The Daily for Wednesday August 25, 2021

richwmn

Good morning all!

Another wakeful night, and then was awakened at 6:30 by the yard waste trucks coming through.  I'm sure I'll make it through the day, nothing pressing on the agenda and that helps!

I've never been to Talkeetna, it looks so quaint and scenic -- thank you to all who are posting photos!  We did do the Land/Sea with HAL in 2019 but I think the closest we came to Talkeetna was when we stopped by Susan Butcher's home (where her widower still raises and trains dogs).  Not real sure how close we were though, maybe not close at all!   Wish we could have gone to Talkeetna.

It usually takes me a few hours before I'm ready to kiss and make up, lol -- but I always do.

Not a fan of banana splits, I would much rather have a hot fudge sundae if there's a choice.

Will pass on the wine and meal.  I like cauliflower in smaller amounts 😉

We're huge fans of National Parks, when our DD was a teenager one of her friends nicknamed us the "National Park Family" 😆  We have several games and puzzles about National Parks, and have been to 25 of the 63.  Of course our favorite is Yellowstone, where we go every 1-2 years when at all possible. 

• Like 23

Good morning Dailyites.  Thanks Rich for hanging in there this morning when CC decided to hiccup. 

I had an early haircut, market and sweet husband wanted to go to breakfast. He's been napping in his chair since I returned, so it may be lunch. Allen's favorite prosecco is La Marca. Not crazy for the drink of the day or the meal. 

A beautiful morning to sit outside and bird watch. Our cardinals are very happy. Hoping the construction across the street finishes as promised in December. These are the last 12 homes in our neighborhood. The new construction will be a few blocks away and hopefully we won't hear a dozen nail guns going off all day. 

Prayers for all our Daily-ites and their families and friends. Cheers and Blessings!

• Like 19

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

Some disturbing news from a family member....both are unvaccinated and a quack recommendation was to take Ivermectin. Now, I've heard everything!

I had to look up info about today's port and read the following: The tiny, funky hamlet of Talkeetna is straight out of many visitors' mental picture of life in small-town Alaska.

🙏Prayers to all in need. 😷

Katie 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is Kiss and Make Up Day, National Banana Split Day, and National Park Service Founders Day(US)

Hooray, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE Founders Day - Thank you for sharing!  I retired from the Park Service and always felt blessed to work in a variety of parks.  🐻  And many parks have free admission today.....

I might have to stir up a small disagreement with the hubby, since it is K&MUD!  😍

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Hooray, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE Founders Day - Thank you for sharing!  I retired from the Park Service and always felt blessed to work in a variety of parks.  🐻  And many parks have free admission today.....

I might have to stir up a small disagreement with the hubby, since it is K&MUD!  😍

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 11

It just popped into my head that earlier I said my grandfather worked for the National Park Service, but I had that wrong.  Fire spotters work for the National Forest Service.  He lived in the Mark Twain National Forest.  Sorry about the confusion!🤔

As a young girl we got to visit the tower he worked on and climb up the ladder to the little cabin at the top.  I remember thinking how far you could see from that spot, which was the purpose of it being placed there.  In addition to that grandpa was a farmer and raised Black Angus cattle.

• Like 18

36 minutes ago, garlictown said:

Some disturbing news from a family member....both are unvaccinated and a quack recommendation was to take Ivermectin. Now, I've heard everything!

They do know what that is used for, right? (Parasites and heartworm in dogs)   Are they getting spayed and neutered too 🤣. At least dogs have more reasonable rules 😉 

D992201F-E2A8-4FEE-A9B7-7C5FD2ED8E2B.jpeg.b284bb45feda3b8b80ddcb70fae73054.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, garlictown said:

@kazu....this is the same quack who told these relatives not to get the vaccine and now they both have tested positive for Covid this week. The PHARMACIST refused to fill the prescription for Ivermectin thank goodness. 

Yikes 😱. Thankful that the pharmacist was a good one 👍 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Another wakeful night, and then was awakened at 6:30 by the yard waste trucks coming through.  I'm sure I'll make it through the day, nothing pressing on the agenda and that helps!

I've never been to Talkeetna, it looks so quaint and scenic -- thank you to all who are posting photos!  We did do the Land/Sea with HAL in 2019 but I think the closest we came to Talkeetna was when we stopped by Susan Butcher's home (where her widower still raises and trains dogs).  Not real sure how close we were though, maybe not close at all!   Wish we could have gone to Talkeetna.

It usually takes me a few hours before I'm ready to kiss and make up, lol -- but I always do.

Not a fan of banana splits, I would much rather have a hot fudge sundae if there's a choice.

Will pass on the wine and meal.  I like cauliflower in smaller amounts 😉

We're huge fans of National Parks, when our DD was a teenager one of her friends nicknamed us the "National Park Family" 😆  We have several games and puzzles about National Parks, and have been to 25 of the 63.  Of course our favorite is Yellowstone, where we go every 1-2 years when at all possible. 

Exactly what I was thinking!  I always went for the hot fudge sundaes, the bananas always looked overripe, I prefer them slightly underripe.  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, garlictown said:

@kazu....this is the same quack who told these relatives not to get the vaccine and now they both have tested positive for Covid this week. The PHARMACIST refused to fill the prescription for Ivermectin thank goodness. 

@kazu

@garlictown

At least all of you don't have family members spouting imaginary the CIA is out to get us stories.  We got a couple tinfoil hat people among us, they're convinced big foot and mermaids exist.🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday!  Two days before we fly to Seattle!

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers for those on the Care list. 

