Bacon

highflyingrealtor

We left UK in 1967, so take this for what it is worth 🙂 'English' Bacon was always Irish or Danish. Must say that some posts seem to be confused, especially those that compare 'English' Bacon to Canadian Bacon - they are not remotely alike. I enjoy Canadian Bacon but in different settings. English Bacon has much less fat than American Bacon - some would call American Bacon 'Streaky Bacon'. The meaty section of English Bacon rasher is a little closer to Ham in consistency but has a different flavor than Ham.

I think English Streaky Bacon cooked crisply would be close to American Bacon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, john watson said:

True, and of course bacon is not technically a dairy product even though the milkman delivers it.

Regards John

Wow. Haven't seen or heard of a milkman in decades.

My wife once had the mother of a child she was watching freak out when she saw my wife was feeding the child eggs. She freaked because, "She can't have dairy!!!""  Yes, eggs are in the dairy department in the grocery store but they definitely aren't a dairy product. People don't have to be smart to have kids.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I know. It is so sad. Gone is the milkman, the Helms Bakery truck, the Fuller Brush man, encyclopedia salesmen and the Hoover vacuum salesmen.

All have been replaced with the Amazon delivery man/woman. We're inclusive now too 😉.  Service didn't improve but you can get all that type stuff still delivered to your door.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I know. It is so sad. Gone is the milkman, the Helms Bakery truck, the Fuller Brush man, encyclopedia salesmen and the Hoover vacuum salesmen.

Yeah, now they call you on the phone at dinner time instead of knocking on your door.  😒 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Once saw a passenger make a 5 inch thick or so bacon sandwich using toast in the buffet.  Probably 15 or so strips.  This memory has weirdly stuck with DW and myself for quite a while, maybe because we tell the story every now and then.

A guy on Cunard was sharing a big table which included myself told the breakfast waiter that he didn't want a full breakfast because he only liked bacon.  The waiter said he could have just bacon if he wanted, so he had that.  When it arrived it seemed a lot and he decided to tally up the rashers, twenty seven.  He ate the lot.

Lol John

• Haha 2

On 9/11/2021 at 8:32 PM, NSWP said:

Re Turkey bacon, in Asia, well Singapore, Hong Kong, you will mostly get turkey bacon in the hotel breakfast buffets. Not mad about about it, but better than no bacon at all !!  Also some hotels in Sydney, Australia have turkey bacon at breakfast as well as the normal pork bacon.

I am not too keen on the American style nuked/cremated bacon either, although will eat it if no English style available.

1403466151_th(1).jpg.01dc2e2634d670789d87cee8051c816c.jpg

You know, the odd thing is that turkey bacon is a bit lower in calories (not much difference though), pork bacon has more protein, turkey bacon less fat overall, but not much different in saturated fat, pork bacon much lower in sodium (huge for those with high blood pressure), and pork bacon has more vitamins and minerals, especially selenium which helps prohibit cancer.  So, I prefer pork bacon for the flavor and the look, since the healthier bacon depends on your overall health...do you need to avoid the sodium or the fat.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

A related topic, Eggs ! I noticed in Europe on Princess the eggs have lovely deep colored yolks. We only get that in US with local farm eggs. Store bought are insipid, pale yellow.

Need to go with Eggland's Best Organic eggs!  Much healthier than generic brands.

3 hours ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Once saw a passenger make a 5 inch thick or so bacon sandwich using toast in the buffet.  Probably 15 or so strips.  This memory has weirdly stuck with DW and myself for quite a while, maybe because we tell the story every now and then.

Like this?  This is the perfect camping breakfast...

image.jpeg.2937e99dc63ac25074cfd0fe3059baa3.jpeg

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Need to go with Eggland's Best Organic eggs!  Much healthier than generic brands.

Thanks I will try them.

50 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

And soon they will be disposed by an Amazon delivery robot that resembles R2D2.

Might have to be 3cpo R2D2 does not have hands to ring doorbell 🙂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Yes....  I'm under doctor's orders that if it tastes good I have to spit it out.  🥨🥩🍟🍕🍩😢

I heard a story from a nurse who was speaking with a gentleman who had been told if you eat fried chicken take the skin off it.   Apparently he did this but instead of discarding the skin he simply ate that first.  He thought that was the procedure.

Regards John

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, john watson said:

I heard a story from a nurse who was speaking with a gentleman who had been told if you eat fried chicken take the skin off it.   Apparently he did this but instead of discarding the skin he simply ate that first.  He thought that was the procedure.

Regards John

But that's the best part!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Know what you do when a doctor tells you to give up bacon, wine and chasing women?

My doctor told me I should only eat bacon and drink alcohol on my days off from work. So I retired. 

It's true that I told her that during a visit. She totally cracked up laughing.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2