Italy: all things food and wine-related

cruisemom42

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Indeed!

That's why I like Cavour 313 in Rome -- it's a local wine bar with limited (also locally sourced) food. And they have a wide variety of wine available by the glass, including Brunello.

If either of you get to Montalcino, you would be in heaven.  Many excellent Brunello ’s available by the glass!  Or one of our favourite restaurants in San Quirico where you’re surrounded by cases.

834E1153-02DB-45D5-9A3B-2328A91CED13.jpeg

• Like 3

Will be staying near Piazza Navona and Campo de Fiore. We have two nights open for a moderately priced dinner (preferably pasta and wine) and are having a difficult time deciding between the following:

Cantina e Cucina

Pasta e Vino

Mastro Ciccia

Osteria da Fortunata

Osteria Pinseria Bistrot

Ponta e Parione

Again, we only have two nights free and would like to make the most of them. Any input is much appreciated. And I know @cruisemom42always has great suggestions.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:05 PM, bennybear said:

If either of you get to Montalcino, you would be in heaven.  Many excellent Brunello ’s available by the glass!  Or one of our favourite restaurants in San Quirico where you’re surrounded by cases.

834E1153-02DB-45D5-9A3B-2328A91CED13.jpeg

Oh, i've been to Montalcino.  had several Brunellos by the glass there.  it's also where i shattered my leg while hiking one of the trails through the vineyards...

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Will be staying near Piazza Navona and Campo de Fiore. We have two nights open for a moderately priced dinner (preferably pasta and wine) and are having a difficult time deciding between the following:

Cantina e Cucina

Pasta e Vino

Mastro Ciccia

Osteria da Fortunata

Osteria Pinseria Bistrot

Ponta e Parione

Again, we only have two nights free and would like to make the most of them. Any input is much appreciated. And I know @cruisemom42always has great suggestions.

hope @cruisemom42 knows any of these as I have not dined at any of them.  To add to your list, I have eaten at these near Campo di Fiore and recommend them:

Roscioli

Emma pizzeria (don't let the name fool you - they have much more than that)

Both are upscale-casual places that I would say are moderately priced.  you can look them up on the 'net.  Boh require reservations as far in advance as you can do.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Cantina e Cucina -- Read some reviews in Italian; overall it seems they are not impressed with the food but the service and atmosphere are nice, appears overcrowded for what's on offer.

Pasta e Vino -- This one (the one in Campo dei Fiori) sounds like a winner if its pasta and wine you want. Good reviews from local.

Mastro Ciccia -- The only listing I see for a place with this name is nowhere near Campo dei Fiori/Piazza Navona area:  MASTRO CICCIA, Rome - Pietralata - Menu, Prices, Restaurant Reviews & Reservations - Tripadvisor

Osteria da Fortunata -- See my comment below; even looking at the correct name it appears there is more than one location. Locals say good hand-made fresh pasta but somewhat expensive for the pasta dishes.

Osteria Pinseria Bistrot -- Now I get it; I think you have just one restaurant named "Mastrociccia Osteria Pinseria Bistrot".  Gets good reviews from locals.

Ponta e Parione -- Some local reviewers had issues with the pasta; maybe look elsewhere.

I'm curious as to the source of your list?  The only one on it that seemed familiar with da Fortunata, then I realized that I was thinking of a different (well respected) restaurant near the Pantheon, Da Fortunato.  See my comments above.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Oh, i've been to Montalcino.  had several Brunellos by the glass there.  it's also where i shattered my leg while hiking one of the trails through the vineyards...

Yikes on your leg, hope it healed well!  

There are three Roscioli establishments: a bakery, a pastry shop and a restaurant.

The one you want is Roscioli Salumeria con Cucina.  It is excellent and very near Campo di Fiori.

https://www.salumeriaroscioli.com/en/home-english/

It is consistently named as one of the best trattorie in Rome.  

Another one is Armando al Pantheon, between Piazza Navona and Piazza della Rotonda (Pantheon).

https://www.armandoalpantheon.it/en/

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been discussed before, anyone has a suggestion for a dinner restaurant for a Friday early evening around 5pm that is very close (walking distance) to the Vatican? A modest restaurant (good pasta/pizza) but not ultra expensive.  

