Positive test reported on Equinox

Jazzbo

Captain Demetree (sp?) just announced that a passenger had gone to the medical facility today with cold-like symptoms and tested positive for Covid-19. Contact tracing has been done and tests are being expedited for close contacts.

• Thanks 2

Captain Dimitrios Manetas has been keeping us well informed. Considering this cruise really feels no different than cruising before the pandemic, I think Celebrity is doing a fantastic job. I’ve spoken with several crew who have said they were well cared for by Celebrity. I’m hoping they continue to lead the pack in terms of cruising in this “new normal”. Hopefully everything on Equinox is contained and it will continue to sail successfully after we return to Port Everglades!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree with FoxTa8, and I feel comfortable on the ship. I can’t remember if the Captain said the passenger was vaccinated, but for some reason I’m thinking they were. Passenger (and I assume any passenger(s) in his/her cabin) is quarantined. From what I have read about other Celebrity sailings, I assume that close contacts are quarantined in their cabins until test results are available.  I think the crew member who tested positive left the ship in St. Thomas. This passenger will not disembark until Sunday in Port Everglades, because we have no additional port days. Ship clearance by the authorities has been delayed in at least 2 ports (St. Thomas and Sint Maarten — we stayed on the ship in Nassau, so didn’t pay attention), due to additional Covid protocols, we were told.

Edited by Jazzbo
Missing words
  • Thanks 1

We had one positive test on the Aug 1 Equinox Cruise...I wonder if it was for a back to back or for someone to fly home to another country...other than that, no issues..cruise was great..all close contacts were cleared pretty quickly...I do think that was Tasos last cruise with Celebrity for a while...or at least it sounded that way...

• Thanks 1

The topic of this thread is "Equinox Captain reports positive test."

We have to admit that one of us did a "double-take" on seeing that title, because he mistakenly took it to mean that the Captain himself had tested positive!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

I thought Demitrus was on the  Apex & his brother Tasos was on the Equinox.   Did they indicate whether passenger was vaccinated?

There are 2 Captain Dimitrioses (Dimitrioi?).  One is Kafeztis, who has brother Captain Tasos (they're the funny ones).  The other is Captain Dimitrios Manetas.  He's a very nice guy and an excellent sailor, but he's very business like.  Sailed with both them in my Celebrity history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EMBFlyer said:

There are 2 Captain Dimitrioses (Dimitrioi?).  One is Kafeztis, who has brother Captain Tasos (they're the funny ones).  The other is Captain Dimitrios Manetas.  He's a very nice guy and an excellent sailor, but he's very business like.  Sailed with both them in my Celebrity history.

I forget  the other Dimitrios,  maybe because I have never sailed with him.

15 minutes ago, jg51 said:

We have to admit that one of us did a "double-take" on seeing that title, because he mistakenly took it to mean that the Captain himself had tested positive!

I’m so sorry! I had no idea it would be taken that way — I felt reassured by the Captain’s announcement. Moderators — can one of you change the thread name to “Positive test reported on Equinox” ??

15 minutes ago, jg51 said:

I’ve just been curious for weeks, who are “we”, something you often refer to?

Too bad there is anyone sick with Covid on the current Equinox sailing.  Jazzbo, enjoy the rest of our cruise and hopefully this is an isolated situation.

• Haha 1

• Host Anne changed the title to Positive test reported on Equinox