Question about cancellation fees

espmass

I apologize if this is a really dumb question.  I read somewhere on the Boards that Oceania charges a $250 administrative fee if cancellation is 91 to 120 days prior.  I also understand Oceania "holds" this fee and it will be applied to a future cruise.  I also read there is a sliding scale of charges for cancellations closer in such as 25% of fare for 76 to 90 days, 50% of fare for 61 to 75 days, and so on right up to 100% for 0 to 30 days prior.  My probably dumb question is, are those fees also applied to future cruises just the same as the initial administrative fee?  Thanks so much for any answers!

1 hour ago, espmass said:

I apologize if this is a really dumb question.  I read somewhere on the Boards that Oceania charges a $250 administrative fee if cancellation is 91 to 120 days prior.  I also understand Oceania "holds" this fee and it will be applied to a future cruise.  I also read there is a sliding scale of charges for cancellations closer in such as 25% of fare for 76 to 90 days, 50% of fare for 61 to 75 days, and so on right up to 100% for 0 to 30 days prior.  My probably dumb question is, are those fees also applied to future cruises just the same as the initial administrative fee?  Thanks so much for any answers!

The answer to your question is found in the T&Cs on the O website. Scroll to the bottom of the O homepage. Select “Company Info” then “Legal” then “T&Cs.”

The administrative fee happens a month before your full payment date and the money is deducted from your deposit if you choose to cancel in that window before your full payment. As I understand it, there is no obligation for Oceania to apply it to a future cruise but they have been in the habit of doing so.

The sliding scale charges are actual cancellation charges or penalties. They will be deducted from your full payment if you decide to cancel in those windows. There have been exceptions during the covid times and future cruise credit and even refunds have been offered - another reason for using a good Oceania knowledgeable TA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robjame said:

The administrative fee happens a month before your full payment date and the money is deducted from your deposit if you choose to cancel in that window before your full payment. As I understand it, there is no obligation for Oceania to apply it to a future cruise but they have been in the habit of doing so.

The sliding scale charges are actual cancellation charges or penalties. They will be deducted from your full payment if you decide to cancel in those windows. There have been exceptions during the covid times and future cruise credit and even refunds have been offered - another reason for using a good Oceania knowledgeable TA.

You too may want to read the T&Cs (as regards O’s obligation for conversion of the administrative fee to an FCC).

BTW: Currently, O has not been issuing any new FCCs or providing any existing FCC “cruise by” extensions past 12/31/22. Refunds and/or applied FCC redeposits only.

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You too may want to read the T&Cs (as regards O’s obligation for conversion of the administrative fee to an FCC).

BTW: Currently, O has not been issuing any new FCCs or providing any existing FCC “cruise by” extensions past 12/31/22. Refunds and/or applied FCC redeposits only.

"The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

Whenever the word "may" is used, the discretion of Oceania comes into play. 

In my experience,  our TA has been able to facilitate  beneficial changes to the Terms & Conditions, which is why I suggested using a TA connected to Oceania. 

Regardless, your suggestion of reading the T & C is an excellent one and surely should be done by everyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robjame said:

"The Administrative Fee may be converted to a Future Cruise Credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within 2 years of date of issue."

In my experience,  our TA has been able to facilitate  beneficial changes to the Terms & Conditions, which is why I suggested using a TA connected to Oceania. 

Regardless, your suggestion of reading the T & C is an excellent one and surely should be done by everyone.

Agree that “may” can be interpreted in different ways (including “you may choose to receive an FCC.”). That said, I’ve never heard of anyone being denied. Of course, with the current FCC issuance hiatus, who knows....

FWIW: While we have always used a TA (for extra perks/problem solving), there are occasions where we start a booking with a trusted long-serving/well-respected O phone rep and/or O Club Ambassador (both of whom can quickly get requests for REASONABLE policy exemptions/exceptions handled) and then transfer it to the TA. Of course, the O Club Ambassador adds “book onboard” perks/discount.
And, with a recent collection of FCCs (due to O 2021-22 cancellations) in play with multiple new bookings, I have found that our preferred O phone rep has considerable leeway in policy flexibility (e.g., deposits/FCC use) when multiple new bookings are at hand. That saves our “transfer to” O preferred partner TA in reserve for any situation where “push comes to shove” may be needed to get what we need to have happen.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your replies.  We are new to Oceania with our first cruise booked for 2/7/22.    We are totally excited to be trying Oceania after years on Princess, but we are also nervous about possibly losing money if we decide to cancel later based on Covid issues.  With the full payment coming up 11/1, we are nervous about whether or not to keep this or cancel.  We are not really worried about contracting Covid but are worried about possible restrictions on the various islands (it's a Caribbean itinerary) and even on the ship.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: While we have always used a TA (for extra perks/problem solving), there are occasions where we start a booking with a trusted long-serving/well-respected O phone rep and/or O Club Ambassador (both of whom can quickly get requests for REASONABLE policy exemptions/exceptions handled) and then transfer it to the TA. Of course, the O Club Ambassador adds “book onboard” perks/discount.
And, with a recent collection of FCCs (due to O 2021-22 cancellations) in play with multiple new bookings, I have found that our preferred O phone rep has considerable leeway in policy flexibility (e.g., deposits/FCC use) when multiple new bookings are at hand. That saves our “transfer to” O preferred partner TA in reserve for any situation where “push comes to shove” may be needed to get what we need to have happen.

You are certainly more experienced than I am, and I would trust your advice before I would trust mine.    😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, espmass said:

Thank you so much for your replies.  We are new to Oceania with our first cruise booked for 2/7/22.    We are totally excited to be trying Oceania after years on Princess, but we are also nervous about possibly losing money if we decide to cancel later based on Covid issues.  With the full payment coming up 11/1, we are nervous about whether or not to keep this or cancel.  We are not really worried about contracting Covid but are worried about possible restrictions on the various islands (it's a Caribbean itinerary) and even on the ship.

