pooling by law in the US. The waiter or bartender probably gets the biggest share, but it’s shared with the rest of the front of house staff. If you tip $20 and there’s a pool, the person you’re tipping is still likely getting the bulk of it. And the fact they’re working there means they accepted the financial arrangement. 

And, if they want clean glasses and tables turned, they’re sharing with the people busing the tables and bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I said I wouldn't give extra.  I never said I wouldn't tip.

Understood--- But, if you are only contributing to the Auto Gratuities, you don't need a spreadsheet.

Personally, I prefer to tip who I want and let the Cruise Line pay higher wages to non-frontline employees. Example--- We are non drinkers, but, part of my Auto Gratuities are added to their pool.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Understood--- But, if you are only contributing to the Auto Gratuities, you don't need a spreadsheet.

Personally, I prefer to tip who I want and let the Cruise Line pay higher wages to non-frontline employees. Example--- We are non drinkers, but, part of my Auto Gratuities are added to their pool.

The gratuities from bar tabs, alcohol or otherwise, are separate from the per day auto gratuities. And presumably a separate tip pool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1