Cruise line COVID evacuation

Essiesmom

5 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Well, the question in the article reads, "Is Carnival dumping sick patients in Belize?" But I did say that it while it wasn't explicitly noted that he was a cruise passenger, the article does seem to be about cruise passengers.

True. I question if the author was any less dishonest than the ambulance chaser.

27 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Well, the question in the article reads, "Is Carnival dumping sick patients in Belize?" But I did say that it while it wasn't explicitly noted that he was a cruise passenger, the article does seem to be about cruise passengers.

The question itself is so stupid, why even give it any attention.  If you have COVID, you are not going to get on a Ship or a plane, unless it is an air evacuation plane.  If you choose to travel right now without insurance that will cover this situation, then no one is dumping you anywhere, you got yourself into a bad situation.  It is no one's responsibility to get you out of it except yours.  I already had travel insurance that would cover a medically necessary evacuation, and after reading about this I added a second policy that would evacuate me even in a quarantined situation.  Yes, it cost me more money, but now I am prepared no matter what happens.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Babr said:

Yes, it is the more expensive of the two plans but may be worth it if people are really concerned. They should also understand it needs to be paired with either a medical like GeoBlue or a standard comprehensive travel policy. 

I have GeoBlue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bgwest said:

Yet another poorly titled and alarmist post. 

It’s really SIMPLE. 

Make a responsible decision and purchase the property travel insurance. At which point all of this conversation becomes wasted words. 

Well, that’s the problem. People are trying to understand exactly what Carnival will do and how to cope with that. Yes, the information is out there, but I’m guessing a lot of people never paid attention to it until now. I bet many never considered insurance because they never bought it before. Now they don’t know what to do because travel insurance, like any other insurance is very complex.

It has become a crash course in self-preservation.

3 minutes ago, AtSeaWithChris said:

Carnival is yet to make their protocol public when someone tests positive.

Correct. That part is not clear, and people are trying to establish some kind of pattern from first-hand accounts. Carnival really needs to spell it out and be consistent in implementing it.

They are only clear that they will not be paying for anything.That is the part I was referring to.

• Like 1

Here is the thing.  RCL has sent Covid postive patients home on private planes.  This is for vaccinated guests but unvaccinated have to have insurance.  Michael Bayley the CEO.  even committed to this on Facebook on August 16.  Personally seems Carnival should just require the insurance for all if they are not  not going to do anything for the vacciinated.  I realize we have no idea if this would have made a difference but maybe she would have reached out for treeatment earlier if she was assured to get home?  

CLIA should have a set standard where cruise lines under their umbrella for reporting positive cases onboard or evacuating passengers stricken with Covid onboard. Same for embarkation guidelines for their member cruise lines. Cruise lines should think about defunding CLIA as they have been totally useless to simplify or coordinate any type of response to Covid among the cruise lines that fund them.

Edited by coaster

13 minutes ago, Thenagers said:

Here is the thing.  RCL has sent Covid postive patients home on private planes.  This is for vaccinated guests but unvaccinated have to have insurance.  Michael Bayley the CEO.  even committed to this on Facebook on August 16.  Personally seems Carnival should just require the insurance for all if they are not  not going to do anything for the vacciinated.  I realize we have no idea if this would have made a difference but maybe she would have reached out for treeatment earlier if she was assured to get home?  

The positives that I have read about that have been flown home in a private plane were not in need of emergency medical treatment - they were all either symptomatic or mild symptoms. Pretty sure they would not be put on a plane if they needed to be in a hospital. And I'm sorry - everyone who cruises knows that travel insurance exists and make the choice to purchase or not. It is not the cruise lines responsible to rescue people from their own bad decisions.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Terab85 said:

Unfortunately I don't think we have the whole story.  The story makes Carnival out to be the villain but we might only be getting part of the story from her family.  Unfortunately traveling abroad without some kind of insurance is risky these days.  

I totally agree.  I am only 52, my husband 61.  There is no way I would travel outside of the US without travel insurance right now. We are also both fully vaccinated.  Why would anyone, of any age take a cruise in the very beginning stages of "cruise returning" without it.  I am so sorry for the loss, for the family.  Her picture makes me feel like I knew her.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, coaster said:

CLIA should have a set standard where cruise lines under their umbrella for reporting positive cases onboard or evacuating passengers stricken with Covid onboard. Same for embarkation guidelines for their member cruise lines. Cruise lines should think about defunding CLIA as they have been totally useless to simplify or coordinate any type of response to Covid among the cruise lines that fund them.

Well I don't know the extent of their role in things but I agree that CLIA should be calling for SOP unity in the cruise lines protocols. One of the big things with the CDC cruise stop was that they didn't want the cruise lines to compete against each other in ther starting protocols. Seems that has been lost in the shuffle. 

1 hour ago, coaster said:

I believe a unified approach was what the CDC was waiting for from the cruise lines. When that didn't happen, we got what we got. OTOH, it is obvious the pandemic will not be done by Nov 1, and something will replace the current CSO. Maybe 2.0 will give more direction and fewer options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, my kids mama said:

I totally agree.  I am only 52, my husband 61.  There is no way I would travel outside of the US without travel insurance right now. We are also both fully vaccinated.  Why would anyone, of any age take a cruise in the very beginning stages of "cruise returning" without it.  I am so sorry for the loss, for the family.  Her picture makes me feel like I knew her.  

That is why they call it insurance. It is there for emergencies. You hope you never have to actually use it, but are glad that you have it just in case.

• Like 1