No one will know what the situation is in Feb

The situation changes daily  lately

If you are concerned it may be time to cancel  now & wait until things are safer  in the Covid world

Your Admin fee  will be applied to a future cruise

The rest of your payment  can/may  be covered by Insurance

Check for  a trip cancellation insurance  where you can get most of the funds returned if YOU decide to cancel  "Cancel for any reason"

Read the fine print

There is a forum on cruise insurance might be worthwhile to browse  there  as well

If the cruise line cancels  you will get your $$ back

It is  a personal choice & only you can decide  what is best for  your situation

JMO

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, espmass said:

Your angst is understandable. 
That said, we’ve got six future segments booked (totaling more than 100 nights throughout 2022 and early 2023) booked. And although I fear a possible repeat of Covid related cruise modifications/cancellations, my past experience with O’s responsibility and fairness in these tough times, puts my mind at ease about the $$$ for which I’ll either get the cruises or full refunds.

21 minutes ago, Robjame said:

You are certainly more experienced than I am, and I would trust your advice before I would trust mine.    😄

Thanks. However, I’ve certainly made some travel choices over the years that didn’t work out the way they were supposed to!

In fact, later this week, we’re headed up to the NorCal Coast to attend one of our favorite annual wine/food weekend series of events (various reservations made many months ahead). Yes, you guessed it: The event has been cancelled. Fortunately, we love the area (Mendocino). So we’re going anyway.

Next trip? Kauai later this month. Got all our various reservations, tickets et al. set. And then the HI Governor recently suggests “Don’t come until after October.” We’re going anyway. And, although fully vaccinated, we’ve reserved PCR tests at SFO before departure - just in case HI decides to restart testing even for vaccinated US residents.

So, bottom line: Travel for the foreseeable future is uncertain at best. But, as a geezer with “clock ticking,” staying home indefinitely is not acceptable.

• Like 3

Ditto Flatbush, 

We too have have about 7 Oceania cruise segments, 100+ days,  booked into 2023 and like so many, will be booking Vista cruises next week into 2023. Our personal concern is the EU vs US Covid issues as we sail October 18 from Istanbul and then the State Department has Turkey on its No Travel list. 🤬🙏

Espmass, like what was said previously, Oceania is very good about working with you.  Make sure you are working with a good, Oceania Connoisseurs Club Agency because they have the necessary business relationships with Oceania and their services can be invaluable.  Your review of your Terms and Conditions is important and confirm if you covered under their Travel Assurance Program, TAP, as that might provide you some reassurances as well.

If in doubt and and it’s time to make the Final Payment and you have not slept well worrying about your decision, Cancel! There will be another cruise, another sale, another opportunity to cruise on Oceania. 
Gerry and Bonnie

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

...So, bottom line: Travel for the foreseeable future is uncertain at best. But, as a geezer with “clock ticking,” staying home indefinitely is not acceptable.

Exactly.  That clock is ticking very loudly for us, and consequently we are willing to contort and jump through more hoops to travel than I ever thought.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robjame said:

I think you might be reading too much in to the meaning of "may". You are defining it as "maybe" while I think Oceania is just saying in a nice way that you "can". 

When we got to the last date when we could cancel without forfeiting administrative fees, we cancelled our January cruise.  Too many unknowns for us. Now I notice that our formerly heavily booked cruise has lots of available cabins in almost all categories.  If things change between now and the end of the year we’ll rebook on the same cruise. We’re vaccinated and will get a booster when available but too many port closings and the thought of having to wear a mask onboard was just too much.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Exactly.  That clock is ticking very loudly for us, and consequently we are willing to contort and jump through more hoops to travel than I ever thought.  

I believe the clock is ticking loudly for the cruise lines also. I don’t believe that the cruise lines will be able to cancel much of the upcoming Nov-April cruise season and come out whole on the other end. I like wise believe that running at ~ 50% capacity for that stretch will be almost as financially damaging. 

We are going to book a Vista cruise for 2023 along with another O cruise. We have two 2022 cruises already booked. If NCLH ends up canceling much of its upcoming season, we’re bailing. They can only live off deposits so long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I believe the clock is ticking loudly for the cruise lines also. I don’t believe that the cruise lines will be able to cancel much of the upcoming Nov-April cruise season and come out whole on the other end. I like wise believe that running at ~ 50% capacity for that stretch will be almost as financially damaging. 

They can only live off deposits so long.

You have hit a nerve about some things that have been troubling me as well. Your comments on another thread about ports getting restless of ships parking, financial articles about cruise line solvency, recent methods of generating revenue.

2 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

When we got to the last date when we could cancel without forfeiting administrative fees, we cancelled our January cruise.  Too many unknowns for us. Now I notice that our formerly heavily booked cruise has lots of available cabins in almost all categories.  If things change between now and the end of the year we’ll rebook on the same cruise. We’re vaccinated and will get a booster when available but too many port closings and the thought of having to wear a mask onboard was just too much.  

Is Oceania requiring masking onboard now? I naively assumed that with all onboard vaccinated that perhaps was not being implemented. I also confess that I have not been following the cruising business very closely because I did not book any cruises after our 3/11/20 return from our lovely Riviera Caribbean cruise. However, I hope to cruise again on Riviera in the Caribbean in mid-January and while I would be fine to mask in the corridors, elevators and entertainment venues I would not enjoy doing so while lounging in the shade of the pool deck.

Edited by CintiPam