Tax on Cruise Planner Purchases

cpa09

Does anyone know what's up with tax being charged for Cruise Planner Purchases?  In the past, tax was not charged on cruise planner purchases for shore excursions.  Gratuities were charged for purchases of beverage packages and dining packages which was ok.  

I booked a couple things for our upcoming cruise in August 2022 on Symphony of the Seas and a 12% tax was charged on the purchases.  

For my sailing out of Bayonne on Anthem of the Seas this December, and as you’ve mentioned, there are NO taxes added to any of my dining, internet, or drink packages I’ve purchased, only the gratuities have been added.

I haven’t booked any shore excursions yet. Probably won’t, not on this itinerary. 

Edited by dmwnc1959

I've seen 3 or 4 threads on this. Be careful if you think you see a price drop on drink pkg you previously booked .. now taxes are being added so it's not apples to apples.

Idk havent been following but a few months ago it was noted only taxes are being added to the newer ships, hadnt yet spread to older ships but might now. Maybe we should be noting which ships are doing it, or is it all now.

I brought it up 3 to 6 months ago that it was being done and posted to a roll call and a know it all admin removed the thread saying until it was fact on my ship, I cant post it's coming, maybe it's a good time to pre purchase before it hits your ship I said. Nope ..cant post until it hits I was told. Shhhh

32 minutes ago, cpa09 said:

Does anyone know what's up with tax being charged for Cruise Planner Purchases?  In the past, tax was not charged on cruise planner purchases for shore excursions.  Gratuities were charged for purchases of beverage packages and dining packages which was ok.  

I booked a couple things for our upcoming cruise in August 2022 on Symphony of the Seas and a 12% tax was charged on the purchases.  

Is it a VAT tax.

• Like 1

It's a new "feature" of the "My Royal Cruises" interface being rolled out to more and more ships.

When I last looked it only applied to Royal provided excursions at their private destinations.  Excursions by 3rd parties were not subject to this new taxation.  

I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than a money grab.  Presumably any taxes that the Bahamas required was included in the item before.  Now it's not.  For something like a $1,900 cabana it's a significant increase in pricing.  

• Like 1

I have a Water Park Cabana booked for Harmony April 2022 price was $699.00 with an additional tax 

of $83.88 total $782.88. Hoping to get a sale price before we sail. The last time I booked this cabana it was $499...no added tax.