I hate bananas so will pass on the banana split but might have vanilla ice cream instead. Yay for National Parks. I’ll pass on the meal suggestion. Looking forward to Roy’s alternative. I’ll have to look for the little bottles of the Processco @ger_77likes, maybe Target has them. 

I have seen Talkeetna on Food Network and the Travel Channel. It’s been called the gateway to Danali. I understand the restaurants are good and one serves reindeer burgers. I’d love to visit someday. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

Good morning, all! Apologies for missing two days here. Both mornings just kind of took off before I was ready for them, and there was no catching up after that. Kiss and Make Up, Banana Splits, and National Parks sound like a good combo. I can even make banana splits today.

Todays meal sounds good, although more of a side dish. I’ve done a whole roast cauliflower where the space inside the cauliflower is stuffed with a meat mixture. It was sliced into wedges at the table for serving. It was a big hit!

Ive been to Alaska, but not this port. Thank you to all,for,the pictures!

DD flys back to Taiwan one week from today. The summer has just flown by! She is now fully vaccinated, which is very rare in Taiwan due to lack of vaccine. This will be huge. There are so many countries where vaccine is just not available. It is so easy to forget the level of ‘vaccine privilege’ we have in North America, where being vaccinated is a matter of deigning to accept the shot or not and in some regions choosing between brands of vaccine as we personally wish. 
We have a beautiful day forecast today, and rain forecast tomorrow. DH and I are assembling a shed we got from Costco while everything is still dry. The summer has been so dry we’ve gotten careless about leaving things out uncovered. This will,give us extra storage space.

Happy Wednesday, although it would be happier still aboard a BHB!

D2100E82-4E2F-4D2C-B832-171ABB39944E.thumb.jpeg.a5141e969a51f257a0760bfb5eddf5c7.jpeg

• Like 22

Back from the vet. Poor Fritz has an infected tooth and is now on antibiotics. He was not a happy camper, even peanut butter on a stick from his favorite tech was not enough to make up for it.  He should have two teeth removed, but he is on phenobarbital for seizures and anesthesia can make the seizures worse. So we will just deal. He hasn’t lost his appetite (one of his nicknames-chunky monkey).

I have been to Talkeetna 5 times (although 3 times we were just stopped at the station on the train, so that doesn’t really count). The other two times were road trips, once on the bus, once in our RV. I have no decent pictures because both times it was rainy and foggy and nasty. In fact on our RV trip we practically bottomed out in a huge pothole that we didn’t see because it was filled with muddy water. What I could see of Talkeetna through the rain looked interesting.

Off for a haircut in a bit.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

Edited by St. Louis Sal
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

I would die in 97% humidity now, and I grew up in Illinois and lived in Georgia, so I'm no stranger to it.  Can't tolerate heat since all my neuro issues started.

Here in St Louis this morning it is 95 degrees, but feels like 107!  Our humidity is ONLY 52%. Of course we have a heat advisory. 

Sal

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Good morning to all. I am about to head out to the shelter to sign checks and talk to my favorite birds. We are still waiting on the their blood tests. Weather here is hot during the days (high 80's) and chilly at night (low to mid 40's). Fall is coming.

Will pass on the meal and also the drinks. And I have not been to that  part of Alaska although it looks really interesting. Another for the bucket list.

Got the results of the biopsy on my cheek and I do have a low grade shallow melanoma. All those summers in the sun with students doing archaeology field work is catching up with me. I did use sun screen and wore a hat, but my Scots-Irish ancestry seems to have worked against me.  I am scheduled to have it removed next Wednesday. Not really necessary to do it that fast but the Dr. had an opening and next appointment would be in October. May as well get it over with. I hate to have things hanging over my head. Something to look forward to - not. Tonight I have a String Band event to go to... it benefits the Humane Society. Glad I will not be sporting a bandage for that.

I would so much rather be cruising. Enjoy Alaska for me all of you who are going.

Susan

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

23 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Back from the vet. Poor Fritz has an infected tooth and is now on antibiotics. He was not a happy camper, even peanut butter on a stick from his favorite tech was not enough to make up for it.  He should have two teeth removed, but he is on phenobarbital for seizures and anesthesia can make the seizures worse. So we will just deal. He hasn’t lost his appetite (one of his nicknames-chunky monkey).

I have been to Talkeetna 5 times (although 3 times we were just stopped at the station on the train, so that doesn’t really count). The other two times were road trips, once on the bus, once in our RV. I have no decent pictures because both times it was rainy and foggy and nasty. In fact on our RV trip we practically bottomed out in a huge pothole that we didn’t see because it was filled with muddy water. What I could see of Talkeetna through the rain looked interesting.

Off for a haircut in a bit.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

Oh my gosh, how terrible, how old is Fritz?  Our vet first recommended a couple teeth get pulled, but a 2nd opinion said no and that we can wait, hope waiting doesn't lead to this 😲🙏

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday!  Two days before we fly to Seattle!

I'm so excited for you!    About how long before your cruise did you get that upsell offer?

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Here in St Louis this morning it is 95 degrees, but feels like 107!  Our humidity is ONLY 52%. Of course we have a heat advisory. 

Sal

Yuck.  I used to live in Kansas City when I worked in the rail yards and I don't miss that because we had to work in all weather, night and day, blizzards and severe thunderstorms, -5 to 105....it was brutal.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, atexsix said:

they're convinced big foot and mermaids exist

I have seen Bigfoot at the Espresso Chalet in Index, WA. There is also a Mermaid Museum between Westport and Aberdeen. And don't forget the scientific evidence of the existence of mermaids found in the "Ye Olde Curiosity Shop" in Seattle. They have a mermaid (mer-monster) skeleton.

bigfoot.jpg.79f190cafc6b16fdcc0180b69bf575fb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 7