Italy: all things food and wine-related

cruisemom42

9 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Everyone on this thread is so well traveled and knowledgeable about food and wine. All I know is how to eat and drink what is put in front of me, lol. So I’d appreciate any and all recommendations for lunch and dinner options in around the port area since we are coming in the day before the cruise. Naples is our first port but I think we are taking an excursion that stops either in Sorrento or Positino. Any suggestions for lunch at either of those towns? I love all Italian food. Living in NY I thought I had access to good pizza, that is until I went to Italy years ago and had the real thing 

It's no small thing to appreciate good food when you've got the chance. 😉

If you have a chance to eat at one of the authentic pizzerias in Naples, you won't regret it. The true neapolitan pizza tends to be on the wet side -- I've sat in pizzerias and watched the local crowd eat from the center using fork and knife and then pick up the crust with the remaining few bites. The local, fresh top-notch ingredients give the pizza so much flavor!

In Rome the wood-fired pizzas tend to have a thinner and crispier crust. 

In Sorrento, f you like gnocchi, look for the gnocchi Sorrentina -- it has a light, fresh tomato sauce.

The problem of sitting down to a nice lunch on a day tour is that there is not such as thing as a "quick lunch" -- Italians take their time dining, especially in a sit-down restaurant. That means you'll have less time to sightsee. Priorities, priorities....

Where is the "port" that you'll be in prior to departure?  Rome?  Naples? 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's no small thing to appreciate good food when you've got the chance. 😉

If you have a chance to eat at one of the authentic pizzerias in Naples, you won't regret it. The true neapolitan pizza tends to be on the wet side -- I've sat in pizzerias and watched the local crowd eat from the center using fork and knife and then pick up the crust with the remaining few bites. The local, fresh top-notch ingredients give the pizza so much flavor!

In Rome the wood-fired pizzas tend to have a thinner and crispier crust. 

In Sorrento, f you like gnocchi, look for the gnocchi Sorrentina -- it has a light, fresh tomato sauce.

The problem of sitting down to a nice lunch on a day tour is that there is not such as thing as a "quick lunch" -- Italians take their time dining, especially in a sit-down restaurant. That means you'll have less time to sightsee. Priorities, priorities....

Where is the "port" that you'll be in prior to departure?  Rome?  Naples? 

I LOVE gnocchi! Thanks for the recommendation. We will be on the wonder of the seas. We board the ship in citavecchia and will arrive there the day before so any recommendations for dinner would be much appreciated. our first port is Naples. I’m hoping to find a tour that goes to the amalfi coast and Pompeii. If we could squeeze Sorento in that would be a bonus. 

2 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I LOVE gnocchi! Thanks for the recommendation. We will be on the wonder of the seas. We board the ship in citavecchia and will arrive there the day before so any recommendations for dinner would be much appreciated. our first port is Naples. I’m hoping to find a tour that goes to the amalfi coast and Pompeii. If we could squeeze Sorento in that would be a bonus. 

If you are going to be in Rome on a Thursday, you can be in gnocchi heaven.  It is traditional to have gnocchi on Thursdays.  

If not there on a Thursday, I would recommend da Cesare al Cassaleto.  Easy to get to on the #8 tram - the end of the line.  A good place to go with at least one other person so you can sample all the goodies.  They have a gnocchi in gorgonzola for an appetizer that is to DIE for.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

If you are going to be in Rome on a Thursday, you can be in gnocchi heaven.  It is traditional to have gnocchi on Thursdays.  

If not there on a Thursday, I would recommend da Cesare al Cassaleto.  Easy to get to on the #8 tram - the end of the line.  A good place to go with at least one other person so you can sample all the goodies.  They have a gnocchi in gorgonzola for an appetizer that is to DIE for.  

Ooh, love Gorgonzola!    I am now thinking I need to head to Piedmont for risotto.   Wow, Stanley Tucci is such an influence, we booked direct flights to Italy yesterday.  For truffle season, again!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Wow, Stanley Tucci is such an influence, we booked direct flights to Italy yesterday.  For truffle season, again!  

His segment where he went out with the truffle hunter and his dog reminded me of this recent documentary -- I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's very Italian in nature -- a bit eccentric and off-the-wall but entertaining and a real slice-of-life.

Watch Truffle Hunters, The | Prime Video (amazon.com)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Ooh, love Gorgonzola!    I am now thinking I need to head to Piedmont for risotto.   Wow, Stanley Tucci is such an influence, we booked direct flights to Italy yesterday.  For truffle season, again!  

I love risotto!  I had my first Risotto Milanese at a place we stayed at the night before our flight home (Villa Malpensa)  That and a nice glass of Brunello and I was in heaven.  When I cook for a girls' weekend, I will always make risotto - ok for my friend with celiac.  I  like that it is so versatile - you can add in just about anything.  

