Cruise line COVID evacuation

Essiesmom

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Since I've never had medical issues on a ship (knock on wood), I would simply want to know if this is the normal process. How was it treated previously for a heart problem? A burst appendix? A stroke? Medical issues happen all the time and if Carnival followed their normal procedures when disembarking a medical patient then I don't know if it's realistic to expect a different scenario when it's covid vs. other medical issues.

ScottsSweetie,

I was disembarked from the Carnival Pride with a medical issue on a Journeys cruise in Grand Turk in 2017.  There was no demand for money up front from the Grand Turk Hospital and my travel insurance, Allianz, paid the hospital directly and arranged for my repatriation on a private medivac jet.  I was never asked for a penny by anyone.  That's my experience.  Since I have not traveled since the Covid outbreak I have not shopped for travel insurance, so I, as you, don't know if it's realistic to expect a different scenario when it's covid vs. other medical issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asalligo said:

It does not matter what normal procedure is. Sometimes you have to do what is right for the business in the long run in times of adversity. Millions of potential cruisers are sitting at home thinking is it worth it or too dangerous to cruise? Every time one of them reads this article Carnival loses potential revenue. Right now it is only in our world, but soon it will be all over the news. They are just slow to catch on. Carnival had the chance for this to read "Flown home at cruise lines expense and they did everything they could" instead of the sob story they will make it now. You may find cruiselawnews to have been generous when Good Morning America plays their version. 

Well, my Mama taught me that if you can't do it for everyone, then you shouldn't do it for anyone. You would expect Carnival to do this for every single covid patient needing on-shore medical expertise, or only once for positive public relations to boost revenue? What about the next 6 or 7 covid cases needing the same? What about other medical issues?

It certainly could become an issue in the coming days or weeks - my guess is we might see a lawsuit filed by the family, if not soon then right before the statute of limitations ends. But I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome of such suit would be.

5 minutes ago, dezertcruzer said:

ScottsSweetie,

I was disembarked from the Carnival Pride with a medical issue on a Journeys cruise in Grand Turk in 2017.  There was no demand for money up front from the Grand Turk Hospital and my travel insurance, Allianz, paid the hospital directly and arranged for my repatriation on a private medivac jet.  I was never asked for a penny by anyone.  That's my experience.  Since I have not traveled since the Covid outbreak I have not shopped for travel insurance, so I, as you, don't know if it's realistic to expect a different scenario when it's covid vs. other medical issues.

That is because you had a policy that would advance payment. Not all do, so thanks for mentioning that one. Interested people can check it out.

All policies have a phone number to call so that a representative can be involved in making arrangements. They are paying the bill so they want things handled in the most cost efficient way. They will assist even if all do not front the money.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Well, my Mama taught me that if you can't do it for everyone, then you shouldn't do it for anyone. You would expect Carnival to do this for every single covid patient needing on-shore medical expertise, or only once for positive public relations to boost revenue? What about the next 6 or 7 covid cases needing the same? What about other medical issues?

It certainly could become an issue in the coming days or weeks - my guess is we might see a lawsuit filed by the family, if not soon then right before the statute of limitations ends. But I'm pretty sure I know what the outcome of such suit would be.

Carnival has already stated their policy. We just saw it in action. Everyone else can expect the same.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Babr said:

Yes, it is the more expensive of the two plans but may be worth it if people are really concerned. They should also understand it needs to be paired with either a medical like GeoBlue or a standard comprehensive travel policy. 

I had been thinking about it, but I just got it in addition to my GeoBlue since it covers evacuation for COVID quarantine, and BlueGeo is limited to medically necessary.    My question is why the first thing everyone does now is create a ***** or other thing to collect money for a situation that they put themselves in.  I do feel compassion for them, but it seems like every problem is being made into a money making situation.  I don't expect strangers to reimburse me the $800 or so that I have spent on insurance to protect me from being in that situation on cruises I choose to take.

Edited by MrMarc
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

A better chance for Carnival to get sued if they had flown her home. The ticket contract is clear on Covid policy. Anyone who fails to read it, fails personal responsibility 101.

(f) Guest further understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Guest Protocols, such Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carnival may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carnival determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carnival be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

A better chance for Carnival to get sued if they had flown her home. The ticket contract is clear on Covid policy. Anyone who fails to read it, fails personal responsibility 101.

(f) Guest further understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Guest Protocols, such Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carnival may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carnival determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carnival be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest.

I would submit that 99% of the people who sue cruiselines for any reason would fail that class.

• Like 2

Just now, AtSeaWithChris said:

Do you have a link to their stated policy on people who tests positive?

We were talking about the fact that Carnival will not bear any financial responsibility if you are denied boarding or require quarantine because of a positive test. I’m sure the family of the woman in question got FCC for the unused days of the cruise, but Carnival never had any intention of paying for anything once she was off the ship.

As far as a positive test with mild symptoms, it seems that people are quarantining on board for the rest of the cruise, but even that is questionable if you followed the discussion of the vloggers on the Mardi Gras.

You can find any additional details on the Carnival website. You should make yourself familiar with it if you are planning to cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coaster said:

Isn't this the same article shared a couple of hours ago?

Did you have new information?

6 minutes ago, coaster said:

I read the article twice and the only passenger mentioned was the lady that died from 2 weeks ago. I saw no mention of a new passenger in 

"bad shape"

10 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

I read the article twice and the only passenger mentioned was the lady that died from 2 weeks ago. I saw no mention of a new passenger in 

"bad shape"

It's in this one

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=58829

Though it doesn't say from the Vista, or even a cruise ship, though it's implied.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

12 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

It's in this one

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=58829

Though it doesn't say from the Vista, or even a cruise ship, though it's implied.

"Reporter
"A cruise visitor 79 year-old female who came to Belize on a Carnival Cruise was hospitalized here and then died when she returned by ambulance to the US. There is still a male patient from the US hospitalized in Belize, according to our reports he is in bad shape. "

I see 2 statements. There is nothing here that implies he came from a cruise ship or was already there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

"Reporter
"A cruise visitor 79 year-old female who came to Belize on a Carnival Cruise was hospitalized here and then died when she returned by ambulance to the US. There is still a male patient from the US hospitalized in Belize, according to our reports he is in bad shape. "

I see 2 statements. There is nothing here that implies he came from a cruise ship or was already there.

Well, the question in the article reads, "Is Carnival dumping sick patients in Belize?" But I did say that it while it wasn't explicitly noted that he was a cruise passenger, the article does seem to be about cruise passengers.