Covid on 9/4 Encore

SomewhereGirl

"Most" of the these crew members were asymptomatic.

Surprised they are allowing cancellation this close to sailing but good I guess for those who are concerned.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line for your vacation at sea.

Health and safety as it relates to you and our crew is unequivocally our first priority. With this in mind, and given our commitment to transparency, we are writing to advise you that a small number of our fully vaccinated crew tested positive for COVID-19 onboard our September 4, 2021 Norwegian Encore voyage. Most of these crew members were asymptomatic, and per our well-established Health & Safety protocols, they are isolated onboard for 7 days and are being carefully monitored by our medical team. All close contacts were isolated as well.

Our Health & Safety protocols are the most stringent across the industry, and our commitment to them is unwavering. All guests and crew on board are 100% fully vaccinated and we take great care in maintaining a safe and clean environment onboard all our ships. We have further enhanced our already rigorous Health & Safety protocols, and, as always, we strongly encourage you to wash your hands often and frequently use the many hand sanitizers available throughout the ship. Furthermore, we strongly encourage you to wear a mask, especially while indoors, and ask you to maintain social distancing.

In addition to working to keep you healthy and safe, we want you to be comfortable and happy. We always seek to provide you with an incredible cruise experience, so while your cruise will continue to operate with the highest possible safety standards and we expect all onboard activities to continue and our normally scheduled itinerary to operate as planned, we are providing you with the choice to keep, change or cancel your upcoming reservation. If you:

1) wish to change your reservation aboard the September 11, 2021 to a future date, or
2) choose to cancel your reservation,
please be sure to contact us at 1-800-327-7030 or contact your travel professional by September 10, 2021.

Guests that opt to cancel will receive either a monetary refund of the fare paid or a future cruise credit (FCC) worth 110% of the cruise fare paid valid for one year from issued date. Guests must contact us by September 10, 2021 to notify us that they wish to cancel and submit a case to Guest Relations at https://www.ncl.com/case-submission within six months from the voyage end date to receive the monetary refund or FCC.

As always, we are at your service, and look forward to seeing you soon!

Sincerely,

Katty Byrd
Vice President, Guest Services

• Thanks 3

This is the same letter they gave people on the 08/28/2021 sailing, just with the date changed. I hate to say this, but this started with the sailing I was on (8/21), they just didn't acknowledge it. 

It is what it is though. If you thought you would be 100% safe from the virus on the ship, you were sadly mistaken. It is probably safer than being at let's say Disney World or Land though. 

The virus is everywhere with the Delta variant and we are now seeing the new Mu variant starting to emerge. Unfortunately it is here to stay.

Stay Safe Everyone!

• Like 1

It's too bad for any of the crew.  If it's true they are not allowed off in port that means they catch Covid from the passengers.  Testing can only do so much and I guess someone could pick up something in port and pass it along.

I'm still going.  They need passengers to make a living and I need a vacation.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

Looks like the (protective) bubble has burst.  Kinky Boots and Choir of Man shut down for who knows how long.

The “bubble” is violated every time a passenger gets on the ship. The performers routinely eat in the Garden Cafe with the regular passengers. And attend performances in the show rooms. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Old & Retired said:

Looks like the (protective) bubble has burst.  Kinky Boots and Choir of Man shut down for who knows how long.

I would have liked to see these on the cruise I had scheduled that never happened- I wonder what other changes would happen in entertainment- I used to be able to get up and play on stage at Howl at the Moon (non-Encore of course) and the District- I am sure those days are over.

Its just sad as NCL is doing the best they can - now we have variants and nothing is going to be completely safe there will always be a risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerooveride said:

This is the same letter they gave people on the 08/28/2021 sailing, just with the date changed. I hate to say this, but this started with the sailing I was on (8/21), they just didn't acknowledge it. 

It is what it is though. If you thought you would be 100% safe from the virus on the ship, you were sadly mistaken. It is probably safer than being at let's say Disney World or Land though. 

The virus is everywhere with the Delta variant and we are now seeing the new Mu variant starting to emerge. Unfortunately it is here to stay.

Stay Safe Everyone!

I am booked this weekend and would like to know for those who were on 8/21, how different were the actual protocols on board?  Was masking enforced on all indoor areas?  Was there blocked off seats in the buffet, theater or comedy shows?  I cruise NCL mostly for the great entertainment and if that is not going to happen AND there are stringent masking protocols I’m not sure what to do.

