Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 34

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, August 16 and Sunday, August 22.

Check your phone. You may have taken a picture during the week. Share! 

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Saturday I went over to Newport Lakes as part of my 2 hours exercise per day. Still within 5km radius of home.

Lovely family of swans floating around with some kids nearby, but not going to close. Unfortunately, some people of unbelievable idiocy decided to take their dogs, off lead, into the nature reserve. On Friday there had been another cygnet.

1654680779_SwanFamily2.thumb.jpg.ed96eadd7a1de60e4f23a4f9e4d0f39a.jpg

1924315342_SwanFamily1.thumb.jpg.f095977325b3eea5f043d0fa00e31c4b.jpg

2128456554_SwanFamily3.thumb.jpg.e64b0fd628278a15276f1ff68a1f008b.jpg

• Like 7

Another weekend spent out in the wetlands - temperature 97 degrees F, humidity around 82%, no clouds at all, so that sun was beating down directly at 1pm - 4pm.  The good thing about the wetlands here is that there are always fauna around of some kind!

A Needham's skimmer dragonfly:

original.jpg

A juvenile Cooper's hawk attempting to hide in the shadowy pine forest, but finding that the blue jays knew exactly where he was and were loudly alerting the rest of the forest to his presence.  The way he was glaring at them, you could feel the daggers coming from his eyes!:

original.jpg

A large softshell turtle having a rest on a submerged log, while a dragonfly was having a rest on him:

original.jpg

A lovely roseate spoonbill showing his pink feathers against that clear blue sky:

original.jpg

This momma alligator was about 4 feet away - sitting directly on top of her nest...she usually sits nearby and watches, jumping out of the water and hissing at anything that gets too close, but on this day she was right on the nest, so likely her eggs will soon be hatching, and she was there ready to assist:

original.jpg

I noticed this black-bellied whistling duck sitting quite still, but looking a bit raised up:

original.jpg

On closer inspection, I focused through the plants and reeds around her belly, and noticed she was sheltering her brood of ducklings:

97DF678FCCDB4038B36954984FF803A9.jpg

Then I heard the whistling calls in the air, and poppa whistling duck came for a few close circles around me:

original.jpg

I didn't want to upset him thinking I was a threat to his kids, so I moved on, and he landed on the handrail of the boardwalk right where I had been standing to photograph momma.  A good father, keeping watch over his family while they rest and get some shade.

• Like 5

Practice makes perfect? Sure, eventually. But until perfection is achieved, pracice makes you better. I try not to repeat subjects in the Picture-A-Week project but this one deserved a place in the queue, Matthew has made very noticeable gains in his mastery of the ice. In his games Sunday, he showed a significant improvement in all aspects of hockey as I understand them. His skating has improved remarkably and his enthusiasm (aggression) has ramped up significantly, but not in a bad way. He blocked, passed and took shots in a marked improvement since the last time we saw him in a game. I appreciate achievement in any endeavor and though hockey has never been a unit of measure for me, I have to say that young Mr. Labrucherie has made remarkable gains in hockey skills.

Practice Makes Better

1558013403_2021-34PracticeMakesBetter.thumb.jpg.13face8c35d185337a49a58b58f1e4f8.jpg

Dave

• Like 4