Iona Thoughts

Cruiserjules

9 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Read somewhere that passengers were being removed as they travelled on a coach with someone who tested positive. 

Andy 

True, but I understand the standard plan is for an evening departure for Iona on staycations rather than late afternoon anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Cruiserjules!

Having only watched videos of the ship, your review does help fill in some gaps. And, true, I may only be basing my opinion from afar, but I don't think I'll be rushing to go on Iona.

Your description of the atrium being soulless is exactly what impression I got when seeing some of the walk around videos. (That and the celings seem low in a lot of places).

Sure there are nice looking parts - such as the Olive Grove - and in general the cabins, but the majority of what I've seen it just doesn't appeal to me.

And I've glad that you've mentioned the mobile phone usage. This is what I thought would happen when they moved towards the app. People will just be staring at their phones more and more.

BTW, hats off to your husband for the formal night mask. Brilliant!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cruiserjules said:

Sorry I didn't seem to take many photos of the room.  We were in 12:529.  It was 7 cabins aft of the midships lift

room 1.jpg

room 2.jpg

Thanks for the review and the photos. We have cabins booked in the same position but on the port side, 12524 and 12526 with interconnecting doors for our cruise in January.

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

edit - marine traffic says she is constrained by her draught ???

It means that due to her size and draught, she's unable to deviate from the course she is on and that other nearby shipping should bear in mind she cannot move out of their way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thank you for the review.  Less than four weeks for our turn.  Can't wait to get on board!

Ditto, but just under 3 weeks for us. Looking forward to trying the new dining options. If it's all rubbish, we won't book again, but worth a try. Folk may prefer the older, smaller ships, but they aren't going anywhere at the moment.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

It means that due to her size and draught, she's unable to deviate from the course she is on and that other nearby shipping should bear in mind she cannot move out of their way.

The draft of Iona is 39 feet. Ships like Arcadia and even Marco Polo are only about 10 feet less. Not much in shipping terms.

27 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Quick question for those who have been/are on board:

Are they doing the Chef's Table event on board?

Thanks

Yes they did, extract from Horizon below.  Can't comment on it as we had already booked the Olive Grove for Celebration Night, and didn't bother trying to look for it or book it.

IMG_0748.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Yes they did, extract from Horizon below.  Can't comment on it as we had already booked the Olive Grove for Celebration Night, and didn't bother trying to look for it or book it.

IMG_0748.jpg

Thank you Jaydee.  That's very helpful and good to know.  Now just have to book once on board.

And a Tag Heur talk as well.  Might have to book that too...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Hoping someone will give us a lowdown on the new conservatory cabins,  either those on promenade deck or the one above.

Also what did people think of the proximity of those cabins when walking round the promenade?

Thanks

The ones at deck level are not going down well with some people doing reviews although i have not seen a review from anyone actually in one of these cabins. I think to book them you have to be clear about what you are going to get.

There were reports on an earlier  voyage that people were  somehow, possibly on tiptoe, taking photos from the promenade deck into the conservatories.

Having said that, if you are very tall it must be difficult not to  just glance in.. its human nature.  Not sure if this is possible though as not sure of the height.

hope we get some feedback from occupants.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

This YouTube video shows a walk around the promenade deck and towards the end it shows people having a chat with people passing their balcony cabin.

Ugh! Even worse than I thought.

Interesting to see those strolling passengers who appear to have forgotten about any semblance of social distancing. Where I live people still move aside when walking past each other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just had a quick look at the deckplans.  Luckily there's no GB grade cabins on the prom deck.  In the unlikely event that the upgrade fairy visits us, we'll so no thank you, unless we know the cabin number.

I thought you couldn't decline an upgrade? That's why we always "tick" the no upgrade box.