- We have a Vatican night tour scheduled at 6:45 pm, and would like to have dinner before the tour, and within close walking distance to the tour meeting spot (I assume it's close to the entrance).

- Also I know the service is slow (compared to speedy service here in the States), so is 5 pm dining time sufficient to get to our Vatican tour at 6:45pm (allowing for walking time)

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by seapad

1 hour ago, seapad said:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, anyone has a suggestion for a dinner restaurant for a Friday early evening around 5pm that is very close (walking distance) to the Vatican? A modest restaurant (good pasta/pizza) but not ultra expensive.  

- We have a Vatican night tour scheduled at 6:45 pm, and would like to have dinner before the tour, and within close walking distance to the tour meeting spot (I assume it's close to the entrance).

- Also I know the service is slow (compared to speedy service here in the States), so is 5 pm dining time sufficient to get to our Vatican tour at 6:45pm (allowing for walking time)

Thank you in advance! 

Go to Pizzarium Bonci near the museum. You can have wonderful pizza by the slice.  Restaurants don't really serve dinner at 5.

https://www.bonci.it/

Edited by marazul
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Yikes on your leg, hope it healed well!  

Well, after a week in the hospital in Siena, 2 surgeries when i got back home, 3 months in casts, a year of rehab, I can do almost everything.  It ended up a little weird at the ankle, so my foot splays out like a duck.  I notice it all the time when i walk and stuff, but no one else would notice it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marazul said:

Go to Pizzarium Bonci near the museum. You can have wonderful pizza by the slice.  Restaurants don't really serve dinner at 5.

https://www.bonci.it/

Pizzarium was my first thought too.  OP, it's not your typical pizza place -- very inventive toppings and very popular place.

Dinner at 5pm is just not something Italians "do".  Better to look for a lunch place that is still open at 5pm, lol.

If your starting point is the Vatican Museums (as opposed to St. Peter's, as they are a distance apart), then here is another to consider should you want a sit-down meal:  Ristorante Pizzeria dei Musei. (Despite the name, they offer a number of traditional dishes including good pasta.)  It's right on a corner about a block from the museum entrance. They close at 6:00 pm as they mainly do lunch, so you might want to plan to be there a bit earlier than 5pm. 

6 Via Santamaura - Google Maps

It's not going to set the culinary world on fire, but for a quick meal....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Pizzarium was my first thought too.  OP, it's not your typical pizza place -- very inventive toppings and very popular place.

Dinner at 5pm is just not something Italians "do".  Better to look for a lunch place that is still open at 5pm, lol.

If your starting point is the Vatican Museums (as opposed to St. Peter's, as they are a distance apart), then here is another to consider should you want a sit-down meal:  Ristorante Pizzeria dei Musei. (Despite the name, they offer a number of traditional dishes including good pasta.)  It's right on a corner about a block from the museum entrance. They close at 6:00 pm as they mainly do lunch, so you might want to plan to be there a bit earlier than 5pm. 

6 Via Santamaura - Google Maps

It's not going to set the culinary world on fire, but for a quick meal....

Thanks for the great tip! Our meeting place is: 

At the flower stand corner of Viale Giulio Cesare and Via Leone IV. I am still googling to figure out the distance and route between the meeting point to your suggestion 🙂 

1 hour ago, seapad said:

One more question and this may sound weird....my husband favorite pasta dish is Fettuccini Alfredo, do they have something similar in Rome? 

Although allegedly created in Rome, it's not reeeaaallllyyyy considered a traditional pasta dish of the region. (I guess it's a newcomer, only invented in the 20th century.)

The menu for the restaurant I listed gives their pasta dishes, mainly the traditional ones of Rome: carbonara, amatriciana, alla gricia, and cacio e pepe, with lasagna and pomodoro tossed in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm curious as to the source of your list?  The only one on it that seemed familiar with da Fortunata, then I realized that I was thinking of a different (well respected) restaurant near the Pantheon, Da Fortunato.  See my comments above.

I put together this list after researching Yelp and TripAdvisor for restaurants near Piazza Navona and Campo. They all got fairly good reviews, which led to my dilemma as to which to choose. But I appreciate that you took the time to comment on each of them.

Looks like we'll be visiting Pasta e Vino and then flipping a coin for the other night.

