Coach passengers testing positive at terminal

molecrochip

2 hours ago, Mostonian said:

Due to advancing years we now choose to use the complementary coach service offered by P &O as it is the easiest way for us to travel. Whilst allowing us to book and pay for our cruise in October, no mention was made of the protocols which would be invoked if one member of the travelling coach group were to prove positive for COVID.  If we had been aware of this protocol it would certainly have had an influence on our decision to pay for the cruise and we would most likely have cancelled and lost our modest deposit or at least moved it to a later date. As it is now it is a cruise that we are not particularly looking forward to because there is a chance that we may not be able embark, and under the T&C we cannot cancel. I know we could pursue other means of travel but that would include more hassle and expense.  (Gripe over!!!)

That’s exactly my sentiments,and I have to be honest before reading this thread about all the poor people taken off the ship i didn’t know I had to take a test to get on the coach..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Pink-Belle alluded to this earlier.  Apparently the driver checked that people had a negative LFT result, probably through people showing the driver the text or email you get after submitting your test result to the NHS.

At the risk of stating something you may already know, the LFT result is simply a self declaration that you tested negative.  The system only recognises the QR code of the test gizmo, not where the line finishes showing the result.  So basically, very easy to lie when submitting the test result.

Sadly, I understand that this loophole is well known in certain circles and was (partly) behind the government decision that if vaccine passports are introduced in Britain they will only be accepted if they confirm full vaccination, not a negative test.

• Like 2

It is interesting reading this, and perhaps it is good that no further testing is done once on board: Viking cruises test their guests daily when sailing. On a recent Iceland sailing, one guest returned a positive daily test and all guests that had shared an excursion (coach trip) were then deemed to have been close contacts, and despite returning negative results were offered the choice of quarantining in their cabins for the remainder of the cruise or being taken off and flown home!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mostonian said:

Due to advancing years we now choose to use the complementary coach service offered by P &O as it is the easiest way for us to travel. Whilst allowing us to book and pay for our cruise in October, no mention was made of the protocols which would be invoked if one member of the travelling coach group were to prove positive for COVID.  If we had been aware of this protocol it would certainly have had an influence on our decision to pay for the cruise and we would most likely have cancelled and lost our modest deposit or at least moved it to a later date. As it is now it is a cruise that we are not particularly looking forward to because there is a chance that we may not be able embark, and under the T&C we cannot cancel. I know we could pursue other means of travel but that would include more hassle and expense.  (Gripe over!!!)

How far away do you live, is it possible to change coach travel to OBC and then arrange a taxi , or does distance make this prohibitive 

Windsurfboy.  We are travelling down from Bolton so are considering as you suggest.  I just wish we had been aware that if one person on the coach tested positive then the rest of the passengers would be prevented from embarking. We were quite aware of all the testing requirements for travel, but it has not been made clear that one positive Covid test from one passenger would prevent the rest of the group from embarking. Over the top precautions in my opinion, but I am in the minority.

• Like 1

I just do not understand why all coach passengers are not kept socially distanced in the terminal until all have produced a negative test result.  It would still mean people may not be allowed to embark the ship, but at least they would not have embarked, unpacked and perhaps even eaten dinner on board.  If socially distanced on the coach, there would only be about 25 people per coach, so not difficult to ensure all those have produced a negative test, given they will all leave the coach at the same time.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mostonian said:

WOWZZ.  Once you have paid your balance, as we have, it’s not possible to move your cruise. If we had been aware of the COVID protocols re. coach travel we most likely would have moved it.

My apologies - I haven't kept up to date with all the changing rules!

14 hours ago, Mostonian said:

Windsurfboy.  We are travelling down from Bolton so are considering as you suggest.  I just wish we had been aware that if one person on the coach tested positive then the rest of the passengers would be prevented from embarking. We were quite aware of all the testing requirements for travel, but it has not been made clear that one positive Covid test from one passenger would prevent the rest of the group from embarking. Over the top precautions in my opinion, but I am in the minority.

