The Daily for Sunday September 05, 2021

richwmn

8 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

@cat shepard

Where did you find the Three Brooms?  I checked Total Wine & ABC here in Central Florida with no luck 😔

I found it at Publix near my friend’s. I had stopped on my way to dinner yesterday.

But when I checked my Publix on the way home, it did not have it. Mine is one of the smaller ones, though. I will be stopping in to see their “sommelier” to see if they can start stocking it without too much of a price increase. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas.  It looks like the predicted somewhat cooler weather is going to be late, and we'll stay in the upper mid 90sF for the week.

It took me awhile to judge my time better so now I'm not late.  In our little community, if you're not 15 minutes early to a party, you're late.  I remember pet rocks, but never had one.  Charity in all forms is needed, and should be celebrated everyday.  Cheese pizza is okay, but prefer topping added or at least a Margareta pizza.

Really like the quote, and hope I can practice it.  The quote may explain why one of Coolidge's nicknames was Silent Cal.

The devastated cause by Ida is horrible as is the devastation caused by the wildfires and drought in the western US and Canada.  My heart goes out to all who are affected by them.

Will pass on the drink, but it was my father's favorite drink.  The meal uses too much vinegar for me, but the wine sounds nice.

Today's port is another Austral8an port we have not been to, so I'm looking forward to pictures.

I better get the first load of laundry started.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning  to  all. Thanks Debbie, @dfish, for  the  recipe. It  is  bubbling  away  on  the  stovetop as  I  type. Hopefully  it  will  be  well  received  by  the  extended family  tonight. It  smells  great  in  the  house.

It  is  cooler  today  and  cloudy and  we  were  able  to  sleep  with  windows  open  last  night. My  earlier  walk  with  Fred  revealed piles  of  debris  on  the  curbs  from  a  lot of  neighborhood  houses. The  city  is  doing  a  special  pickup  for  this I  think  on  Tuesday.

My  family  laughs  at  my  inability  to  be  late  for  anything,often  showing  up  15  minutes  early like @grapau27. I  remember  DS  complaining  as  a  teenager  that  we  were  the  first people  to  an  event. All  the  time......

Cheese  pizza  should  have  its'  own  day  and  International  charity  is  important. We  have  not  been  to  the  port and  look  forward  to  pictures.

Terry

• Like 22

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda, one of the notes at the bottom of today’s recipe suggests replacing the vinegar with lemon juice. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

I still have some juice from my 2020 Meyer lemon crop, so I will try this recipe with lemon juice. I will probably wait for our real Fall weather to arrive though.  

Ann

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda, one of the notes at the bottom of today’s recipe suggests replacing the vinegar with lemon juice. Not sure if that makes a difference to you.

I still have some juice from my 2020 Meyer lemon crop, so I will try this recipe with lemon juice. I will probably wait for our real Fall weather to arrive though.  

Ann

That would be a great substitution.   I love lemon and also lime.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Debbie, that is another name for the rye bread recipe that you provided. Some places still bake the bread in the ground using the geothermal heat. 

I was wondering.  I saw the geysir bread when I was there but never had the chance to sample it.  I do remember every meal we had in Iceland was wonderful.   

• Like 9

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I hate being late for anything, yet we have friends who are perpetually late - argh.  Cheese pizza is great - as a base.  LOL  We have specific charities we contribute to, and I still knit toques every day for adults and children who will need them during our long winter.  Never had a pet rock - obviously, I've lead a deprived childhood.  LOL

@richwmnlike chocolate, you had me at scotch.  I'll take mine neat.  @jimgev we've sung Scotch & Soda countless times over the years; DH also plays guitar.

For the past few years a national grain company has sponsored Labour Day weekend fireworks in the downtown core.  There, throngs of people gather along the riverbank to enjoy the spectacle - we didn't feel comfortable going there this year, so instead, we walked a few blocks away to a hill in a park and sat there enjoying the higher blasts.  It was a lovely evening - no wind, no mosquitos, just a million stars and the fireworks.

It's a quiet day here on the "frozen tundra", so I think we'll start looking at the flower pots, deadheading ones that need it and start pulling out those that are almost finished their blooms.  The temperature is going up to 27C (80F),  quite typical of late summer/early fall weather here, which is quite nice.  

I looked at today's menu and it reminded me of salsa chicken, except that you marinate the chicken, rather than pouring the salsa over and baking it.  DH and I went out yesterday and bought some hot dog buns so tonight we can turn on the barbecue and grill some smokies.  Along with a tossed salad, that's what will be found on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

I don't like doing one post after the other, but CC wouldn't let me edit my post.  I wanted to include some good news - after being away for a few days, there was a letter in the mail telling me that the results of my mammogram were ... NORMAL.  Yay!!!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I don't like doing one post after the other, but CC wouldn't let me edit my post.  I wanted to include some good news - after being away for a few days, there was a letter in the mail telling me that the results of my mammogram were ... NORMAL.  Yay!!!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Yippee Gerry! That's the best news! We will toast to your "normalcy" tonight! 🍷

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I hate being late, and since DH is retired military there isn't much chance of me ever being late -- usually early 😉  Cheese pizza is good, but I prefer some toppings -- the cheese pizza at the Big Box store is surprisingly good though. Charity should be every day, and I've never had a pet rock.

