Carnival changing testing to 2 days prior...we Royal follow?

bajathree

Well I just heard that starting not this weekend but next weekend Carnival has announced that their testing requirement will go to 48hrs prior. Wonder if other cruise lines will start to follow....so may want to start making preparations if you are sailing in the next couple weeks.

• bajathree changed the title to Carnival changing testing to 2 days prior...we Royal follow?
9 minutes ago, ryano said:

I absolutely expect to see the same announcement from RCI today or tomorrow.   Im glad I have the Binax kits and my cruise leaves September 10. 

Yup..I leave on the 11th. Glad I got the Binax test also. I purchased it as my secondary test since scheduled my PCR for 3 days out. If Royal changes to 2 days the Binax will become my primary test as I wouldn't even bother trying to reschedule my PCR and hope it will be back in 2 days prior to boarding.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ADunk said:

Really considering getting the Abbott tests now... We are scheduled for tests next Thursday (9/9) for our sailing on Allure 9/12... 

I would grab them as fast as you can cause I think there is going to be a big run on them 😉

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Yup..I leave on the 11th. Glad I got the Binax test also. I purchased it as my secondary test since scheduled my PCR for 3 days out. If Royal changes to 2 days the Binax will become my primary test as I wouldn't even bother trying to reschedule my PCR and hope it will be back in 2 days prior to boarding.

But isn't that suppose to take affect on the 13th so wouldn't affect you?

1 minute ago, mauraoel said:

The CDC 2 day recommendation doesn't go into place till the 13th. We shall see if Royal even changes but if they do then will have to see what Royals effect day will be.

• Like 2

Well, this sucks for us. No testing near by that would work for us. We fly down to FL on 9/10 and need to leave for the airport at 9am. Really don't want to fly down there to find out I'm asymptomatic. This testing has been nothing but a PITA and stressful for out of staters flying in to cruise. I understand the protocols and accept the reason they are in place but 2 days is a little much...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

Just got this from notice from Carnival....so yes looks like Carnival at least will not implement till the 13th..So will see if Royal follows...

THIS IS FROM CARNIVAL:

**TESTING REQUIREMENT UPDATE**

Again, it’s very important that you refer to the “Have Fun. Be Safe” Health and Protocols Page as this will always have the most up to date info.

Based on CDC guidance, effective with sailings departing on September 13th and beyond, pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests must be taken within two days prior to sailing instead of three.

Don't panic early.  CDC isn't requiring any 2 day prior test until the 13th.  

While the cost of a test at embarkation isn't known, it could be cheaper than the home kit with 6 tests.  And you may be able to get reimbursed by your health care provider.

Plus, after 9/20 there could be changes for people getting a "booster" vaccine.

4 minutes ago, ADunk said:

Well, this sucks for us. No testing near by that would work for us. We fly down to FL on 9/10 and need to leave for the airport at 9am. Really don't want to fly down there to find out I'm asymptomatic. This testing has been nothing but a PITA and stressful for out of staters flying in to cruise. I understand the protocols and accept the reason they are in place but 2 days is a little much...

I don't think it will affect our sailing but we just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

MSC is 2 day after Nov. 1. (US cruises)

Purchased Binax last night as a backup plan.  They may have just become my primary.  

I'll still try to get local tests but with those becoming harder to score the Binax is a solid alternative.  

• Like 2

We have several cruises coming up. Headed out shortly to get a Rapid test at a CVS, the closest one that I could get a Rapid test appointment for is about a 30-to40-minute drive from here. There are several PCR testing sites available in Ft. Lauderdale, but very hard to get an appointment for a Rapid test. So glad I bought the 6-pack of tests from eMed, they are sitting here on my desk and will be our back-up plan. Trying to get a Rapid test is going to get even harder around here, and PCR tests take at least 1 to 2 days, or more, to get results. A 2-day testing requirement will make things even more difficult.  

20 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Don't panic early.  CDC isn't requiring any 2 day prior test until the 13th.  

While the cost of a test at embarkation isn't known, it could be cheaper than the home kit with 6 tests.  And you may be able to get reimbursed by your health care provider.

Plus, after 9/20 there could be changes for people getting a "booster" vaccine.

I'm willing to bet it won't be cheaper than the home kit. The home kits are $25-35 each test. The cheapest I've seen rapid tests at any pay up front place is around $65. I've seen prices vary between $65-95 for rapid. I would expect any testing at the terminals to be in line with that - if not a little more money.

• Like 1