Need some Mardi Gras answers

shibby sails

Panorama

It makes more sense to me for the cruise lines to be releasing the covid data from their cruises so their customers can make an informed decision.  We went on the Mardi Gras expecting their to be new covid cases.  We have another Carnival cruise scheduled in a few months and I expect there to be new covid cases on that ship.  What I want to know is the number of cases from previous cruises so I can make an informed judgment on the risk.  If the CDC is tracking that data, they should release it on their website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlabamaPoolBoy said:

Panorama

It makes more sense to me for the cruise lines to be releasing the covid data from their cruises so their customers can make an informed decision.  We went on the Mardi Gras expecting their to be new covid cases.  We have another Carnival cruise scheduled in a few months and I expect there to be new covid cases on that ship.  What I want to know is the number of cases from previous cruises so I can make an informed judgment on the risk.  If the CDC is tracking that data, they should release it on their website.

Well, you can keep wanting that, but Carnival has made it clear that they are reporting to the authorities the info required, and they are not going to do anything more.

14 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I doubt it. His wife got sick. He was lucky. For those who think that Carnival is hiding anything. Right now every cruise has a CDC representative on board watching everything. Want a free cruise. Become a CDC spy.

My question was tongue in cheek.  While I understand the driver of why the the Op asked the question.  There are many reasons why the cruise line does not have to nor should answer the question.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  If people don't like the way Carnival is doing things, they can cruise on a different line.    Even with masks and social distancing, people can still get covid. Traveling of any kind increases the risk.   I think some people expect perfect scenarios where they have zero risk.  That isn't reality.  If they like the way another line handles things, they should cruise on that line.  From what I have read, I think Carnival is doing a decent job with their protocols.

I can't think of any form of transportation where people have to test negative for covid and be vaccinated in order to board.  Yet, people don't seem to bat an eye when they have to hang out at an airport or fly in a plane with untested people.  But it's cruises with tested and vaccinated people that send them over the edge of paranoia.  

Having witnessed their efforts in trying to sail during these trying times, I am fine as a client and a stock holder on their efforts.  

• Like 3

Hello, I was on the Mardi Gras 8-21 to 8-28. Carnival's instructions were "we strongly suggest"

mask be worn inside and outside. Most of the folks wore mask some did not. You don't know who is vaccinated and who is not and there are not separate areas. I wore my mask and they have hand washing stations near the buffet and other places, I washed my hands every chance I got and used hand sanitzer often. Tried to stear clear of large crowded spots, I know a lot of folks met at the Red Frog pub on the first day but I could see up there it was packed so I skipped that. 

There are so many places to eat it seemed like everyone was spread out, I never saw all the tables full at the Lido buffet, there are a lot of tables there. 

Hope this helps. 

On 8/30/2021 at 1:28 PM, crewsweeper said:

Sorry the Covid nabbed you.  Were you vaccinated?  How long ago?

Based on the pictures I've seen from others on your cruise and the one before and now one after, I don't see the crowding on the ship anywhere near 1/3 of what it normally would be if at full capacity. .  Maybe  you did different things than others.  Not judging,.  Piano bar?  Excursions?

Hope you get over it quickly and indeed your cabin steward doesn't catch it.

I was on the same cruise he was and in the Mardi Theatre and Punchliner comedy room it was packed no skipping seats, Punchliner was stand room only with folks standing up. And the seating in the restaurants was like he said tables close together. Luckily I didn't get sick, I'm vaxxd but was very worried but went anyway. I had a great time, washed my hands at the hand washing stations and had sanitizer and lysol wipes in my purse.

• Like 1

Well, I started this thread and as usual it went a little sideways but that's alright I received a lot of information. Let me start by saying I was on the initial sailing of the Celebrity Edge in June and just got off the Allure last weekend. I also tested negative after both those cruises. The protocols they have in place I thought were very good and accepted the risks based on that. They both had tracelets and wrist bands for the vaccinated. They had separate vaccinated places and were very strict on mask wearing indoors. More so the Allure then the first sailing of the Edge but I think that has since changed also. Having to be tested and wearing masks is not a deal breaker for me. I just wanted to get back to cruising and feel relatively safe. I have been on over 40 carnival cruises so I have no horse in this race. With that said I feel that Carnival is lacking in some safety procedures on their comeback. As some have pointed out, you know what you are getting into and you make your choice and don't complain after the fact. That is what I am doing here. Compared to the Edge and Allure I feel I can wait until carnival gets a better handle on its protocols onboard. The Edge had 1000 onboard and the Allure 1600 and that holds almost 6000 when full. Carnival went big time with almost 4000 out of a possible 6000 and in my opinion the staff is not ready for it under Covid conditions. The self serve buffet is an accident waiting to happen. Just adding a possible noro virus outbreak even though they are doing their best to clean all the time. Its a choice after weighing all the facts and information you can gather without being on the ship. There is no reason to bash someone who feels fine going on at this time and those who don't. Make the decision but don't blame the cruise line after you are on it because you knew before you went. After being on Celebrity and RCCL I think Carnival will have to wait for me. I will cancel my September 11 cruise. I have the Mardi Gras booked for January and May of 2022 and hopefully it will be better for me then. For those who chose Carnival now, happy and safe sailing, and thanks for the responses.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 1:35 PM, crewsweeper said:

But without adequate tracing, dalajen will never know whether he contracted his from hanging around the ship venues, his cabin steward, his spouse, a bar tender who sneezed, someone in the elevator, etc..

CDC still says incubation period is 2-14 days, so further to your comments it is not possible to be certain whether he was infected prior to getting on the ship.   

11 hours ago, tmt3698 said:

I was on the same cruise he was and in the Mardi Theatre and Punchliner comedy room it was packed no skipping seats, Punchliner was stand room only with folks standing up. And the seating in the restaurants was like he said tables close together. Luckily I didn't get sick, I'm vaxxd but was very worried but went anyway. I had a great time, washed my hands at the hand washing stations and had sanitizer and lysol wipes in my purse.

Thanks for the update.

14 hours ago, tmt3698 said:

You don't know who is vaccinated

In theory, we will now have a very good idea of who is vaccinated - everyone over 12 years old.

And since everyone, even the fully vaxxed, is getting tested, I feel good about that too.

So I think the cruise lines, and in particular Carnival, have adapted to the reality of having more cases than they expected using the original protocols.  Hence they have evolved (tightened) them.

What I look forward hearing about is whether the suspected/rumored instances drop off now that we have these new protocols.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
Grammar
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:49 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I doubt it. His wife got sick. He was lucky. For those who think that Carnival is hiding anything. Right now every cruise has a CDC representative on board watching everything. Want a free cruise. Become a CDC spy.

Not too lucky; he tested positive a few days later.