The crew

MoTex

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I actually probably would take and use it from a guest who left it behind, whose name was on file, who handed me a Benjamin on her way out the door, and if I was hard up for conditioner to begin with. I can’t imagine why someone would tip me that well but then leave adulterated conditioner behind. I’m not very squeamish about something like this.

I get the potential “ick” factor, however and wouldn’t (and didn’t) assume someone else would have wanted it. I took it with me and it’s in my dad’s guest bathroom. I didn’t want it thrown away and I will use it when I visit. 

I wouldn’t, however, bring them a care package of new products of my random choosing either. I just think it’s weird to choose for them among all the options out there. Here’s some Zest and some Tresemme and some Crest! Oh great, I use Dove and Head and Shoulders and Colgate, but thanks anyway.

Or think to myself when someone "gifts" me deodorant, soap and toothpaste..."do I stink?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

well, upon hearing somewhere that they needed items i did purchase a variety of toiletries but i planned on just asking the steward if they knew of anyone who could use them and, if not , i would take them home when i left...if i didn't see him/her in person i was going to leave a note with the bag. 

now that i have heard of the crew fund i'll look into that. i just donated a week of leave time to a co-worker who can't work right now because of his ailing mother but only after i overheard our timekeeper mentioning he had no more leave and last cruise we gave our steward $75 by way of guest services because his mother passed away during the cruise, which we only found out because he skipped our cabin 2 days straight and we went to complain.  most people i know do what they can to help others in need, it's knowing what exactly is needed that is the problem.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 3:02 AM, Moviela said:

I am consistently amazed and proud of the heart felt generosity of cruise ship passengers. Now really Pringles and noodles? Please express your thanks with a warm smile and cash. The crew are people like you and I and capable of spending their money wisely. The "automatic gratuities" added to your account are fair, and distributed to the many people who are not in guest facing roles, yet make your voyage comfortable. 

Exactly. Leave your chips at home. A nice wad of cash has always been well received. 

• Like 2

I believe the question was whether to leave items IN ADDITION TO CASH

Depending on itinerary, crew can't get off, so I think some small items would be appreciated.  If your crew member can't use it, they can pass on to someone who will.

2 hours ago, bethtex said:

I believe the question was whether to leave items IN ADDITION TO CASH

Depending on itinerary, crew can't get off, so I think some small items would be appreciated.  If your crew member can't use it, they can pass on to someone who will.

Yeah, people say that but subtract the cost of the "gift" from the tip and crew are left to dispose of something they didn't want.  That disposal does have a cost to it, also.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got off the Miracle today Staff WAS allowed to get off the Ship during our sailing..

I heard they had to stay onboard by a guest on the last sea day... .I had seen several team Members in Town in all three ports after I pointed that out to him, he said oh they were just told last night. not sure how reliable if at all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodey said:

Just got off the Miracle today Staff WAS allowed to get off the Ship during our sailing..

I heard they had to stay onboard by a guest on the last sea day... .I had seen several team Members in Town in all three ports after I pointed that out to him, he said oh they were just told last night. not sure how reliable if at all

The crew was also off at all ports on my Miracle sailing on 8/10

• Thanks 1

Since crew cabin space is limited and I don’t know their preferences for toiletries I would rather not load them up with materials they may or may not want or need. I also don’t want them to also then find homes for the materials they don’t want. 

Instead, I tip.  Generously. 

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 12:55 AM, ronrythm said:

So this one crew member likes Pringles? For that, you’re going to assume they all like Pringles? And that’s the problem with any food item; everyone has different tastes, no one food is everyone favorite. Including chocolate. If they have money, they can definitely buy what they like. Or send it home. They can do what is important to them.

On 8/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, sanmarcosman said:

This is true and many cultures don't care for American chocolate in particular. Most American chocolate is manufactured with soy lecithin. "Soy lecithin is an ingredient used by commercial/industrial chocolate makers, to keep chocolate moving through their pipes. It's an industrial waste product made from the sludge left after crude soy oil is processed with hexane and acetone." Copyright Valerie Beck - in Chocolate Uplift 2014.

We give cash and trust them to know what they want to do with it. 

I liked Pringles when I was a kid.  They changed and now they leave a film on the roof of my mouth.  Pretty disgusting.  Also agree that Hershey's chocolate is inferior to Lindt, See's, EUROPEAN Nestle, and other European chocolates.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, Silent Penguin said:

If one struggles with feeling like cash is crass (like someone I know who is offended by gift cards), you could give both, a small gift and cash.  The recipient can keep both or whichever they value most. 

I don't think a worker in the service industry thinks of cash given by a customer as a "gift"; It's additional income, pure and simple. I wouldn't want my employer to start paying me in shampoo and candy bars. Have trouble imagining that cruise employees would prefer those to cash. Especially since many are on the ship to make money to send home to their families. 

• Like 6

On 8/24/2021 at 6:56 AM, sparks1093 said:

What if the bottle of shampoo they can buy is $10? I can see both sides of this argument and believe that @chengkg75, as always, has the best of both worlds. If you are really concerned about this make a donation to the crew welfare fund. 

I'm just saying that cash is fungible and can be used for anything they want. If you give them Vidal Sassoon and they'd rather have VO5. Or if you give them Colgate but they'd rather have Crest. Whereas if you give them $5 (or just the automatic gratuities that are already paid to them) then they can use that money to buy what they need or want, or can send that money back to their family onshore.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I'm just saying that cash is fungible and can be used for anything they want. If you give them Vidal Sassoon and they'd rather have VO5. Or if you give them Colgate but they'd rather have Crest. Whereas if you give them $5 (or just the automatic gratuities that are already paid to them) then they can use that money to buy what they need or want, or can send that money back to their family onshore.

I was being a wise guy and I totally get it, but do agree with cheng that if someone does want to help out the crew in this regard (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) then a donation to the crew welfare fund is the best way to go. I usually leave the steward and waitstaff something extra, but a donation to the welfare fund would help other crew members out as well.