The meal sounds good, but I would definitely substitute lemon juice for the vinegar. 

@cat shepardI always get NZ Sauvignon Blancs, but have never seen this at our local Total Wine 😞  And we don't have Publix out here.  Will keep my eye out for it though! Thank you for adding a white wine today!

No big plans for today, we're slowly getting ready to leave on the 21st (it's coming up fast!) for our cruise on the Eurodam.  That plus port changes are keeping me busy. 🙂  Never a dull moment!

@ger_77great news!  Celebrate!

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Hooray for the good news.

• Like 9

Good morning, all! Of the selection of days, I’ll pick Cheese Pizza to celebrate. The quote is good, and the meal looks interesting for the cool wet weather that has finally set in. I’ll try the lemon juice substitution though. I’ll have a look for,that alternate suggestion wine!

Port Lincoln is an Australian port we have neither visited nor been turned away from. All pictures greatly appreciated!

It is still wet today, which is a good excuse to do some printing. Or to organize the Tupperware cupboard. We shall see.

Happy Sunday to all, and a scotch and soda salute to those on BHB today!

8D2EB992-4286-4ED5-8265-CB33DA50574F.thumb.jpeg.8b0a95ea4887d5349294b64c94b6160e.jpeg

• Like 18

Greetings from the Nieuw Amsterdam! It's a lovely morning with some blue skies and the sun shining through. It was bumpy last night and the wind was howling but quite pleasant today. We have our Meet and Greet at 2:30 and there's a lot going on according to the When and Where. Next step is to get cleaned up and get DH moving so we can attend a few presentations and listen to some music at Lincoln Center. It's also the Silver Gala night tonight. 

Karen

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all,  I was up early and went to the grocery store, double masked.  I figured that was okay, but we are not going to church, to sit beside other people for an hour or more.  I don't want to pass on any germs even if they are not covid.  DD seems to be over whatever she had, or maybe it was all in her mind...  That negative test was a great relief!

I am usually early for appointments, but the doctor's office now wants you to be right on time; they won't let you in early.  We had good friends when we lived in Kenya who were always late, usually by an hour or more.  One dinner party, Pat invited them for an hour early, and when they arrived, the other guests were amazed that we had managed to get them there on time.  I don't think that trick worked a second time!

Now that we have finally got the news of our itinerary changes on Eurodam, we can settle down to getting organized.  I need to have a good look at my suitcase, as it has had some damage over the years, and has become difficult to maneuver.  I may just have to get a new one, but nowadays it is really difficult to get rid of the old one.  No one wants  battered old luggage.  I have a feeling I may need a larger size to accommodate all the masks, hand sanitizers, etc. that I will have to pack!  But then again, how much longer am I going to be able to travel, maybe I can just patch up the old one, and rely a little more on free laundry to make space for the masks...

Happy Labrador Day Weekend, everyone!

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all,  I was up early and went to the grocery store, double masked.  I figured that was okay, but we are not going to church, to sit beside other people for an hour or more.  I don't want to pass on any germs even if they are not covid.  DD seems to be over whatever she had, or maybe it was all in her mind...  That negative test was a great relief!

I am usually early for appointments, but the doctor's office now wants you to be right on time; they won't let you in early.  We had good friends when we lived in Kenya who were always late, usually by an hour or more.  One dinner party, Pat invited them for an hour early, and when they arrived, the other guests were amazed that we had managed to get them there on time.  I don't think that trick worked a second time!

Now that we have finally got the news of our itinerary changes on Eurodam, we can settle down to getting organized.  I need to have a good look at my suitcase, as it has had some damage over the years, and has become difficult to maneuver.  I may just have to get a new one, but nowadays it is really difficult to get rid of the old one.  No one wants  battered old luggage.  I have a feeling I may need a larger size to accommodate all the masks, hand sanitizers, etc. that I will have to pack!  But then again, how much longer am I going to be able to travel, maybe I can just patch up the old one, and rely a little more on free laundry to make space for the masks...

Happy Labrador Day Weekend, everyone!

The suitcase is going to get battered by the airlines and stevedores, Anne.

Do you have any women shelters there for battered, abused women?  They need all the suitcases they can get usually as most leave just throwing things in bags.

• Like 21

Our air quality index is 296 this morning. I am getting cabin fever from not getting to do things outside. Today's project will be to find a good flight to visit my son in Mobile. It will be my first trip without my service dog. Major hurdle for me. I think I will have a cheese pizza for dinner tonight with wine. 

• Like 21

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Ann

Ann, thanks tor the heads up about the lemon juice, I'll definitely substitute it for the vinegar.  Lime juice might also work.

Confession time, I really didn't get very far into the recipe after seeing 1 cup of vinegar; so I missed the note about the lemon juice. The sauce I make for pulled pork calls for 1 cup of apple cider vinegar and I use 1/2 cup.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Always a relief to get that letter!  YEAH!

Lenda 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1