I agree this should have been made clear that coach passengers  had this risk.  Especially the whole coach not just nearby seats

I does seem over the top .  One thought will it change in line with new England  guidelines . Then isolation  is replaced by a PCR test.  Worth checking with p&O if they are adopting  this.  P&O can arrange fast PCR in an hour at dockside. 

• Like 1

Eavesway protocol………
Prior to Departure Date

In line with the safety protocols introduced by the Cruise Lines, we now request that you provide proof of a negative rapid lateral flow test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding the coach for your journey to the port.

Also they run with reduced capacity….

6. The Cruiselink service will be operating at reduced capacity, again subject to guidelines applicable on the date of travel. Seats not to be occupied will be clearly marked. Passengers from the same household, or booked to share a cabin on the ship, may sit together. All other passengers will be asked to take an available window seat.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:41 PM, SarahHben said:

Yes, I know of a family whose son tested positive (after his first jab) so the family self isolated, after 7 days the mum started showing symptoms, and then after another 7 days the dad started showing symptoms. The mum &  dad were both double jabbed.

Under government rules the families self isolating period didn’t need to start afresh after the mum tested positive but fortunately they started the isolation period again anyway, good job they did otherwise the dad would have been out and about just before showing symptoms!

My ex-wife’s husband is double jabbed, he caught the virus in July as did my son’s girlfriend also double jabbed, they had gone for a meal at a pub, the pub was closed 2 days later due to staff going down with virus. Neither my son or my ex-wife, both double jabbed showed any symptoms and both tested negative.  Ex’s husband said it was like having a bad hangover, my son’s girlfriend was quite ill. 

An aside, my ex-wife’s husband had been taking part in a post vaccination monitoring program, he had blood tests which showed he had antibodies as a result of jab plus antibodies showing he had contracted Covid at some point previously. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My ex-wife’s husband is double jabbed, he caught the virus in July as did my son’s girlfriend also double jabbed, they had gone for a meal at a pub, the pub was closed 2 days later due to staff going down with virus. Neither my son or my ex-wife, both double jabbed showed any symptoms and both tested negative.  Ex’s husband said it was like having a bad hangover, my son’s girlfriend was quite ill. 

An aside, my ex-wife’s husband had been taking part in a post vaccination monitoring program, he had blood tests which showed he had antibodies as a result of jab plus antibodies showing he had contracted Covid at some point previously. 

It is a worry that we’re hearing about so many double jabbed people getting Covid now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It is a worry that we’re hearing about so many double jabbed people getting Covid now.

It is down to this Delta variant which is more contagious and 'different' to the original version. If you have AZ jabs like me and find yourself receiving a large enough quantity of viral particles the vaccine with give you about 67%? protection and luckily over 90% protection against serious disease. The Pfizer vaccine is better, about 80% and over 95%

The problem is a lot of people think they are now immune. I have been self isolating since last week to minimise the risk of testing positive at the terminal on Saturday. Also doing lateral flow tests and for travel to Southampton have a small supply of those FP? masks. Have a retinal scan booked on Thursday and if the procedures are not up to scratch will just decline to continue.

• Like 5

I can only echo the concerns expressed by the last three posts. Too many people assuming double vaccination = no risk of contracting the virus, and no risk of transmission to others. Both completely wrong.

Meanwhile, we’ve got very high infection rates, hospitals at full stretch, and autumn and winter on the way.

They think it’s all over………….

• Like 7

On 8/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, Mostonian said:

I don’t believe P&O arranged these transfers, if you look on their website and FAQs, it says they won’t be providing  them.   The Company who they have used in the past has set up the transfers themselves and it looks like P&O have had to deal with the fallout because they let them on board prior to testing them all.  

Surely everyone should be tested on the coach before getting off?  Also,  How come there were 42 people on one coach?  That doesn’t allow for distancing.   I was on a coach the other day and half the seats were taped off! 

What about all the other passengers who have been on public transport prior to the cruise - train, underground taxi!  

