Question on timeline of 72 hour Covid 19 PCR test

jhooks61

We are on the "Journey to Antiquities" cruise November 8-15th.  Viking is requiring the PCR test 72 hours prior to departure.  My question is: Does my timeframe end with me getting on the plane on November 7th at 2:20 in the afternoon or does it end when we arrive at the airport in Rome November 8th, 9:30 am?  Big time difference there.  I know there are some pharmacies that give 24 hour results but don't want to go over the 72 hour timeframe.

10 minutes ago, jhooks61 said:

We are on the "Journey to Antiquities" cruise November 8-15th.  Viking is requiring the PCR test 72 hours prior to departure.  My question is: Does my timeframe end with me getting on the plane on November 7th at 2:20 in the afternoon or does it end when we arrive at the airport in Rome November 8th, 9:30 am?  Big time difference there.  I know there are some pharmacies that give 24 hour results but don't want to go over the 72 hour timeframe.

It could be either depending on the country.  Best to find a government website for Italy.  I know on the Spain website it says 72 hours before your arrival time for the PCR tests and 48 hours before arrival for the RAT rapid antigen test.  For returning to Puerto Rico for us it is 3 days not 72 hours which is tighter.

Check the resources tab for your cruise on the Viking website.  There is a document out there that outlines all the embarkation requirements.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/journey-to-antiquities/resources.html

For Italy, the PCR or Antigen test must be taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy for US visitors.  This information is also at this site:

http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html

We are flying into Venice leaving Sept 30 arriving Oct 1.  We plan to get a PCR test at CVS the morning of Sept 28 and a backup rapid test (not sure where yet) on Sept 29 just in case the CVS results don't come back in time.  You can book appointments at CVS 2 weeks in advance.

2 hours ago, jhooks61 said:

Viking wants the PCR to be 72 hours before your first flight. Italy wants a test (PCR or Antigen test) 72 hours before arrival in Italy.

Remember Italy is 6 hours ahead of us (east coast time), so if you do the backwards math for 72 hours at home and add 6 hours you'll be covered for both the Viking requested 72 hours and Italy's requested 72 hours. I hope Viking changes the PCR requirement, since it is getting harder and harder to get PCR tests within 72 hours (friend had one that was 70 hours - that's cutting it too close) and accepts the rapid result. 

52 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Remember Italy is 6 hours ahead of us (east coast time), so if you do the backwards math for 72 hours at home and add 6 hours you'll be covered for both the Viking requested 72 hours and Italy's requested 72 hours. I hope Viking changes the PCR requirement, since it is getting harder and harder to get PCR tests within 72 hours (friend had one that was 70 hours - that's cutting it too close) and accepts the rapid result. 

I am assuming the number of hours are what’s counted irrespective of time changes. Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, TinaLee said:

And in many smaller cities, it is almost impossible to get a weekend COVID test at any cost unless you have COVID. Sadly, we may have to cancel our cruise over this. 

Remember currently the PCR test is strongly recommended by Viking, not required by Viking.
I understand their thinking for the recommendation; it's to prevent last minute chaos should a country suddenly change its entry requirements. However we're in an area where it's nigh impossible to get the 72 Hr PCR test results for our Wednesday departure especially because Monday is Labor Day holiday. Getting tested Tuesday AM and hope for the best, else the H*** with it.
Sadly despite my best efforts to remain calm over this conundrum it has destroyed much of the fun anticipating our cruise. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Remember currently the PCR test is strongly recommended by Viking, not required by Viking.
I understand their thinking for the recommendation; it's to prevent last minute chaos should a country suddenly change its entry requirements. However we're in an area where it's nigh impossible to get the 72 Hr PCR test results for our Wednesday departure especially because Monday is Labor Day holiday. Getting tested Tuesday AM and hope for the best, else the H*** with it.
Sadly despite my best efforts to remain calm over this conundrum it has destroyed much of the fun anticipating our cruise. 

Share your pain Phil. For the UK travelling to Malta I don't have an impossible timeframe like you have, but nonetheless, I still feel like these laboratories have their own license to print money (lots of it) and their attitude and t&c are disgusting. No refunds if they fail or no longer need is not playing fair.

Having seen the post boxes for our biggest testing labs "Randox" overflowing in public, it demonstrates a complete disregard to their responsibilities. Their responses to complaints for this is even worse. 'go somewhere else then". Not a good reply IMHO.