Good on you for booking that flight!!!  I'm not a truffle fan.  I'll eat it if it's on my food, but it's just a little bit too earthy for me.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

His segment where he went out with the truffle hunter and his dog reminded me of this recent documentary -- I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's very Italian in nature -- a bit eccentric and off-the-wall but entertaining and a real slice-of-life.

Watch Truffle Hunters, The | Prime Video (amazon.com)

Thanks! I’ll check it out! 

7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I love risotto!  I had my first Risotto Milanese at a place we stayed at the night before our flight home (Villa Malpensa)  That and a nice glass of Brunello and I was in heaven.  When I cook for a girls' weekend, I will always make risotto - ok for my friend with celiac.  I  like that it is so versatile - you can add in just about anything.  

Good on you for booking that flight!!!  I'm not a truffle fan.  I'll eat it if it's on my food, but it's just a little bit too earthy for me.  

We had the best risotto ever in Ravenna.   I love truffles, have truffle salt on my popcorn and scrambled eggs, but nothing is like the fresh, sigh!  Our DGD even puts it on her popcorn!lol! 

Now to decide where to go,  Sicily?  and Bologna and Tuscany or to just focus on northern Italy?  So nice to have this problem even if it gets cancelled,  have to live in hope as another Japanese cruise got cancelled.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Sadly I won’t be spending any time in Rome. My travel companion wants to go from directly from the airport to the port area (civitvecchia) and spend the night there before boarding the ship on Thursday. Any recommendations for Civitvecchia? 

31 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Sadly I won’t be spending any time in Rome. My travel companion wants to go from directly from the airport to the port area (civitvecchia) and spend the night there before boarding the ship on Thursday. Any recommendations for Civitvecchia? 

I hate to sound negative, but Civitavecchia doesn't have much going for it. Let's just say it's one of the least charming places I've visited in Italy....

Don't trust TripAdisor here. Mostly one-time only eaters/tourists rating the places.

Michelin mentions only one restaurant in Civitavecchia, this one: Forma restaurant, Civitavecchia - Restaurant menu and reviews (restaurantguru.com)

I'm not a truffle fan.  I'll eat it if it's on my food, but it's just a little bit too earthy for me.  

Oooh, I love truffles. They are almost like catnip to me. I truly think the best way to eat them is on top of perfectly cooked eggs, but they also pair really well with some pasta. At some restaurants in Italy they price dishes with truffles for an extra charge. I did that once at one of my favorite restaurants in Rome, and the amount of truffles on top was almost obscene. 

In Italy they eat with the seasons, and one reason why I always like to go in the late fall is TRUFFLES. And also cinghiale (wild boar). Nothing beats a good ragu of cinghiale...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I hate to sound negative, but Civitavecchia doesn't have much going for it. Let's just say it's one of the least charming places I've visited in Italy....

Don't trust TripAdisor here. Mostly one-time only eaters/tourists rating the places.

Michelin mentions only one restaurant in Civitavecchia, this one: Forma restaurant, Civitavecchia - Restaurant menu and reviews (restaurantguru.com)

Thank you for the recommendation. I just made a reservation. I saw the menu and pics online. Yum!! Can’t wait! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oooh, I love truffles. They are almost like catnip to me. I truly think the best way to eat them is on top of perfectly cooked eggs, but they also pair really well with some pasta. At some restaurants in Italy they price dishes with truffles for an extra charge. I did that once at one of my favorite restaurants in Rome, and the amount of truffles on top was almost obscene. 

In Italy they eat with the seasons, and one reason why I always like to go in the late fall is TRUFFLES. And also cinghiale (wild boar). Nothing beats a good ragu of cinghiale...

We stayed one place outside Bologna where the cinghiale were in the vineyards,  the owner said no problem,  papperdelle cinghiale!  DH loves it! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We stayed one place outside Bologna where the cinghiale were in the vineyards,  the owner said no problem,  papperdelle cinghiale!  DH loves it! 

The restaurant at the St Regis that I worked at had a good arugula/truffle mini pizza.  My manager was the girlfriend of the resturant manager - when we worked the evenings, she'd ask him to make one for us.  It was good, maybe because it wasn't loaded with truffle.   Cynthia - I had TJ's tomato truffle spaghetti sauce - it was just too earthy for me.  

Now, cinghiale is another story.  I LOVE pig.  I'm looking forward to eating my share of porcine goodness on my trip!

• Like 1

Bennybear - I had that problem!  I decided to do a little new and a little old.  I haven't been to Emila-Romagna so I'm doing some daytrips based out Bologna.   Then, on to Florence.  For some reason, I always feel at home in Florence, so I'm going to more wandering around the area.