2 hours ago, chefchick said:

I am booked this weekend and would like to know for those who were on 8/21, how different were the actual protocols on board?  Was masking enforced on all indoor areas?  Was there blocked off seats in the buffet, theater or comedy shows?  I cruise NCL mostly for the great entertainment and if that is not going to happen AND there are stringent masking protocols I’m not sure what to do.

My understanding is there is no masking on board. 

The vaccines will never be 100% and testing will give a negative result during the incubation period.  That unfortunately means there will be occasional cases on board no matter what NCL does.  The good news is these breakthrough (well, they're breakthrough assuming people presented legitimate vax docs) cases should be pretty mild in the vast majority of instances.   

Unless they cancel my sailing, I'll see you at the pier!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SomewhereGirl said:

It's too bad for any of the crew.  If it's true they are not allowed off in port that means they catch Covid from the passengers.  Testing can only do so much and I guess someone could pick up something in port and pass it along.

I'm still going.  They need passengers to make a living and I need a vacation.

Seems like they could also catch it from workers they come in contact with in ports when the ship is restocked etc. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, home-mom said:

Seems like they could also catch it from workers they come in contact with in ports when the ship is restocked etc. 

I suppose that could happen, but I would hope that the ports would have mask requirements for their employees like the NCL has for their crew.

I think posts like this will create a lot of panic. You can get covid even after 2 shots, my friend just tested positive after both Pfizer shots. All we can do is wear a mask, wash your hands, get a test before your cruise, and hope for the best. Masks aren't 100%, but better than nothing. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chefchick said:

The only reserved things I saw was in the theater, but that was for Haven guests. No protocols at all: no masks, serve your own food in the buffet, sit next to anyone you want, etc . . .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phillygwm said:

My understanding is there is no masking on board. 

They are highly encouraging people to wear masks and observe social distancing.

So there is masking on board it's just mandated like other lines.

Directly from the email today: Furthermore, we strongly encourage you to wear a mask, especially while indoors, and ask you to maintain social distancing where feasible. 

Edited by J0Y0US

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

They are highly encouraging people to wear masks and observe social distancing.

So there is masking on board it's just mandated like other lines.

Directly from the email today: Furthermore, we strongly encourage you to wear a mask, especially while indoors, and ask you to maintain social distancing where feasible. 

Interesting, the FAQ still lists masks as not required.  I know there's a difference between "not required" and "strongly encourage[d]"  but they probably realize that people will start bailing if it becomes a mandate.

Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew through December 31, 2021, therefore face coverings are not required for cruises prior to December 31, 2021.

On Europe sailings only, local government regulations requires all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible.

Edited by phillygwm

9 hours ago, zerooveride said:

I saw plenty of Porters at Pier 66 without masks on.

If that's true then that's a gross on NCL's part.  I know they don't run the Port of Seattle but I'm surprised the P of S wouldn't have the requirement.

With that said, I still think it's a heck of a lot more likely that crew are picking up Covid from passengers, most of which had to travel to Seattle and could've picked up something along the way that wouldn't show up on a embarkation test.  It's OK if some people on CC don't agree.  

Don't forget to kiss your room steward goodnight. 😉 💋

8 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Interesting, the FAQ still lists masks as not required.  I know there's a difference between "not required" and "strongly encourage[d]"  but they probably realize that people will start bailing if it becomes a mandate.

Are face coverings required?

Our cruises will operate with 100% vaccination of guests and crew through December 31, 2021, therefore face coverings are not required for cruises prior to December 31, 2021.

On Europe sailings only, local government regulations requires all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible.

Yes I was simply pointing out there are masks being worn and encouraged unlike zero masks comment

Also fairly sure the trip reports have commented many people had started wearing masks as well. 

Edited by J0Y0US

11 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Yes I was simply pointing out there are masks being worn and encouraged unlike zero masks comment

Also fairly sure the trip reports have commented many people had started wearing masks as well. 

On the 8/28 sailing I was actually surprised how many people did wear masks. My party of 4 did regularly. I think it increased as well after we got the letter about staff in quarantine.

In general though it was very relaxed, there did not seem to be any angst of maskers v no maskers, and at times the no maskers would make an apologetic comment in a lift. If anyone is nervous, I wouldn't be, it didn't feel risky. I did, however, take the stairs a lot. Thanks to Judo I can power up stairs like a boss!

• Like 1