I'm undecided if I'm going to get the pre test, but will probably use them for the 2 day return test. If they lose that, I'm back, so it's actually their problem and won't be paying again if they fail.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, w1234 said:

Check the resources tab for your cruise on the Viking website.  There is a document out there that outlines all the embarkation requirements.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/western-mediterranean/journey-to-antiquities/resources.html

For Italy, the PCR or Antigen test must be taken no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Italy for US visitors.  This information is also at this site:

http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/covid-19-updates-information-for-tourists.html

We are flying into Venice leaving Sept 30 arriving Oct 1.  We plan to get a PCR test at CVS the morning of Sept 28 and a backup rapid test (not sure where yet) on Sept 29 just in case the CVS results don't come back in time.  You can book appointments at CVS 2 weeks in advance.

The resources tab for the Netherlands hadn't been updated on Sept 4th when we had received an email Sept 3 at 10:15 pm with the new requirements telling us that we'd need a negative PCR 48 hours prior to departure and that we'd now be embarking Emmerich, Germany so I'd double and triple check other sources as well as your TA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Squawkman said:

I am assuming the number of hours are what’s counted irrespective of time changes. Am I wrong?

I'm wondering about this too.  I was calculating as follows:  My plane will land in Venice at 9:20 am on Oct 1.  I'm in the eastern time zone so that is 3:20 am Oct 1 at home.  Backup 72 hours so that means I can get the test anytime after 3:20 am on Sept 28 and be compliant.  Is that correct?  I'm sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on CC so feel free to point me to a different discussion.

Traveling in the time of COVID is not for the faint of heart. I  will take a PRC test on Saturday Oct 9 for my flight to Malta  on Oct 11  arriving in Malta on Oct12. I will  pay $119.00 for a quick 24 hr turn around with with nasal PCR test. I will stay in Barcelona one day after our cruise. The Saliva test onboard will be  adequate for me to fly back to the USA on Oct 19.

The days of   easy travel ,sign up for a cruise , call. your travel agent, or  stay at a  resort vacation  without another thought in the world is over for the foreseeable future.  

Maybe traveling is reverting to the  time of our ancestors in the 1800- mid 1900's with all  type of things to  think of  before, and during one's travels.  

Traveling in the "Time of Covid " is what is on our plate. 

Edited by Azulann

9 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Thanks!

4 hours ago, w1234 said:

I'm wondering about this too.  I was calculating as follows:  My plane will land in Venice at 9:20 am on Oct 1.  I'm in the eastern time zone so that is 3:20 am Oct 1 at home.  Backup 72 hours so that means I can get the test anytime after 3:20 am on Sept 28 and be compliant.  Is that correct?  I'm sure this has probably been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on CC so feel free to point me to a different discussion.

Correct! 

9 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I fully identify with you and I am a few months away. Last week I came to realize the 72 hour requirement just can’t be met.  We live in an intermediate size city and there are no possible  ways to be tested on the weekend except by claiming to have COVID, WHICH I’m not prepared to do.  Plus no antigen tests are even done. Viking needs to come up with an acceptable home test solution for people in smaller cities.This is just too stressful. I feel for you. The only solution likely is an Urgent Care. Best of luck.

12 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I fully identify with you and I am a few months away. Last week I came to realize the 72 hour requirement just can’t be met.  We live in an intermediate size city and there are no possible  ways to be tested on the weekend except by claiming to have COVID, WHICH I’m not prepared to do.  Plus no antigen tests are even done. Viking needs to come up with an acceptable home test solution for people in smaller cities.This is just too stressful. I feel for you. The only solution likely is an Urgent Care. Best of luck.

Unfortunately it's not really Vikings domain here and they have zero control over what tests different governments implement and different times which cause so much stress. The onus should be on governments to provide a proper test service which is both cheap and convenient and not as it currently appears to be - clunky, unmanageable, confusing and a license to print money. I've zero problem with needing tests (i actually support it), but it must be easier and timescales and locations that are possible.

In this instance, you've not started your vacation. In the same way, Viking are not responsible for any 2 day after return tests the UK insist on and I wouldn't expect them to...... and I say this as I'm about to book an unnecessary pre flight PCR "Just in case rules change" and the 2 day after return PCR. I'm still undecided whether to bother with the pre flight. Viking advise to - and its mostly to get round last minute changes which could mean a cancelled cruise. If the UKs infection rates were rock bottom and no new "mu", I'd take the chance. Not convinced its not really good advice now as it genuinely could change within the next week in Malta.

Edited by les37b

12 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Tried the Urgent Care places first. All said that results would be 2-4 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Tried the Urgent Care places first. All said that results would be 2-4 days.

Oh my. This is awful. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine the stress. Here's hoping you can get the test done. We had an emergency situation where an associate needed the results faster. He took the test to a lab and was able to get results back within 24 hours. Good luck. Keep us posted.