Royal up status just flipped, thought we were going to win!

5 hours ago, djefferis said:

Again - their ship, their program - how they run it remains a “trade secret” - just making a comment in my observations and those others have posted. 

They have supposedly contracted out to a 3rd party - who knows what compensating factors RCL instructs them to use (bidder Crown & Anchor status, age, location, etc) - I am 100 positive though that RCL has studied who is the most profitable consumer and what criteria they fall within and what makes them spend more. 

If “giving” an upgrade for less to someone shows statistically they will spend more on higher profit margin things - you can be sure RCL will work to upgrade those passengers.

And OP - keep in mind the difference between a Balcony and JS is not like that of a regular suite. Yes - you get a bathtub, a walk in closet and a wider balcony space and Coastal Kitchen for dinner - but no suite lounge, no double points and not like your getting a room that’s double the size - more like 15% bigger (it’s more  on paper - but the bath and closet take up alot of that).

Whatever you get - I’m sure you’ll be happy. 

Have you stayed in a JS. The room is massively larger. Mainly wider which open up the room 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

@John&LaLa says otherwise and that policy has been reported more official than the JS exclusion.

I honestly see photos every day of Pins eating in CK on Ovation, Odyssey,  and Allure.

And no problems gettin in for breakfast and lunch. I don't have any knowledge on JS's

• Like 1

I was referring to no double points in JS IF you got it with Royal up.  If you paid for a JS you do get the extra points.  I have seen posts about the JS's not allowed to dine in CK.  That is why we called Royal to verify.  We said we don't see that on the website and they said it will come in a letter.  I just wanted to let someone know not to count on it if they paid extra for a JS expecting to get in.  If they are lucky and can still eat dinner in CK, I am happy for them.

2 hours ago, dasi11 said:

I have seen posts about the JS's not allowed to dine in CK.  That is why we called Royal to verify.  We said we don't see that on the website and they said it will come in a letter. 

Have you emailed the Suite Concierge on board Anthem? I would trust their answer more than anything I heard from the 1-800#.  I assume you have not received the letter they mentioned yet?

5 minutes ago, CanuckCurlers said:

Boarding day! Royal up still shows upgrade unavailable for the Jr. Suite (not expired) and pending for the other two. They were expired in the past. So confused, just gonna roll the dice when we get to the terminal!

Have a great cruise! Good luck with the upgrade and please let us know how it turns out😊

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2021 at 9:23 AM, CanuckCurlers said:

Boarding day! Royal up still shows upgrade unavailable for the Jr. Suite (not expired) and pending for the other two. They were expired in the past. So confused, just gonna roll the dice when we get to the terminal!

How did it turn out?  This same thing just happened to us. 10 days before cruise 5 changed to expired and 1 stayed pending and everything locked no modifications allowed.  All good signs I thought I had read but never got a charge or acceptance email. Then 3 days before sail the one pending changed to unavailable and everything else went back to pending. But it’s like no one has ever looked at it again at Royal up Bc it’s day before cruise with everything still pending and able to modify again. No rejection email either.  

On 8/21/2021 at 12:02 AM, djefferis said:

Keep in mind the bids seem to reflect what the original fare paid was - so let’s say your minimum was $150 a person and you bid $300 ($600) total. 

If your fare was $2k to start (no idea of course - just using round numbers to demonstrate) - you are effectively bidding $2600 on the upgrade $2k base and $600 additional.

If someone who paid $2500 had a minimum bid of $50 ($100 per cabin) and bid $51 - they would have the higher offer ($2602 vs your $2600).

I would also say don’t up hope yet too - a lot of weirdness with RoyalUp lately

It makes NO SENSE to run the program that way.

They already have your originally booked fare.

They are looking to maximize income (that is what companies do).  So they will take the highest bid for the upgrade.   If they have bids at $1000, they will take those over $900 bids, no matter what the original fare is. 

If several people bid the maximum (more than cabins available), there are likely other factors to pick and choose.  It may be, like the airlines, first come, first served.  The earliest bid gets the upgrade.  Or they could look at C&A points and reward the more frequent cruisers.

Or, they could look at the total lifetime spending on cruises.  Reward people who cruise less, but in higher priced cabins.

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

What are the chances of an upgrade with a minimum bid? Has anyone had any luck?

For Grandeur I bid the minimum bid + $10 to go from Junior Suite to Grand Suite and I won my bid and got the upgrade.  Granted, this is the oldest ship in the fleet and capacity is probably really low because we are sailing out of Barbados and there are lots of restrictions with tours and a revised itinerary, but still, this proves that minimum bids can win in some situations.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:15 AM, dasi11 said:

We have a 1 royal, 3 grands and 2 junior suits booked on Anthem.  2 people in each room.  We have confirmed with RCL that the junior suites will not be able to join us in CK.  NO WAY they can join us for dinner.  We may cancel all the reservations since we want to eat together every evening for dinner in CK.  They have told us we will not be accommodated!  Everyone single person is D+ also.  More than 300 points at least for each person.  Still a no go.  Final payment is coming up quickly and we are still not sure what to do.  I am in a Grand and I think we will give it up by switching the name on the reservation to one of the JS reservations but that still leaves one couple out.  We checked and there are no suites available to upgrade at any price from the JS's.

D+ status is irrelevant.  It is either a perk (based on availability on a given night) or it isn’t.  I wouldn’t expect them to give exceptions to suite perks based on each person’s varying C&A point totals.   

I imagine JS will have a similar level of access to the CK as things progress towards more normal times.   Do we know from others onboard the CK is out for JS.  I wouldn’t trust csr.   

1 hour ago, twobeautifulgirls said:

What are the chances of an upgrade with a minimum bid? Has anyone had any luck?

We have gone from a GS to an Owner's Panoramic Suite for minimum bid on an OS. We didn't bid on the OPS , which is Star class but they upgraded us to it anyway We were shocked because the bid was $400. This was on Allure. It was a really nice cruise.

We have also had strong bids and not been Upped.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2021 at 10:23 AM, CanuckCurlers said:

what happened??? I'm getting this 'status flipped' as well and I'm desperate to know if I'll get the upgrade or not!!! lol

On 8/20/2021 at 6:53 PM, CanuckCurlers said:

Wife and I are on Indy Sunday for our 20 month delayed honeymoon, bid 150 per person over minimum (moderate bid) for a Junior suite from our balcony. Also bid on 2 other rooms, but not as aggressive, both of those showed expired, but JS showed pending. Then at 6 pm CT, Junior suite shows “upgrade unavailable” but the other 2 show pending again. 

Wednesday there were 25 JS available, today there are 0, there is no way they sold 25 JS’s in 2 days at 5300 for 2 people. 

Hope it is a fluke, would love a JS for our Honeymoon! 

any other examples of that happening? 

Did you bid the max?