Alaska Muse 8/29

highplanesdrifters

First, A Big THANK YOU to Lois for all the valuable info she has provided on the current Muse cruise.  I'll try and follow in her footsteps with updates.

We are not sure what to expect at tomorrow's boarding. Our TA tells us that SS IT systems will most likely be out until next week. She is not sure what info they will  or will not have.  Our merry band of cohorts will head over with a positive mental attitude and fingers crossed.

In the meantime a little Chihuly!

20210828_123421.jpg

20210828_122002.jpg

20210828_121150.jpg

20210828_120353.jpg

20210828_122742.jpg

20210828_123537.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

First, A Big THANK YOU to Lois for all the valuable info she has provided on the current Muse cruise.  I'll try and follow in her footsteps with updates.

We are not sure what to expect at tomorrow's boarding. Our TA tells us that SS IT systems will most likely be out until next week. She is not sure what info they will  or will not have.  Our merry band of cohorts will head over with a positive mental attitude and fingers crossed.

In the meantime a little Chihuly!

20210828_123421.jpg

20210828_122002.jpg

20210828_121150.jpg

20210828_120353.jpg

20210828_122742.jpg

20210828_123537.jpg

have met him and seen several of his exhibits.  much of his work is done by his students which he takes credit for. as had many other artists have done. nevertheless they are spectacular .

I, too, am sitting in Seattle waiting to wander down to Pier 66 and hoping that boarding will not be too difficult.

Whilst I can't wait to actually be back on board after such a long hiatus, I never enjoy the actual process of checking in and boarding, and now with a lateral flow test and barely (not?) functioning computers to overcome, that first champagne on the Pool Deck will (oh pleeeease) taste all the more magical.

And, indeed, thanks to Lois for her helpful observations.

• Like 2

Hi friends😀glad to help! Hope all of you have a wonderful cruise. I am sitting at the gate at the airport. I get home tonight at 11:15.

Now I have a request back to whoever would help me😀 and tell Rico a big hello and tell him thank you for making it a really fantastic cruise😀 It truly was the first time in many years (for me) that the CD made a difference-in a positive way. I hope I can sail with him again.

• Like 2

We have enjoyed delightful weather in Seattle. Had a lovely stay at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Quiet and safe with a Whole Foods around the corner. Dinner last night with local friends at Serafina in Capitol Hill. Great cocktails and Truffled Cavatelli.  Off to Pier 66 shortly. See you there Jollyjones! I too will be savouring those first bubbles.

As for this thread...hijackers welcome.

20210828_195811.jpg

20210828_182305.jpg

20210828_172527.jpg

20210828_164711.jpg

20210828_164734.jpg

20210829_094226.jpg

• Like 6

We are also counting the hours before we board today! Anxious to pass the antigen test, there are 5 of us and fingers are crossed. I learned there are 212 passengers on this sailing, but several no shows at the airport. Doesn’t mean much, as Tom and I were no shows:). We decided to fly in on Friday, just to avoid any possible flight delays on Saturday. Unfortunately we failed in our attempts to inform Silversea of the change.

I would also like to add my thanks to Lois and others who gave us insight on what to expect. So appreciated!

• Like 3

An interesting and long  boarding process today. We arrived at the cruise terminal at 2pm and finally onboard at 4pm, the new testing process was very slow with only three testing stations. It was “shift forward by a couple of chairs” for an hour and a half. Tested. Wait 25 minutes for results. Then onto the ship. I’m sure they will improve the process for the next cruise. But we are here now, our first Silversea experience, and loving it so far! 216 passengers. It’s unfair to compare to any previous cruise as there is a 2-1 staff to passenger ratio. They are all over us trying to help. Our butler Ram is amazing thus far. Dinner at Atlantide was fabulous. The only onboard hiccup has to do with the IT problems. I had booked spa appointments but none were transmitted by corporate. And was told the manicurist is in quarantine (related to the shift from green to yellow CDC status?). But I feel a huge “ahhhhhh” just being back on the water. And so grateful to be here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Certainly wasn't the best embarkation experience altho' most of the blame must fall on the (presumably) subcontractors doing the lateral flow tests - they were not organised in time and it was tedious and frustrating.

Then I felt like I was wandering around clutching sheaves of supposedly important papers that nobody wanted to see in the end. 

BUT ... so great to be back on a SHIP!!!!

Today is a sea day so looking forward to taking a deep breath and settling in and putting the rushed and not-terribly-pleasant afternoon/evening of yesterday behind me.

