Carnival - Pre-cruise testing will be 48 hours prior

ilovetotravel1977

Just watched La Lida Loca's video and since the CDC has recommended 2 days, Carnival has said they will be introducing 2 days vs 3 days pre-cruise test starting NEXT weekend.

Tony said John Heald mentioned Carnival will be possibly setting up testing (not for free) at the port, but not sure when that would happen. 

• Like 1

Coming from Canada with a Antigen test for US entry currently $126 where we live.

The new rule would make it a challenge to have it still valid on embarkation 

Paying for a second test prior to boarding could be the last straw .

Unlike Princess , Carnival refuses to offer a PCR to the limited number of 

passengers heading to an international flight. This would entail changing flight times and staying overnight at the airport. This is on top of the hefty airport test fees.

There should be more consideration to the fully vaccinated 

• Like 1

It is starting to get more difficult to plan a stress-less cruise all the while trying to keep costs down.  I wish we could do the Abbott monitored test here in Canada.  I would order our kits and plan the test to cover both our flight and embarkation .  We are cruising in Jan and I have not booked our flights yet.  I have hotels booked for 1 night or 2 nights prior to the cruise and now I wonder if I should not book one after the cruise to make sure we get  a back-up PCR test to come home (if RCL changes its policy of offering PCR tests for our return home).  

We have made our final decision yet as to whether we are going or not on the cruise.   Waiting to see how the protocols pan out over the next 2 months

Edited by cruzincanuck

12 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

Coming from Canada with a Antigen test for US entry currently $126 where we live.

Unlike Princess , Carnival refuses to offer a PCR to the limited number of 

passengers heading to an international flight. This would entail changing flight times and staying overnight at the airport. This is on top of the hefty airport test fees.

There should be more consideration to the fully vaccinated 

uh-huh. We're currently stuck at 29 cruises in total and will be for at least another year. I'm not putting myself through this nonsense just to cruise. When they get it figured out, then we'll think about it. And you're bang on about vaccinated people. Right now, afaic, most Canadian provinces are making far too much accommodation for unvaccinated people. Time to put the carrot away and bring out the stick and when it comes to cruising, there doesn't seem to be much benefit to being vaccinated if you have to jump through all these hoops. Screw it. We had 2 cruises booked for this fall and have cancelled both. Instead we'll fly to a smaller area in South Florida, rent a VRBO for 5 weeks near the beach with no crowds, stay by ourselves, won't go to restaurants or bars and will just enjoy the beach and lots of sunshine in private. The kicker? 5 weeks in the sunshine is actually cheaper than the two cruises we cancelled and gets us away for an additional 3 & 1/2 weeks. Who knows? Maybe we wont be in such a rush to get back to cruising.  

• Like 3

Apparently HAL just came out with the same news.   Although they have said limited testing will be available at the Pier (although not free).   

I just made my final payments (a few days ago but two weeks earlier than required) for b2b cruises starting 5 Dec.

Since COVID started (approx Mar 2020), I have been booked on a trip approximately every six months.  So if a trip gets cancelled, at least I know that I have one coming up in only 6 months.  So far, two trips have been cancelled and rescheduled (Dec 2020 to Dec 2021 and July 2021 to July 2023).

From all message boards I have been reading, it seems that getting tested in the US for a cruise is more difficult to find than Canada.   

I am flying direct Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale and hopefully they will have a system set up at the airport for a Rapid Antigen test like they have at the Toronto Airport.   Apparently results take approx 30 mins.   

I am only flying in the day before so the one test should suffice.   With the short period requirement, the cruiselines are going to have to at least offer testing to be available at the pier because that two day window will be hard for some people to meet and alot of people are saying that its too much stress and are cancelling.   Whether its free or not, that’s a whole separate issue.

2 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

Apparently HAL just came out with the same news.   Although they have said limited testing will be available at the Pier (although not free).   

I just made my final payments (a few days ago but two weeks earlier than required) for b2b cruises starting 5 Dec.

Since COVID started (approx Mar 2020), I have been booked on a trip approximately every six months.  So if a trip gets cancelled, at least I know that I have one coming up in only 6 months.  So far, two trips have been cancelled and rescheduled (Dec 2020 to Dec 2021 and July 2021 to July 2023).

From all message boards I have been reading, it seems that getting tested in the US for a cruise is more difficult to find than Canada.   