Edited by K8T
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I agree that it is worrying but the jab does not prevent Covid but it does mean that you are less likely to need hospitalisation.  I don't know if it is just a coincidence but when we have AZ rather than Pfizer clinics it seems like we have a higher percentage of people coming for their second jab and saying that they have had Covid between the jabs.  I also don't  know if there is any research into  this.

Elsewhere someone has reported that this is being seen as a one off incident as these coaches have been running for 2 months without issues. Also that P&O could keep the coach party together and test them at the port. Seems sensible to me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, K8T said:

I don’t believe P&O arranged these transfers, if you look on their website and FAQs, it says they won’t be providing  them.   The Company who they have used in the past has set up the transfers themselves and it looks like P&O have had to deal with the fallout because they let them on board prior to testing them all.  

Surely everyone should be tested on the coach before getting off?  Also,  How come there were 42 people on one coach?  That doesn’t allow for distancing.   I was on a coach the other day and half the seats were taped off! 

What about all the other passengers who have been on public transport prior to the cruise - train, underground taxi!  

Not much you can do about public transport. Travel down by train and test positive. There is no way they can do any contact tracing. Hold on, there is, the NHS test and trace app but I hear and see that lots of people are just switching it off.

• Like 1

As there is currently a high prevalence of Covid in the country (ONS says that 1 in 75 people are infected in England) I would think that Saturday’s scenario would happen  quite often. Hopefully they will learn from what happened, to improve their procedures - it makes sense to keep the coach passengers together until all of them get a negative LF test. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Not much you can do about public transport. Travel down by train and test positive. There is no way they can do any contact tracing. Hold on, there is, the NHS test and trace app but I hear and see that lots of people are just switching it off.

I think most people aren’t bothering with the app anymore. Going into cafes and restaurants, nobody is checking in anymore, apart from my husband and me! 

• Like 4

Saga seem to have this pretty well sorted, judging by the experience of some friends of ours who’ve just returned. All the passengers they pick up from home now are apparently picked up in vehicles containing no other passengers, so a much reduced risk of cross infection.

Masks all round required throughout the journey. There’s a risk from the driver, of course, but no risk from other passengers.  They were very impressed with the arrangements, and the boarding was far easier and quicker than usual. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Saga seem to have this pretty well sorted, judging by the experience of some friends of ours who’ve just returned. All the passengers they pick up from home now are apparently picked up in vehicles containing no other passengers, so a much reduced risk of cross infection.

Masks all round required throughout the journey. There’s a risk from the driver, of course, but no risk from other passengers.  They were very impressed with the arrangements, and the boarding was far easier and quicker than usual. 

Thats one reason we have booked a Saga cruise in January

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just to update this, we’ve just learned that the thing that didn’t impress them was being herded together with a couple of hundred other people, at a muster station, all close together! Admittedly all masked, but they weren’t happy about it.

• Like 1

I am due to cruise with P&O in October.  The cruise has been paid for and as part of the Select fare I was offered a transfer from a convenient point near home to the ship by a carrier of their choosing. Surely they have a duty of care and I should be able to expect P&O to get me to the ship in safety and have protocols in place to ensure this. I have spent a considerable amount if money on this cruise and would hate to be denied boarding at the last minute. Anyone have thoughts on this.

15 minutes ago, Mostonian said:

I am due to cruise with P&O in October.  The cruise has been paid for and as part of the Select fare I was offered a transfer from a convenient point near home to the ship by a carrier of their choosing. Surely they have a duty of care and I should be able to expect P&O to get me to the ship in safety and have protocols in place to ensure this. I have spent a considerable amount if money on this cruise and would hate to be denied boarding at the last minute. Anyone have thoughts on this.

The only safe thing to do is to effectively isolate yourselves for the week before and then arrange as safe a transport as possible. 

Safest drive yourself,  even with an overnight stay half way if Bolton to Southampton is too far.

If you can't drive yourself  then , next safest option get a taxi , ask driver to test before you leave , also test yourselves.  Wear masks, keep windows open

Go on a coach organised by P&O will never be as safe, but they will do best with test , social distancing and masks.   Saga at moment offer private transfers , but Saga charge a lot more than P&O , you get what you pay for.

• Like 3