Trivia is happening twice today - 11am and 4.45pm - I wonder how it will be with so few pax. I wonder if I will be able to get on a good team. I guess that's one of the first trivia questions ...

The enrichment lecturer is Steven Rivellino, a Broadway producer - I suppose he has all the time in the world at the moment given the state of Broadway ... His topic this afternoon is Follow the Money ...

Captain Marco Sangiacomo's Cocktail Reception this evening - dress informal/formal optional. Both formal nights are informal/formal optional.

PS Preludio sandal man is here - er, it's not really sandal weather, it's Alaska ...

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the excellent on board report Jolly.

If you get the chance, would very much like to pass Ida and Wes's warm regards along to Captain Marco--thanks in advance.

Hi Jolly, hope you have a great cruise. We had 170 pax and many folks played both trivia sessions every day. It was a lot of fun! My team won multiple times😀

Our crew of 4 are are also onboard! I echo the same boarding sentiments of jollyjones and mungojerrie. Dropped luggage off at 1:30, boarded at 3:10. Our documents were checked six times. Think stations of the cross run by 1950's Soviet Union. There was social distancing through most the process except for the 8x10 closet where 3 technicians swabbed away in tight quarters with no privacy. Three in the party were barely swabbed at all and one queried after the swab where he was to be swabbed, thats how light it was. I unfortunately got the roto router. After the light swabs we joked that the the testing vendor promised no positive results. I too suspect things will improve for the next boarding.

Muster drill was pushed to 6pm. Barely time to freshen up and be ready for sail away cocktails.  Oh the humanity.  SS still suffering from IT glitches. 

Like so many others, we have had 6 cruises canceled due to Covid. Last week we canceled Seabourn Greece in late September and swapped it for  Silversea Alaska. A bit of scrambling ensued.   The Alaska bird in the hand felt much better than the two in the bush Greece.  Delta, fires, Seabourn moving the testing goalposts, and EU threatening closure all played a role. We will have time to rebook Greece when we return from Alaska, so who knows!  This is our first time on the Muse although we have been on Silverseas smaller ships.   It is the largest ship I have ever been on. We usually stick to expedition type cruises. Please view any future coments through that lens.

We have sunny skies and calm seas and are just giddy to be back on the sea. The minor inconveniences were well worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I like that informal/formal optional.   Would love to see that roll out fleet-wide.

It already has.  Years ago.  Done by venue now.    This way anyone who wants to dress formally, informally, or casually can on any formal night.

1 hour ago, vaitape said:

REALLY?? Read that only jackets for men will be allowed at inside venues after 6 pm.

Correct.  On formal nights, men don't have to wear a jacket in any casual venue.  Of course, a jacket is required in any informal and formal venue for the evening.

4 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Did this apply to all venues?

Yes, if it was a venue that might have been 'formal' ie indoor restaurants.

Last night in Atlantide there was the full range from smart casual to total sequins - mostly smart casual. 

Spaccanapoli is always casual so no jacket required ... except that we are heading for Alaska ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Did this apply to all venues?

Do you mean the various restaurants?  I stayed dressed in the same clothing every evening for wherever I went.....not sure I always understand the question?....I will say I only saw one person that I took a double take on......it was the 2nd formal/informal night...we were in the theater and I guess I noticed it because the guy stood out.......he had one of those "untuck shirts" on.......it was a nice shirt but I would not consider it formal or informal really.  I know who it was and he had been feeling ill that day (no not Covid) but a tummy thing.......he felt well enough to go to the show but didn't put a tie or jacket on..........

6 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Yes, if it was a venue that might have been 'formal' ie indoor restaurants.

Last night in Atlantide there was the full range from smart casual to total sequins - mostly smart casual. 

Spaccanapoli is always casual so no jacket required ... except that we are heading for Alaska ...

Sounds good and hopefully SS is modernizing the attire code fleetwide.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Do you mean the various restaurants?  I stayed dressed in the same clothing every evening for wherever I went.....not sure I always understand the question?....I will say I only saw one person that I took a double take on......it was the 2nd formal/informal night...we were in the theater and I guess I noticed it because the guy stood out.......he had one of those "untuck shirts" on.......it was a nice shirt but I would not consider it formal or informal really.  I know who it was and he had been feeling ill that day (no not Covid) but a tummy thing.......he felt well enough to go to the show but didn't put a tie or jacket on..........

Yes, sorry, dining venues.  An untucked shirt doesn’t sound like it fits the formal/informal description for dinner but it sounds like the poor guy needed to get out of his cabin.  I doubt many people noticed in a dark theatre.