First test cruise out of NYC since March of 2020...

PistolPete13

Hello my Norwegian friends, this is Pete, the crazy guy on Staten Island that went on a photo tear in 2019 documenting all the ships leaving NY harbor.

Tonight the first cruise since March of 2020 left NY Harbor on the heels of a major storm/hurricane.  It wasn't a Norwegian ship, but the Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas.  Probably the largest cruise ship to ever dock in the NY Tristate area.  To fit under the Verrazano Bridge, the smoke stacks had to be lowered!

I believe the first Norwegian ship to leave from NY is the Breakaway next month on 9/26.

I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to restarting my ship photos again!

ZE6_9163.jpg

ZE6_8859.jpg

ZE6_9178.jpg

ZE6_9200.jpg

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i always wanted to try sailing with Royal. If my breakaway cruise in October gets canceled then i guess i should jump ship to try sailing with Royal in October

Same here.  They have some interesting eastern Caribbean sailings out of Bayonne this winter but the ever changing Covid testing requirements from all the countries has me hesitant to commit to anything.  

Love the pictures!! Thank you for posting here on the NCL board.

I am so excited to see any ships sailing out of the NY/NJ area. I really want to go on Oasis, but feel better about NCLs Covid protocols. I also really like Breakaway, but haven't been on it since the inaugural season. We went on it for my 50th birthday on the first or second full week trip out of NY. It was awesome watching fireworks from Spice H2O, and hanging out with some of the Rockettes. My husband enjoyed walking the plank and going down the drop slide. It was fun to see how close we came to the Verrazano as well!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Love the pictures!! Thank you for posting here on the NCL board.

I am so excited to see any ships sailing out of the NY/NJ area. I really want to go on Oasis, but feel better about NCLs Covid protocols. I also really like Breakaway, but haven't been on it since the inaugural season. We went on it for my 50th birthday on the first or second full week trip out of NY. It was awesome watching fireworks from Spice H2O, and hanging out with some of the Rockettes. My husband enjoyed walking the plank and going down the drop slide. It was fun to see how close we came to the Verrazano as well!

The fireworks ended years ago, just in case you thought they still had them

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The fireworks ended years ago, just in case you thought they still had them

I did know that there are no more fireworks, thank you. It is good that you pointed it out so that others would not expect them. I was just having a little nostalgia for the good old days. 🙂 One issue I did notice with the fireworks was that the residue/ashes from them made a mess of the Spice H2O water feature.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trex-de said:

I can’t wait to see photos of the Breakaway when she gets there.  Hopefully soon since her first paying voyage is Sept 26. 

Both the Oasis and Breakaway are scheduled to leave NYC at 4PM that day.  If the weather of good, I plan to be out there snapping photos again.  Hopefully they both leave on time!

• Like 3