Who do you tip in cash?

Petrocelli

I am a complete newbie who has traveled alot, but at age 61, I have never been on a cruise.  I'm going to Alaska next year on the Konigsdam.

I understand there is a service charge added to my bill.  But I am not sure who it is customary to tip beyond that.  Like when room service comes, do you give the crew member a couple bucks?  Do you ever give cash to waiters at restaurants?  Or is everything included?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

We don’t eat in the MDR but we usually tip drink waiters in the lounges, breakfast cooks in the Lido and give our cabin stewards extra cash. Many people don’t tip anyone.

How much do you tip a drink waiter or a cabin steward?  Do you tip room service when they bring food?

3 minutes ago, Petrocelli said:

Do you tip room service when they bring food?

We tip if we request ice.. the amount of tip depends on time of day& how much they bring us .. It's all relative to the function.

That said we also don't tip if service is not to standard. (that rarely happens_)

Edited by rucrazy
  • Like 1

We usually give the drink waiters $2 for our 2 drinks each time ( we bring lots of singles) and leave at least $20 extra for each of our room stewards (more for longer cruises). $10-20 for Lido cooks who do special breakfast orders at egg stations.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

We tip any crew member for outstanding service.. regardless of where they may serve us!

I am an over tipper.  I tip pretty much everyone.  (I think it is a trait of being an urban Italian-American, but that's another post.)  If anyone shows up from room service, I usually give them $5 at least.  If someone serves me a drink, that's $1 per drink.  I give the person who cleans my room $5-$10 a day (depending on the City).  

Are these numbers about right?  Do you also tip waiters and waitresses at dinner?  If so, how much?

Thanks!

Edited by Petrocelli
  • Like 3

We tend to tip our cabin stewards, MDR waiters, room service, specialty dining staff (now there is an added gratuity for specialty dining which was there before though) bar staff - basically anyone who gives us exceptional service.

How much we give depends on the level of service, etc.  

Like you if we are in a hotel I leave the same amount you do for the maid/housekeeping staff but gratuities are not included in my cost of staying at the hotel.  The crew incentive is on board, so anything you give is over and above the Crew Incentive / HSC, tips or whatever you choose to call it.  

As has been said, a number do not give anything extra.  I can assure you that whatever you choose to give will be most appreciated with a warm smile.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petrocelli said:

I have never been on a cruise, so I have no idea of the etiquette.  Are my numbers overly generous?

I think some will consider it generous as these tips are mostly additional tips.

When you sail on HAL your onboard account will automatically be charged $15.50 per person per day for a non-suite cabin and $17.00 per person per day for a suite cabin for a Crew Incentive Charge (Tip/Gratuity).  Most cabins have double occupancy so there will be an automatic charge of $31.00 - $34.00 per day for tips.

In addition to this, a 18% gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, Bar retail items, Speciality Restaurant surcharges, and any a la carte menu item purchases.  

So this means that for most passengers sailing you are more than likely already paying tips throughout your cruise without the need of adding anything extra to it.  Of course it is your choice should you want to pay extra - just make sure you understand fully when you are paying a tip already and when you are paying an additional tip.

• Like 2

Fellow Italian-American over tipper here! I usually tip $3-5 for room service depending on how much stuff we ordered, $1-2 per drink at any bar on ship, $40-100 for my room steward at the end of the week, plus another $20-40 for their assistant if there is one. This depends on whether I was alone or with my husband and how messy/needy we were. $20-100 for MDR waiter + assistant as a table, depending on the size of our group. When we went with my toddler niece who made a huge mess at every meal we tipped about $200 to our waiter and another hundred to his assistant for our table of 8. I'll sometimes also give $20 on the last night too a favorite bar tender or other staff if we interacted a lot. Sometimes I'll do $20 on the first night if I think I'll be spending a lot of time at a particular bar. This is in addition to the added automatic gratuities.

Importantly, I'm also a very awkward tipper and I get super anxious and flustered about it. I'm sure lots of folks will disagree with this approach but that's what I tend to do. Your post resonated with me! 

Edited by jennybug5
  • Like 3

It sounds like if I get just $100 in $1 bills I can be like Ray Liotta entering the Copacabana in Good Fellas.  (This is how Italian Americans customarily tip.)   This will be me at the Pinnacle Grill in 317 days.

Edited by Petrocelli
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

52 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

In addition to this, a 18% gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, Bar retail items, Specialty Restaurant surcharges, and any a la carte menu item purchases.  

Just so I understand this... So I have the "Have it all package" which includes drinks and gratuities.  So If I order a $10 beer, does the bartender actually get $1.80?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petrocelli said:

Just so I understand this... So I have the "Have it all package" which includes drinks and gratuities.  So If I order a $10 beer, does the bartender actually get $1.80?

YES. 🙂 

• Like 2

Now that the Specialty dining areas are adding an 18% gratuity, I likely will no longer tip there, unless the service is "over and above".  Same has always been the case for other areas - bars, MDR, room stewards, etc.

• Like 4

For room service at breakfast, I tip $2-3 because I like to have lots of marmalade, tea in a pot that doesn't smell like coffee, and an extra spoon. At happy hours, I tip an extra dollar. If the room steward has been superb, I leave $2/day; $1/day if merely good.

I tip when someone caters to my quirks!