Have you been to the Dolomites?  It is absolutely beautiful there.  I would love to go back there again.   But, I've never been south of Rome, and I'd love to explore the Calabria area and maybe go over to Sicily.  There are soooooo many choices!!! 

Bennybear - I had that problem!  I decided to do a little new and a little old.  I haven't been to Emila-Romagna so I'm doing some daytrips based out Bologna.   Then, on to Florence.  For some reason, I always feel at home in Florence, so I'm going to more wandering around the area.

Have you been to the Dolomites?  It is absolutely beautiful there.  I would love to go back there again.   But, I've never been south of Rome, and I'd love to explore the Calabria area and maybe go over to Sicily.  There are soooooo many choices!!! 

Such a great problem!   Yes have been to the  Dolomites, but it was ages ago! We spent one great trip south, to Puglia and Calabria.   Highly recommend!   We’ve only skimmed the service of Sicily.    Many  years of exploring, have just made the problem harder, lol! 
We love some parts of off the beaten path Tuscany and just outside Bologna and Venice.   And then there’s the lakes, sigh! 

• Like 1

bennybear - on the dolomites:  It was part of a multi-week trip that the now-ex and I took back in 2007 in the Winter.  We worked bobsled and skeleton as officials and we were going to work races in Igls (Innsbruck) and St. Moritz.  Flew into Milan, took train to Venice.  Picked up a car for the rest of the trip.  Drove to Bolzano (another official friend lived there).  Drove from there through the Dolomites on the Great Road of the Dolomites to Cortina.  From Cortina, up to Igls for the races.  Then, across to St. Moritz for more races (and watch the polo on the frozen lake matches).  Down from there to Lake Como, and on down to Milan.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

The very best gnocchi in gorgonzola that I ever had was in a no-name pizzeria in Assisi. The gnocchi were so light and fluffy that I swear they could've floated out of the bowl.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The very best gnocchi in gorgonzola that I ever had was in a no-name pizzeria in Assisi. The gnocchi were so light and fluffy that I swear they could've floated out of the bowl.

I'll have my meager interpretation of it with the frozen bag from TJ's 😉  I'm a little too lazy to make the sauce from scratch.  

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:01 PM, slidergirl said:

I'll have my meager interpretation of it with the frozen bag from TJ's 😉  I'm a little too lazy to make the sauce from scratch.  

I picked one of those up just the other day....  😁

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Across the large Quirinale gardens from you is a great restaurant on the way to Piazza Barberini called Colline Emiliane. They are known for their wonderful house-made pasta (in fact it is featured in the window when you walk by).

I am so happy as today I got confirmation that my hotel was able to book dinner for me at Colline Emiliane. They also have checked my online booking for Casa Bleve is also confirmed. Casa Bleve was recommended multiple times on Tripadvisor and the menu, decor and reviews made it very appealing. Have you eaten there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I am so happy as today I got confirmation that my hotel was able to book dinner for me at Colline Emiliane. They also have checked my online booking for Casa Bleve is also confirmed. Casa Bleve was recommended multiple times on Tripadvisor and the menu, decor and reviews made it very appealing. Have you eaten there?

I haven't eaten at Casa Bleve but after checking them out, I will put them on my list for my next Rome visit -- hopefully in early December. Between the Michelin mention and the Augustan wall, I'm in.

When is your trip?  I hope you'll  come back and tell us about it. 😄

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marazul said:

frantic36,

you are doing me in.  I just reserved Casa Bleve for lunch the same day we are going to Roscioli for dinner.

I may sink the ship!

ooh - Roscioli.  I still remember what i had for dinner there.  So good.  

I have to get on the ball and make some of my "reservations required" reservations for my trip.  

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

When is your trip?  I hope you'll  come back and tell us about it. 😄

Edited 10 hours ago by cruisemom42

I will be in Rome from the 5th- 10th July prior to boarding the ship. I will come back and give my thoughts on the restaurants. Today I need to book Ristorante Sibilla in Tivoli as we will be in Tivoli after the cruise from 14-16 August during Ferragosto and my Italian friend here told me I should book quickly.

I had planned to stay overnight at the airport hotel to catch our flight home after the cruise but flight was changed by the airline to the early morning of the day we disembarked. After multiple phone calls we got it changed to 2 days after so took the opportunity to stay in Tivoli and explore all the places that I have wanted to for awhile. Being there for Ferragosto will just make it more interesting. 

Thankfully at this time neither Singapore nor Australia require testing as long as you are fully vaccinated and bolstered as we are, so I won't have to worry about finding a testing place during a festival time.

• Like 1