Marina’s Restart Cruise ….

ToxM

I'd like to know how the port stops are going. Is anything open? Are there local guides to tour with or is everyone taking an Oceania tour? With so few ships having not sailed in the Baltic for almost 2 years I am wondering if the tourism infrastructure catering to cruise ship passengers is still in place.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

I'd like to know how the port stops are going. Is anything open? Are there local guides to tour with or is everyone taking an Oceania tour? With so few ships having not sailed in the Baltic for almost 2 years I am wondering if the tourism infrastructure catering to cruise ship passengers is still in place.

We were in the Med, not the Baltic, but understand the issues were widespread.

First, why I hesitate to answer. Certain posters on this Board wanted to project policy and protocols enforce last January throughout the year. They were fortunately WRONG in doing so! Things are evolving rapidly. Last month, Some things changed on a weekly or even daily basis, and quite often toe to town.

So I will relate a couple facts that existed up till late July, which by now is ancient history:

1. Some stores, restaurants, and other businesses were either permanently shuttered or working on reduced hours due to a lack of labor.

2. We had tour companies that turned down our business and told us they were booking no tours until probably October, so to wait and see what happens. There were multiple health and business reasons for this.One example being an eight person van could only haul four people, making the tour overly expensive or a loss for the operator. 

3. we didn’t experience a major issue, but some cruise lines were having problems getting buses and drivers to run even the ship cruises.

There is no single answer to your question. Things are not back to normal. It may take a couple years for that to occur. Anyone expecting normal should stay home. Things are changing daily. Maybe nothing is the same since we flew home on 8/1. 

To re-enter the US from Europe on 8/1, we were required to have a Covid test not more than 72 hours before re-entering. The documents were checked by the airlines twice before boarding. I’m not sure if that requirement has changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Did you see the people in Hawaii who got into trouble because they had fake vaccine passports..they couldnt spell Moderna  (Maderna)

Now that is dumb..LOL

Jancruz1

Didn't they also have a child who was too young to be vaccinated, yet somehow had a vaccine card? 🙄

If you want to read reports from the currently sailing start up voyage of the Marina go to the Marina Roll Call for the August 29 sailing and scroll to the last page. Passengers onboard are bringing us up to date on what it is like to be on the first sailing since the Covid shutdown. It certainly made me more comfortable about how Oceania is dealing with starting to cruise again. I highly suggest you read the postings…

• Like 3

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

To re-enter the US from Europe on 8/1, we were required to have a Covid test not more than 72 hours before re-entering. The documents were checked by the airlines twice before boarding. I’m not sure if that requirement has changed.

I have a friend who's in Holland for a month. I should remind her to check on that. Do the airlines notify one?

19 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I thought I might ask them when we get there but maybe I should contact them now.

I would contact them.  I've found that the hotel we have for this fall very motivated to help us get what we need to repatriate.  That could be because we already have a relationship, or it could be just good business practice.

Edited by Kate-AHF

19 hours ago, patty1955 said:

That will be too early to help us. I'll have to keep looking.

I am going to Barcelona in October/November, not on a cruise.   Here is a good site with links to providers where you can schedule on line.    Be sure and schedule early enough to  be sure you get results back in time, but still within the 72 hours.   I read if a facility only tests Monday-Friday then they also only send out results on those days.   Definitely reach out to your hotel - I am sure they are well versed on the process and have testing labs they use.

https://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/all_about/barcelona_airport_bcn/covid_testing_in_barcelona

Joe

• Like 1

Regarding testing, there are testing centers in all the tourist areas that we visited in Italy and Switzerland last month.  Our hotels had relationships with Covid testing centers. Unfortunately, we did not realize that it was necessary for re entry until we were at the airport.  Since we were flying out of Naples, easy peasy, the testing center was right outside the front door of the airport and cost 10 euro.  It took about 5 min.  

Be sure to complete the EU destination entry form and download the QR code.  https://app.euplf.eu/#/   Italian authorities stopped the train at border of Switzerland and Italy to check QR codes for entry into Italy.  Other countries may do the same.

I am going back next week and staying at the same hotel in Sorrento.  I emailed the concierge  regarding the testing re entry requirements back into the US and he apologized that they did not know we were leaving for the US upon checking out and would schedule testing for us on our upcoming stay the day prior to departure.

One other thing, it was fantastic seeing Italy with very few tourists.  We were there for three weeks, Bellagio, Venice, Florence, Sorrento.  It was really a treat.  I’m anticipating Rome to be the same next week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 9/3/2021 at 2:33 PM, JoePDX said:

I am going to Barcelona in October/November, not on a cruise.   Here is a good site with links to providers where you can schedule on line.    Be sure and schedule early enough to  be sure you get results back in time, but still within the 72 hours.   I read if a facility only tests Monday-Friday then they also only send out results on those days.   Definitely reach out to your hotel - I am sure they are well versed on the process and have testing labs they use.

https://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/all_about/barcelona_airport_bcn/covid_testing_in_barcelona

Joe

Thank you for the link. Our hotel still hasn't answered our message but I found a clinic that does rapid antigen test for 45 euro and it's only 30 minute walk from our hotel. 

• Like 1

Has anyone heard whether the Marina passengers are going to be allowed to disembark in Stockholm given Sweden's recent ban on American travelers? The ban applies regardless of vaccination status according to the Forbes article that I read. It goes into effect September 6th and the Marina will be (should be?) disembarking passengers on September 8th. 

4 hours ago, avalong said:

Has anyone heard whether the Marina passengers are going to be allowed to disembark in Stockholm given Sweden's recent ban on American travelers? The ban applies regardless of vaccination status according to the Forbes article that I read. It goes into effect September 6th and the Marina will be (should be?) disembarking passengers on September 8th. 

I read on the rollcall for that Marina sailing that the expectation is pax can disembark without problem, as they are passengers in transit, an allowable exception. 

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I read on the rollcall for that Marina sailing that the expectation is pax can disembark without problem, as they are passengers in transit, an allowable exception. 

I presume that applies to those who are leaving on the day of disembarkation, but not to those who had scheduled a post cruise stay.  Hope the latter can adjust their flights and hotel bookings.

Edited by 1985rz1

42 minutes ago, gbits said:

Disembark port is now Copenhagen, as is the embarkation port for 9/20 cruise and, I believe, the 9/8 cruise.

Source for this comment?  This is not what I was told today when I specifically asked for details onboard. 

We fall into the "travellers in transit" exception, and from what I was told we will be able to disembark in Stockholm on the 8th.  

The 09/08 cruise itinerary has been revised to depart Copenhagen at 10:00 p.m. on 09/09 from the revised itinerary that was posted last night.

16 minutes ago, taxrunner said:

Source for this comment?  This is not what I was told today when I specifically asked for details onboard. 

We fall into the "travellers in transit" exception, and from what I was told we will be able to disembark in Stockholm on the 8th.  

The 09/08 cruise itinerary has been revised to depart Copenhagen at 10:00 p.m. on 09/09 from the revised itinerary that was posted last night.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that is what someone on that roll call posted.  Maybe it just applied to the 9/8 & 9/20 cruises. If I got it wrong, I apologize. 

6 minutes ago, gbits said:

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that is what someone on that roll call posted.  Maybe it just applied to the 9/8 & 9/20 cruises. If I got it wrong, I apologize. 

No problem.  Was just curious about your comment.