Forgot to include Hosteria Costanza. From what I can gather, the food is okay, but it's a cool place (in a cave)...probably warrants stopping in for a drink, at least.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 11:38 AM, slidergirl said:

If you’ve not been to Da Cesare, give it a try.  It’s out of the tourist area but easy to get to via the #8 tram.  It’s at the end of the line.  Best to go with at least one more person so you can try a bunch of their antipasti.  The fried gnocchi in Gorgonzola is freakin amazing.  Wish I had room to try their frito mixto- people next to me had it and it looked scrumptious.  Reservations absolutely necessary.

I’ve been to La Pergola, but not to dine.  One of the concierges took me up for a look at the view.  I was staying there on an award for a Hilton employee contest. 

@slidergirl can you tell me... When I try and find the tram station at Largo di Torre Argentina to board #8, a bus is the only thing that comes up on google maps. Do you know if the tram is not running or do they not have info about trams, or why can't I find it. I have done so many searches and nothing comes up for the tram and where to get it. Thank you for any help. I have a dual purpose for #8 tram. To try this restaurant and to get to the train station in Trastevere. 

40 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

@slidergirl can you tell me... When I try and find the tram station at Largo di Torre Argentina to board #8, a bus is the only thing that comes up on google maps. Do you know if the tram is not running or do they not have info about trams, or why can't I find it. I have done so many searches and nothing comes up for the tram and where to get it. Thank you for any help. I have a dual purpose for #8 tram. To try this restaurant and to get to the train station in Trastevere. 

i saw that and it's weird.  you can search for '# 8 tram route Rome' and find quite a few listings for it.   There is also some notes that the line has been expanded to piazza venezia.  I have no idea why it doesn't show up.   Also, if i remember, there isn't a station, per se, but a stop.  If you do google maps and go to largo di torre argentina and go to street level, by the entrance to the cat sanctuary, you will see the tram rails in the street.  Follow it either way and you'll see 'stops' for the line and even a tram going on the line.  And, yes, the #8 tram does get you to the train station.  

3 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

i saw that and it's weird.  you can search for '# 8 tram route Rome' and find quite a few listings for it.   There is also some notes that the line has been expanded to piazza venezia.  I have no idea why it doesn't show up.   Also, if i remember, there isn't a station, per se, but a stop.  If you do google maps and go to largo di torre argentina and go to street level, by the entrance to the cat sanctuary, you will see the tram rails in the street.  Follow it either way and you'll see 'stops' for the line and even a tram going on the line.  And, yes, the #8 tram does get you to the train station.  

Thank you so much. So much to research. lol  I will do just that.

Thanks for starting this forum, CruiseMom.  Once again you are an awesome source of info! Love hearing the talk about Sermonetta.  When we first went to Venice my husband splurged on a beautiful dark brown pair for me, of course beautifully fitted to my hand.  A few years later, I lost one glove and just cried!  Later we went to Chicago and there was actually a shop there!  I was able to replace my gloves in a slightly different style, but have kept the one original glove.  Just can not bring myself to pitch it, and hold out hope that someday it's partner will show up!

Anyway, does anyone have a good spot for deli or casual "street food" near the Albergo del Senato (Pantheon area), near Piazza Navona (not too near, maybe a hidden side street nearby), and near Campo Dei Fiore? We don't like fussy or fancy restaurants but love good, casual,  authentic or rustic foods, at good prices!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cleobella said:

Anyway, does anyone have a good spot for deli or casual "street food" near the Albergo del Senato (Pantheon area), near Piazza Navona (not too near, maybe a hidden side street nearby), and near Campo Dei Fiore? We don't like fussy or fancy restaurants but love good, casual,  authentic or rustic foods, at good prices!

L'Antica Salumeria is directly across the piazza from the Albergo.  Great porchetta sandwiches and many other things.

6 hours ago, marazul said:

L'Antica Salumeria is directly across the piazza from the Albergo.  Great porchetta sandwiches and many other things.

you beat me to it!  Yummy sandwiches and a good place to pick up a late evening treat.  

Near Campo dei Fiore look up Antico Forno Roscioli. part of excellent Roscioli family and their restaurants.  Good pizza al taglio, suppli,  and pastries.   

If you need a cafe and un corneto, right around the corner from the hotel is Tazza d' Oro.  It's where I always get my morning boost.  Some prefer Sant Eustacio, which is near Piazza Navona.  It comes down to which cafe tastes best for you.