95% Vaccinated?

5waldos

It is really too early to worry about what they will require in April but still-  what is this 95% vaccinated?  Are they anticipating 5% children under age? This seems to be a very strange thing to me- how ever will they determine this? 

I agree. It’s too early to worry about April. I would keep an eye on the Celebrity site. Here is the link:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

Here is the relevant section:

“We will sail with a vaccinated crew and at least 95% fully vaccinated guests. All guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind that 95% vaccinated is the protocol that the cruise lines are sailing under.  Even if they require 100% vaccination they are sailing under the CDC protocol for at least 95% vaccination rate on board ship.  

38 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

With more ports requiring 100% vaccination to dock, I expect Celebrity to move to all vaccinated passengers by at least 1/1/2022. , if not sooner.

Much sooner, as it happens.  With the list growing as it has, to do anything else would blow up far too many winter season Caribbean itineraries.

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

With more ports requiring 100% vaccination to dock, I expect Celebrity to move to all vaccinated passengers by at least 1/1/2022. , if not sooner.

Which ports require 100% vaccinated?

i would expect all of them to move to 100% within the next couple weeks.

The Bahamas including all private islands just west 100% earlier today.

Any cruise lines holding out just lost access to the "cays."

Edited by The_Mac
  • Like 1

We can start with the USVI.  I believe RCL was the first to announce how they were going to handle the new 100% vax or bust issue that has come up in the USVI:

For all Allure of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas sailings departing from Florida — the Government of the United States Virgin Islands has informed us of their plans to implement a new requirement that all passengers ages 12 and older traveling onboard a cruise ship must be fully vaccinated for the ship to be allowed entry into St. Thomas.

This latest requirement will impact all cruise ships scheduled to call on St. Thomas in the near future. To comply with this requirement, guests ages 12 and older must provide documentation of full vaccination at the terminal as a condition to boarding. Guests under the age of 12 are not required to be vaccinated, but will be subject to our COVID-19 testing policy.

Check conditions in Antigua, Dominica, and also Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.  I can't recall the others.

Edited by canderson

Unfortunately a lot of Canadians will now be considered unvaccinated and ineligible to sail since many of us have had mixed mRNA vaccines or a combination of AZ and and mRNA vaccine based on advice from our Canadian government.  

Last week prior to me making final payment on our November cruise I spoke with Celebrity and was told I could cruise as an “unvaccinated” passenger and would require additional testing which I was ok with even though I’m considered fully vaccinated in Canada.  Today when I called Celebrity to pay the second of my B2B I was told I don’t qualify  to sail based on the mixed mRNA vaccines.   

Edited by coldweathergirl
Posted before finished writing

7 hours ago, coldweathergirl said:

Unfortunately a lot of Canadians will now be considered unvaccinated and ineligible to sail since many of us have had mixed mRNA vaccines or a combination of AZ and and mRNA vaccine based on advice from our Canadian government.  

Last week prior to me making final payment on our November cruise I spoke with Celebrity and was told I could cruise as an “unvaccinated” passenger and would require additional testing which I was ok with even though I’m considered fully vaccinated in Canada.  Today when I called Celebrity to pay the second of my B2B I was told I don’t qualify  to sail based on the mixed mRNA vaccines.   

Not to divert the thread as there are a number on this Canadian mixing thing (we are in the same boat) but I just checked HAL as that is our next cruise in December (after cancelling Celebrity in Sept) and they accept mixed mRNA stating that they ARE accepted by the CDC. Odd. This is from HAL site.

For cruises departing the United States, the CDC require both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (each dose is from either Pfizer and Moderna.) No other combinations are considered fully vaccinated.

I believe Celebrity ( note, I said believe), that Celebrity has made a change to their vaccine policy just earlier this week.  As posted by Silkroad, their website states ALL guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.  It still says they will be at least 95% vaxed, which I assume allows for children under 12

Given Celebrity’s market is more adult in nature, I’m surprised they didn’t go NCL route and just go with 100% vaccinated sailings.   Maybe a political/PR move with CDC and Florida.   

5 minutes ago, TaxiSquad said:

I believe Celebrity ( note, I said believe), that Celebrity has made a change to their vaccine policy just earlier this week.  As posted by Silkroad, their website states ALL guests 12 and older must be fully vaccinated.  It still says they will be at least 95% vaxed, which I assume allows for children under 12

Given Celebrity’s market is more adult in nature, I’m surprised they didn’t go NCL route and just go with 100% vaccinated sailings.   Maybe a political/PR move with CDC and Florida.   