I am flying direct Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale and hopefully they will have a system set up at the airport for a Rapid Antigen test like they have at the Toronto Airport.   Apparently results take approx 30 mins.   

I am only flying in the day before so the one test should suffice.   With the short period requirement, the cruiselines are going to have to at least offer testing to be available at the pier because that two day window will be hard for some people to meet and alot of people are saying that its too much stress and are cancelling.   Whether its free or not, that’s a whole separate issue.

Fort Lauderdale does have a testing system.

Just search online for Fort Lauderdale airport covid tests.

They do both antigen and pcr. (I was going to fly out of that airport and had already done my research).

5 hours ago, K_e_short said:

They do both antigen and pcr. (I was going to fly out of that airport and had already done my research).

HAL has already told me that they will provide the appropriate test for my return to Canada.   I will make a booking for the test tomorrow for 3 Dec.   And maybe one in the morning of my flight out just in case.

5 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Any idea what they charge and how long it takes to get results? 

thanks for the info btw

7 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

According to its website, YOW doesn't offer a testing facility currently, and it appears that they have nothing in the planning stage. Instead, the website provides a link to the Riverside Travel Medicine Clinic:  https://www.travelclinic.org/  At $80 for a rapid antigen test, it's twice the price of Shoppers Drug Mart.

Well it seems RCCL have made the change too. I have flights and hotel booked and was within the 72 hour window now I will need a 2nd test to board. Not cruising till February but these constant changes are becoming tiresome. Not even sure why they made the change to 48 hours. Fully vaccinated and likely will have third shot by then. What to do what to do. I’ll hang tough for now as final not due till November and who knows what the rules will be by then

22 hours ago, pistnbroke said:

If your cruise is Sunday and flight is Saturday, get your antigen test done on Friday.  It will meet both requirements.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

According to its website, YOW doesn't offer a testing facility currently, and it appears that they have nothing in the planning stage. Instead, the website provides a link to the Riverside Travel Medicine Clinic:  https://www.travelclinic.org/  At $80 for a rapid antigen test, it's twice the price of Shoppers Drug Mart.

I saw that.    In Sante Medic in Gatineau is charging $150 for a Rapid Antigen.  Price gouging or what?

13 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I thought Shoppers Drug Mart was offering antigen tests for $40?

Those sounds like high prices... 😞

Yes, they are.    And the prices vary.   So far in Ottawa… Shoppers - $40 (available at certain locations), Riverside Medical - $80, Sante Medic - $150.   

I am going to phone around to make an appointment for Shoppers that do it here in Ottawa.  Will let you know.

• Like 1

The Antigen tests are expensive here in Montreal.  None of the pharmacies- drugstores are offering it.  So far the least expensive one has been a drive thru at $75.00 Go test rapide and the most expensive $150 at Biron 

I am also looking at the return from the cruise for the PCR test.  Looks like the Miami airport might be our best chance as a back-up if RCL changes their policy for providing a test for international travellers to return home

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Yes, they are.    And the prices vary.   So far in Ottawa… Shoppers - $40 (available at certain locations), Riverside Medical - $80, Sante Medic - $150.   

I am going to phone around to make an appointment for Shoppers that do it here in Ottawa.  Will let you know.

it looks like most if not all Shoppers does the $40 antigen test.

It's the PCR test that is limited (Carling Avenue. Bank Street, Walkley Road Montreal Road locations)

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I thought Shoppers Drug Mart was offering antigen tests for $40?

Those sounds like high prices... 😞

The $40 tests are only available in Ontario and Alberta 😞 Here in BC I can do a rapid antigen test at YVR with results back in 30 minutes or less but it will cost me $129/person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcwife76 said:

The $40 tests are only available in Ontario and Alberta 😞 Here in BC I can do a rapid antigen test at YVR with results back in 30 minutes or less but it will cost me $129/person.

That is horrible. Book a flight that has a stopover in Ontario or Alberta?

Seriously that is just one more frustration for Canadians TRYING to travel 😞

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I think broberts is right. The travel Gods are saying; "It's not travel time yet folks!"

Oh I'm not travelling until next March and not cruising until Summer 2022.

But I can still be helpful and suppotive to those that want to travel and try to navigate through the complexities of testing, etc.

• Like 1