Enhanced driver's license enough now?

Yes, that is correct.  I know several people who don't yet have a passport and they just use their "star" drivers license.  As for myself, I always carry my passport just in case the unthinkable happens and I need to catch a flight back for some reason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Yes, that is correct.  I know several people who don't yet have a passport and they just use their "star" drivers license.  As for myself, I always carry my passport just in case the unthinkable happens and I need to catch a flight back for some reason.

"Star" DLs are not necessarily EDLs.  Florida issues Read ID DLs, with stars.  They are not EDLs.

It looks like Michigan uses Stars on their EDLs (at least sometimes) (and Real ID DLs).  Needs to have the phrase "Enhanced Drivers License"

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
Clarify Stars =/= EDL

5 minutes ago, groundloop said:

4 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

As long as it is truly an EDL, and not a Read ID DL.  There is a difference, and not all that many states issue true EDLs:

Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington.

So groundloop lists his home state as Alabama (not on your list) and says he uses his star license.. thoughts?

5 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

So groundloop lists his home state as Alabama (not on your list) and says he uses his star license.. thoughts?

The "star" or RealID license is approved for domestic flights, but not for cruises.  Only EDL's (US flag) are acceptable for cruises.  Only the 4 states listed issue EDL's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

You can use Real ID DLs for flying domestically, or to enter Gov't buildings, etc.

You cannot use them to travel across the Canada/Mexico borders or for Caribbean cruising or the other travel that EDLs allow.

5 States issue EDLs......and they have the US Flag on the front in various locations.

A US Passport is preferred; however, a State issued Birth Certificate is an alternative for closed loop cruises.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Glad I have a passport card, too.

Then you know it is not good for international air travel, only border crossings for US, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

If the unthinkable happens, it would be a bit more complicated to get home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

No, I said I know several people who use their drivers license with the star ID (they happen to be from Michigan), I always carry my passport.  Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough.

Best bet is to dig up what Carnival says about it on their website.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/travel-documentation-and-online-check-in/~/travel-documents/c/406/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjI4ODc3MzI4L3NpZC9mVWZCUFpua2F2ZThoeXVrSXpvdGNlcHVwQ3hTRFFKakFBTlpNWkE4MWxibXZQaE9IVlRlc0pRWjhudHRVblFpTzVDeVRpYVhKMl9vQTREUmVOQUNuWms2ckR0Ullkd2I0UkFEMlU3alk2V3pLSktRejdBRGJOTkElMjElMjE%3D

Edited by groundloop

48 minutes ago, groundloop said:

No, I said I know several people who use their drivers license with the star ID (they happen to be from Michigan), I always carry my passport.  Maybe I didn't word it clearly enough.

Best bet is to dig up what Carnival says about it on their website.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/travel-documentation-and-online-check-in/~/travel-documents/c/406/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjI4ODc3MzI4L3NpZC9mVWZCUFpua2F2ZThoeXVrSXpvdGNlcHVwQ3hTRFFKakFBTlpNWkE4MWxibXZQaE9IVlRlc0pRWjhudHRVblFpTzVDeVRpYVhKMl9vQTREUmVOQUNuWms2ckR0Ullkd2I0UkFEMlU3alk2V3pLSktRejdBRGJOTkElMjElMjE%3D

And, those people using a "star" (RealID) will either be carrying their birth certificates, or not getting on the cruise.  As noted in the Carnival FAQ you linked, you must have an "WHTI compliant form of ID", and a RealID is not WHTI compliant, as the link clearly shows.  For a cruise, a RealID license is no different than the old style licenses.  Only those with a flag on them are acceptable without a birth certificate, since the birth certificate is needed to receive an EDL.  Upon a second reading, I see that the people you were referring to are from Michigan, and they almost certainly have the EDL with the flag.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Michigan offers EDLs for an additional fee. 

Not all Michiganders have EDLs.

David

This is true.  DW and I went to get our Driver's licenses renewed.  We were going to get the EDL and took our passports as additional ID which was required.  The DMV person told us not to waste our money getting the EDL as we already had passports.  The additional fee was $45 above what the renewal fee was.  We just have the star on our licenses.  As a side note, we always  have just used our passports when ever we flew anyway.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2021 at 6:22 AM, RWolver672 said:

This is true.  DW and I went to get our Driver's licenses renewed.  We were going to get the EDL and took our passports as additional ID which was required.  The DMV person told us not to waste our money getting the EDL as we already had passports.  The additional fee was $45 above what the renewal fee was.  We just have the star on our licenses.  As a side note, we always  have just used our passports when ever we flew anyway.  

They tried to talk my wife out of the EDL as well, and just straight up didn't honor my request for one without telling me. I had explicitly requested it in my appointment pre-fill paperwork, and was really angry when the license came without the flag. (And they charged me full price to fix it, rather than juts the delta. 😠

Edited by WoodyWindy

30 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@WoodyWindy, does your new driver's license have the words Enhanced Driver's License at the top?

Yes. As I said, I did get it replaced with the correct license - I just got messed up because the first clerk didn't think I really needed it. My current license has the words "Enhanced Driver License", the RFID chip, and the flag logo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@WoodyWindy- happy to hear that it all worked out for you.  

I think it's bizarre that your local DMV tries to talk you/your spouse out of getting it, saying it's not needed.  Strange, and unprofessional.

Glad it all worked out.

Agreed. Again, they didn't even ask me, they just disregarded my pre-stated request. At least my wife was asked and given the opportunity to force the issue.