No, X realizes that there are families who sail with young children AND there is a 'finite' group of adult passengers who, for whatever reason are not be vaccinated which is part of the 5%.

... and the # which they agreed to do with the CDC.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

I haven't heard too many stories about this on Celebrity, but Carnival is doing the same thing. When you cruise is upcoming they re-iterate that only 5% of people can be non-vaccinated and if you want to be one of those 5% you have to file for an exemption. If they have 3,000 people sailing then they can grant 150 exemptions to children and unvaccinated adults. If you don't get an exemption you don't sail.

I do believe that Celebrity is asking you ahead of time if you are willing to show proof of vaccination. If you say no, then you go into the 5% pool. I don't know if they have run into more than 5% of their cruisers being unable/unwilling to show proof of vaccination. But I assume they will start cancelling reservations if they do....

46 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

No, X realizes that there are families who sail with young children AND there is a 'finite' group of adult passengers who, for whatever reason are not be vaccinated which is part of the 5%.

... and the # which they agreed to do with the CDC.

bon voyage

The Celebrity website and policy has changed.  Our TA notified us on Tuesday that they are now going with ALL adults vaxed.   5% limit for childr3n under 12. 

This  is a change from earlier.  We had been scheduled to sail on Edge on Aug 14 and my wife would have been defined as “ unvaccinated” as per CDC rules.   She was going to be allowed on that cruise but be subject to various restrictions and resting.  

With new rules, she would not be allowed at all. Similar to situation described by Coldweathergirl.  This change occurred on Tuesday, August 17.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

Which ports require 100% vaccinated?

11 hours ago, s0479 said:

A lot!  They are listed on Celebrity’s website.

I don't see any that require 100%. All of the ones I see listed only require vaccines for 12yo and over. This already jives with what X is doing on all of it's Caribbean cruises. I can't imagine X is going to move to 100% vaccinated.

Edited by RichYak
clarity

35 minutes ago, TaxiSquad said:

The Celebrity website and policy has changed.  Our TA notified us on Tuesday that they are now going with ALL adults vaxed.   5% limit for childr3n under 12. 

This  is a change from earlier.  We had been scheduled to sail on Edge on Aug 14 and my wife would have been defined as “ unvaccinated” as per CDC rules.   She was going to be allowed on that cruise but be subject to various restrictions and resting.  

With new rules, she would not be allowed at all. Similar to situation described by Coldweathergirl.  This change occurred on Tuesday, August 17.   

As of 09.15 est the policy has not been updated on X's website.

I will check again later today.

bon voyage

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

This is what I see on the FAQ:

"All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Celebrity Cruises will continue to abide by CDC guidance and require all guests, 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  Guests scheduled to sail aboard Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Summit out of South Florida must be vaccinated in order to sail. To comply with this requirement, guests ages 12 and older must provide documentation of full vaccination at the terminal as a condition for boarding."

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

bon voyage

It's itinerary specific, apparently.  See here, using the USVI as an example:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Ship itself to be denied entry.  Not just a matter of who can disembark at those islands.

It's a recent change, but not new today.

Edited by canderson
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 5waldos said:

It is really too early to worry about what they will require in April but still-  what is this 95% vaccinated?  Are they anticipating 5% children under age? This seems to be a very strange thing to me- how ever will they determine this? 

Well my guess is that by next April at least one or more COVID vaccines will likely be authorized (EUA) in the USA for children 5-11.  So that might change the picture a bit on the 95% /5% groups.  Stay tuned.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/18/1027035486/covid-vaccine-children-under-12-your-questions-answered

23 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is what I see on the FAQ:

"All sailings departing the U.S. are subject to guidance from the CDC. Celebrity Cruises will continue to abide by CDC guidance and require all guests, 12 years and older to be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  Guests scheduled to sail aboard Celebrity Edge, Celebrity Equinox or Celebrity Summit out of South Florida must be vaccinated in order to sail. To comply with this requirement, guests ages 12 and older must provide documentation of full vaccination at the terminal as a condition for boarding."

... from X's website, too:

Ready to Sail?

From bow to stern, we’re taking extraordinary measures to keep you Healthy at Sea. We’re sailing at reduced capacity to provide more space for more luxury and following CDC guidelines we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated.

bon voyage

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

... from X's website, too:

Ready to Sail?

From bow to stern, we’re taking extraordinary measures to keep you Healthy at Sea. We’re sailing at reduced capacity to provide more space for more luxury and following CDC guidelines we will sail with all crew vaccinated and at least 95% of guests will be fully vaccinated.

bon voyage

Nothing here conflicts with what I posted earlier. It's just less detailed.

• Thanks 1